Darkside Bar, Soi 33, BKK

farangbah

WARNING: SOAP BOX - RANT - POLITICAL OPINION

(sorry if i ramble on, i've tried to be lucid and concise)

IMHO these circumstances regarding DS's viability are the direct and long-term result of events that took place shortly after DS opened a few years ago ... in a community of bars that is so small compared to GG bars it too bad that back then DS had to suffer so much BS because it was seen as direct competition/threat to a long established (yet soon to be failing) LB bar and then later others with similar management ... unlike Johnny and Marco, when they first opened Paradise in Raja car park, who then went door to door to other venues to say hello, good luck, glad to be in the mix, anything we can do to contribute to the LB scene let us know ... and then went on to further forward the state of LB lounge bars in BKK by forming the triad of Paradise, Chaos and DS, offering BMs VIP cards and great promotions, and now offering to assist the girls from DS who may need it ... they put words into action rather than just spew vitriol and condemnation of other bars in an effort to garner all the LB custom. 

its too bad that some folks in TH see other LB venues as a threat rather than a strengthening of the market place by offering more diversity within that niche, and truly having an agenda to set new bars off on the wrong track through misinformation, dirty tricks and defamation in an effort to selfishly corner all the custom within that niche (with total disregard for the customers experience and the fiscal health of other persons willing to take the leap into the bar scene, and the welfare of the staff in these bars) ... hopefully in the future we won't see events like this and that BMs on these sister forums would actually go to a new venue and check it out for themselves rather than being swayed by the biased opinions of unscrupulous bar owners who have an agenda to monopolize the niche, offer only one brand, and simply want it all for themselves.

IFO think that diversity in the market place (regardless of industry) should help to promote the industry as a whole and foster better business for all concerned, great products for the consumer, and provide a stable work environment/income for those workers who gravitate towards it.

DS bar was a breath of fresh air in a small stagnating scene, Chris the owner was/is a stand up guy who should have been left alone to manage his bar without having to fight an uphill battle needlessly created by others that was meant to derail his efforts ... operating a business is tough enough, operating a LB venue with all its associated issues makes it that much more difficult, let's hope that in the future when new LB venues open they are not immediately saddled with BS PR issues that have nothing to do with reality, and everything to do with BS business practices by the others in the business. 

as i state above, this is just one guys opinion, and i am sure others will take exception to it and have something different to say ... that is their prerogative.

• Upvote 6

DS bar was a breath of fresh air 

I rarely make it up to Bangkok and when I do I stay over in a str8 mate's place for a night or two and hang with him. As a result I hardly ever get to ladyboy bars in Bangkok.

So I was just at Darkside once.  From the moment I walked in I loved it. The layout was great and so was the vibe.  Chris wasn't there so I never had the chance to meet him but it seems everyone has a nice thing to say about him.  Then my buddy Soc999 popped in so it really felt like home.  If I lived in Bangkok it would have been my local.

Well I liked the joint but must admit It was a tad hard to find on my first visit .

All in all a good relaxed place and the honeys did not get pushy for drinks ,now

that's a big plus for me at any bar I go to.

Is it to early to say R I P Darkside.

So has Darkies closed for sure or is it opening soon....I am in town on the 25th and would like to visit

the Bar again.

It is closed till a new rent deal is agreed....

Girls have moved to chaos9, paradise and some went to chang mai.

No excuse now to get the DS girls as too far away, LOL....

Chris is still under medical treatment in UK on a long time recovery path.

• Upvote 1

Thanks SP gotta admit as much as I am on TF it is always on the Pattaya board, so completely out out of touch with Bangkok scene

You're probably missing out on over 600-700 lbs by only viewing the Pattaya Board on TF, (that's all the other areas, including Bangkok).

You're probably missing out on over 600-700 lbs by only viewing the Pattaya Board on TF, (that's all the other areas, including Bangkok).

I know, i know stupid me but its just that Pattaya as of the last few trips is where i have spent 90% of my time when in LOS

I know, i know stupid me but its just that Pattaya as of the last few trips is where i have spent 90% of my time when in LOS

by the time i get through the 50 *very* doable lb options on the pattaya board (out of the 200 moderately doable), the *last* thing i need do is add another 500 to muddle through and murky the waters of my indecision.

ahhhhhh......

thailand.

feast or....

well, more feast....

:drinks:

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to hear that Darkside might be no more... I got to meet Chris a few years back and loved the establishment and it's laid-back vibe. The girls were great, the prices right, and the music even better.

I know Chris has struggled with his health for some time now, hopefully if this venue does close there will be a silver-lining positive impact on his health. That's the only positive I can find in this.

• Upvote 2