reasons to be cheerful-part 3

Not another music thread you may say....with a slight twist I hope...the soul thread has been great (even tho' im not a soul music fan)-its been a real eye opener for me....and Lefty had a creedence Clearwater thread-hell,we've even had a Glen freakin Campbell thread....So I think theres room for one more....Question is...which song cheers you up the minute you hear it,which song gives you that feelgood factor (Dr Feelgood maybe?)...which song do you like to put on the proverbial turntable whenever youre feeling down? I have a few myself.......

Ironic you should start this thread, Big Pimpin'...

Flashback: Two months ago, give or take. You, me and BB at the PBG (which, coincidentally, often plays good tunes). Conversation turns to music, and I try a lick or two of a song that had come back into my head recently. And I've gone on to post it here. Well, that song has become my party starter, a little ritual of mine.

Few things in life are more exciting than your first night back in Pattaya, it having been a year or just two weeks. Getting ready to go out, that tangible excitement in the air. Well, on that first night, and most other nights since our conversation, as I've started to get ready to go out and crank up the tunes, this one has always been the first, often times being repeated ad nauseam.

This is song craftsmanship on display here, boys, and a pop masterpiece. It fills me with positive energy, has it's correlations to Pattaya, and is just. plain. neck-bobbin' catchy...

So, without further adieu, I give you the latter-day Kinks' hit, "Do it Again":

• Upvote 2

Great stuff guys.......gotta admit ,never heard the Let there be rock ac/dc before....the 70's were largely an alcoholic haze for me....I missed out on loads of stuff in the 70's...I remember that night in PBG farangbah....I couldn't recall that Kinks song either...its a great track,nice one FB.

Yeah,thats what I mean,songs that get you in the mood before you go out....this next one is another fav of mine..manchester band JAMES with a cover of my favourite singer/songwriter...the genius Leonard Cohen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrshYK0TMA4

edit-never head that glenn frey song either-i hate admitting my ignorance....nice one katana

Good idea indeed Willie. Played this on Youtube in the room a lot when I go back to Los last October. Got me in the summer holiday mood just before I headed out for a night on the tiles. Starts off a bit slow..

"July,fizz bombs in my mouth,

Babarama everywhere,

I can't lie on my pocket trout

So I sit back in the easy chair"

Mundy:-July

• Upvote 1

One of Mr Simon's best tunes,especially when the horns kick in on the 2 minute mark.

Great contributions guys,you got me again on that one BB-(never heard of Mundy)-but its definitely my kinda thing.....I bet you've had a few fizzy bombs in your mouth in Pattaya BB-5555

Welcome back Leftster....we missed ya big lad....

Jim,I was never a big ska fan(with a few exceptions)bit I love some of the Specials stuff ,including this one,in my top ten favourie tracks,no matter what time of the day I hear this,it puts me in a good mood....Ghost town...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI&feature=player_detailpage

Lefty also gets a great deal of enjoyment from watching his favorite Mellencamp song/video.

Lefty has a thing for the little barefoot black cutie playing the banjo, only to realize she is probably in her mid 40s by now and not quite as adorable anymore.

Siam Sam has a thing for the dude playing upright bass. Don't repeat that though. He told Lefty in confidence once while he was well into his cups. A not too infrequent occurrence for Sam.

• Upvote 1

great video Lefty...yeah,she's a real cutie on the banjo.Jeez,is that America in the vid-it looks more like Issan-5555

It gives the impression of the deep south states, but it could really be many other places too. I do not think that is totally an authentic town, because at the beginning of the song when the camera is moving quickly past the fronts of some of the houses, you can for an instant see one that appears to be just a false front supported by a cable.

The video appears to be to be two takes of the same song, that are then edited and spliced together to make the final product. Some of the folks in the crowd appear, disappear, then reappear at too frequent intervals to be just one straight through video shot of them performing.