ICU and Ventilator Stats

Pdoggg

I'm thinking that perhaps the best metrics to track Covid trends in Thailand are ICU and Ventilator stats.  Hospitalizations are probably extremely misleading in Thailand since asymptomatic people are sometimes hospitalized.  Deaths are a lagging indicator.  New cases are a function of testing.

Being seriously ill is what most of us are really concerned about which is what ICU and ventilator stats track.  OK, being sent to a field hospital while healthy is a concern too.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/  is a website where you can track this on a daily basis. In the screenshot below, on the bottom right of the graphic, I believe the Purple 495 are Thailand ICU patients not on a ventilator and the Lavender 115 are the number of people in Thailand on ventilators.  But even if I'm wrong and the 495 includes the 115 on ventilators, it doesn't really matter for daily trend purposes.

If this interests anyone then feel free to post a screenshot if you visit the site in the future.

Screen Shot 2565-01-10 at 21.24.30.png 

• Like 2

I'm thinking that perhaps the best metrics to track Covid trends in Thailand are ICU and Ventilator stats.  Hospitalizations are probably extremely misleading in Thailand since asymptomatic people are sometimes hospitalized.  Deaths are a lagging indicator.  New cases are a function of testing.
Being seriously ill is what most of us are really concerned about which is what ICU and ventilator stats track.  OK, being sent to a field hospital while healthy is a concern too.
https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/  is a website where you can track this on a daily basis. In the screenshot below, on the bottom right of the graphic, I believe the Purple 495 are Thailand ICU patients not on a ventilator and the Lavender 115 are the number of people in Thailand on ventilators.  But even if I'm wrong and the 495 includes the 115 on ventilators, it doesn't really matter for daily trend purposes.
If this interests anyone then feel free to post a screenshot if you visit the site in the future.

1567615297_ScreenShot2565-01-10at21_24_30.png.cfcf14f893378af1e2d051ed7943a3b3.png 

I'm wondering, how much the sheer increase in (ATK) testings had to do with Chon Buri getting to the #1 spot on the daily COVID charts...

Metrics must be country specific IMO... Because the # of people going to a hospital (or to 'hospitels') in Thailand can hardly be compared to the # of people who have tested positive in farangland and go to hospital there because I think in farangland people go to hospital only (or at least primarily) if they're symptomatic... If they're asymptomatic they simply stay at home...

In Thailand many people are sharing one bedroom or are sleeping in a common sleeping area. In Thailand it is not common that everyone has their own room - at least not for lower class Thais...

And even in farangland, the situation differs from country to country (Portugal vs. the UK or the US for example).

(Sorry, can't open the webpage

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

- probably because my ISP / VPN location is outside the LOS...)

In summary: Yeah I totally agree with you: The ICU occupancy rate (or even the absolute number of people in ICUs) is a better short-term indicator than absolute case numbers I think...

• Like 1

I had expected ICU stats and Ventilator stats to trend in the same direction.  But ICU is trending slightly upward recently and more serious Ventilator is trending downward.   But both are much lower than before Omicron hit Thailand so that's good news. 

Screen Shot 2565-01-18 at 00.56.42.png