reasons to be cheerful-part 3

Funny, I was never an RnB fan until just recently. I hated the stuff back in the day, but now I find myself loving it with the added perspective of age and nostalgia.

I should note that the same applies to Led Zeppelin - hated them back in the day; have a vast appreciation for them now (at least the later stuff - still can't hear "Dazed and Confused" or some of the more basic numbers without cringing).

This track used to get played over a late-night public service announcement that ran during the shows I'd watch at 3AM after getting home drunk back in my partying youth. I still see the visuals for the ad as I hear the song - "Brought to you by the Ad Council of America".

This is Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes featuring Teddy Pendergrass on lead vocal. Song was written by McFadden and Whitehead, also members of the group at that time.

• Upvote 2

She would cheer anyone up mr lefty,I much prefer it to the Canadian national anthem you posted...btw-are Canadians really that stoopid?

They ain't stupid aye. But they are either drunk aye, or just aboot drunk aye, most of the time. I was 20 yrs old before I ever knew any who didn't smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish. The Canucks of English descent though, they are usually better folks than most Americans.

Here's a great album by one of rock's legendary artists, who's never had the success as a solo artist that his work with the Velvet Underground would have suggested.

Lou Reed is the only successful ex-member, which I think is God's way of making a joke.

This is John Cale from his classic Honi Soit album from 1981:

• Upvote 1

"Misty Mountain Hop"

Walkin' in the park just the other day, Baby,

What do you, what do you think I saw?

Crowds of people sittin' on the grass with flowers in their hair said,

"Hey, Boy, do you wanna score?"

And you know how it is;

I really don't know what time it was, woh, oh,

So I asked them if I could stay awhile.

I didn't notice but it had got very dark and I was really,

Really out of my mind.

Just then a policeman stepped up to me and asked us said,

"Please, hey, would we care to all get in line,

Get in line."

Well you know, They asked us to stay for tea and have some fun,

Oh, oh, he said that his friends would all drop by, ooh.

Why don't you take a good look at yourself and describe what you see,

And Baby, Baby, Baby, do you like it?

There you sit, sitting spare like a book on a shelf rustin'

Ah, not trying to fight it.

You really don't care if they're coming, oh, oh,

I know that it's all a state of mind, ooh.

If you go down in the streets today, Baby, you better,

You better open your eyes.

Folk down there really don't care, really don't care, don't care, really don't

Which, which way the pressure lies,

So I've decided what I'm gonna do now.

So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains

Where the spirits go now,

Over the hills where the spirits fly, ooh.

I really don't know.

Guest Stroker

I know my good buddy Henry VIII is probably not a "happy camper" given the recent footy game. so here's something to cheer you up mate!

When I am in Patts for a long stretch and not in the market most nights, I find myself humming this great track as I wander the sois, savouring the atmosphere, content in the knowledge I don't need to dabble no matter how hard the girls try to sell themselves. It always puts me in a good mood. :biggrin:

"I'm just looking I'm not buying

I'm just looking keeps me smiling."

• Upvote 1

This one takes me back to 1983 while a group of 6 of us from England were picking grapes (Vendage) in a small French town of Buis les Baronnies.

I was 22 and there was this gorgeous French girl of around 17 working with us called Nathalie who I grew very fond of (despite her hairy pits).

After we had finished the "Vendage" we decided to stay on a couple of days and I arranged to meet Nathalie at a Cafe at 10am for those two days.

It was about a 30 minute walk from my tent but I got there at 7-30am Lol, the Cafe had a jukebox and I played this tune numerous times whilst drinking Red Wine and eating Cheese and Croissants with the Locals.

We spent most of those two days together, I "cherished" every minute with her and was "gutted" when I had to move on to another town

Myself and Nathalie became pen-friends for years after but nothing ever materialised even though we only lived across the Pond :(

On to 2009 and the same tune now also reminds me of a Ladyboy I met in Bangkok, I spent a few nights with her and shes probaly the only girl Ive met that has had me both completely "mesmerised" and bamboozled" at the same time. :crazy:

Her name...Cartoon (Cartun), and she made my earth move alright, unforgetable :hot:

Both great memories that will live forever and for completely different reasons :spiteful:

Heres the tune by AC/DC that brings those happy times back to me

post-136-0-16788400-1337699033_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

And so summer is finally here !

Spent a lovely afternoon lying in the park listening to great tunes and relaxing .

Strawberries and cream for tea !

Dylan's Blood On the Tracks and Nick Drakes Five Leaves Left get honourable mentions before we got the harder stuff .

I'd forgot how good this is ........ beautiful .

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's one I'm a relative newcomer to - I just watched the George Harrison documentary by Scorcese and they played a bit of this from the Concert For Bangladesh film. I knew this song as a Spock's Beard tune, never realized it was a cover of the Harrison original

Beware of Darkness

Here's one I'm a relative newcomer to - I just watched the George Harrison documentary by Scorcese and they played a bit of this from the Concert For Bangladesh film. I knew this song as a Spock's Beard tune, never realized it was a cover of the Harrison original

Beware of Darkness

If someone was to put me on the spot & ask me what's my favorite album ever, I'd have to say George Harrison's Concert for Bangledesh.

Here's too more tracks from that album, Billy Preston with 'That's the way God Planned It' (I've posted it before, but it's worth doing again) & George Harrison's 'Whah Whah'. I could do 'Awaiting You All' & so many other tracks, but i'm hogging this already.

I used to see him a lot in one of our local music pubs, he was a quiet inoffensive bloke who just sat n the corner with a jug of ale wearing a 'Rasta tea cozy hat', I was so utterly devestate after he died... And he just wasn't there anymore!