Kiwi's Born After 2008 Will Never Be Permitted To Buy Smokes

Pdoggg

New Zealand on Thursday announced plans to prevent young people from ever being able to buy cigarettes as part of an initiative to make the country entirely smoke-free by 2025.

The measures will mean that anyone born after 2008 will not be able to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products in their lifetime, while the level of nicotine in cigarettes available to older people will be reduced.

• Like 1

Bravo New Zealand!

it's about time we honestly address the most lethal and addictive drug that is pervasively distributed to the population.

no drug kills more.

the other one is sugar.

the entire western world is so addicted that most of us can't even go a morning....let a lone a full day without a fix. And when abused, it's destructive properties for health and wellbeing are well documented.

• Like 1

I am with Dukey on this. Much as I wish I never started smoking and would love to quit for good, choice should still be available to young people. Yes one could argue it is good thing to stamp out smoking by extreme measures, the fear is where does it stop? Do they go after alcohol next, or put limiters in all cars so they can't go above 70mph? maybe a timer on your television so you can't watch more than two hours per day? We are becoming too much of a nanny state overall in the west.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, duke007 said:

I'm just very very thankful I was born when I was (1961) B), would hate to be a youngster growing up in this world nowadays. :biggrin:

I agree. Freedom of Choice is the way.

yet its a travesty that cigarettes have been allowed....and distributed to everyone in corner stores.......yet so many other drugs that are much less toxic, more beneficial and way way less addictive are made illegal. 

I wish alcohol was not so important in our society. I bet that one has taken years off my life. Not worth it.

but don't get me wrong.... I support freedom to choose.

• Like 1
On 12/10/2021 at 3:09 AM, duke007 said:

I'm just very very thankful I was born when I was (1961) B), would hate to be a youngster growing up in this world nowadays. :biggrin:

Same (born '62, though). Apart from youthful good looks and fitness, I can't think of any reason to want to be young now.

NZ's smoking ban is  another blow for the kill every last bit of pleasure in life mob. Hopeless. They would suck the fun out of everything. And it will only create a huge underground black market for fags, run by criminals ... attempts to ban anything that many people still like to do always end that way. Idiots. 

• Like 1

according to the World Health Organisation 1.3 million people die annually world wide in traffic accidents.

So why aren't the health fascist's -  so prevalent and growing stronger for years along with their P.C mates... proposing banning road traffic in 2025? because it's not fashionable, that's why. They have had their fun recently with all this lockdown /enforced vaccination/ [which from what i read doesn't actually prevent catching coronavid]

but don't worry, they know what is best for you.

one day the world will realise that they have been fooled.

Me, i'm glad i'm the age i am,  i want no part of this stay in your room Brave New World.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Says the man who has given up alcohol and meat!

what on earth does that have to do with anything?

i haven't given up meat, all i have said is that i eat very little of it. But yes i was totally vegetarian from around '69 until 2005.

alcohol? yes, i don't like thai beer. Gin and tonic is the drink for me but tonic seems to react with the statins i take.

The difference between me and you QG is that i don't expect people to starve to protect me. i don't expect people to lose their homes. I would prefer people to live, not exist.

If people want to drink alcohol, fine. up to them, fuck all to do with me, nor do i preach to them. What is to do with me is the world that your Doctor and scientist heroes with letters after their name are destroying.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Says the man who has given up alcohol and meat!

What’s wrong with that?
I’m vegetarian since mid 90s, gave up drinking around the same time as I was too good at it. Couldn’t remember shit the day after. I can still have a beer or drink occasionally, as I don’t believe in prohibitions, be it alcohol or tobacco. 

1 hour ago, blind boy grunt said:

But yes i was totally vegetarian from around '69 until 2005.

Good, BBG.

2 hours ago, seven said:

What’s wrong with that?

Nothing. I wish I could be vegetarian but I like meat. I don't eat it so much now, mainly because it has got expensive. My substitutes (more carbs) are probably even more unhealthy. I could be totally vegetarian in countries where they have more vegetarian food, like India where they have thousands of years of vegetarian cooking and it's more varied and tasty.

I don't drink much alcohol now too. Since February my total alcohol intake has been 3 cans of lager (while watching the England v Italy Euro final), two bottles of Merlot consumed over two weekends, and a litre bottle of Baileys because it was on offer in the supermarket. I find that now it takes me 2-3 days to get over a hangover.

But I may have to start building up my alcohol consumption over Xmas/New Year to get ready for my trip to los in Jan/Feb - I have to boost Emmy's Bar takings after a difficult 18 months!

• Like 1

I think we can all respect those who have made sensible and healthy choices. It's not really about prolonging life (who wants to live til 90 or 100? I don't!) but enjoying the quality of life you have now. But the key words there are choice and enjoyment. No one should force healthy choices on anyone because they're then not choices anymore .. they're forced compliance, which alas seems to be a feature of this Covid world right now. And if people still get enjoyment out of eating red meat, smoking, drinking alcohol (me, me and me) ffs let them get on with it... let them (me!) alone!

I've no interest in living long into the world the nasty authoritarians of the future threatens us with. I do hope I'm in the dirt before some idiot government introduces a "social credit" scheme, where you're ranked and rewarded for so-called good behaviour... 

*Mini-rant over!*

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

I think we can all respect those who have made sensible and healthy choices.

And if people still get enjoyment out of eating red meat, smoking, drinking alcohol (me, me and me) ffs let them get on with it... let them (me!) alone!

What about wearing the 'Rainbow' laces Jimmy? :rolleye0012:

7 hours ago, Quietguy said:

Nothing. I wish I could be vegetarian but I like meat. I don't eat it so much now, mainly because it has got expensive. My substitutes (more carbs) are probably even more unhealthy. I could be totally vegetarian in countries where they have more vegetarian food, like India where they have thousands of years of vegetarian cooking and it's more varied and tasty.

Expensive there? I find it disturbingly cheap here. You can buy ham or pork here for basically nothing while the healthier food such as fruits and vegetables are way too expensive.

India is probably the best place for vegetarian diet but this excuse isn't really valid today. Many say its too hard to find nutrious veggie food, but its not except for Eastern Europe and South America maybe.

Go easy on carbs such as pasta and rice, its not very healthy. Eat a lot of beans, great protein.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

It's not really about prolonging life (who wants to live til 90 or 100? I don't!) but enjoying the quality of life you have now.

Well said. I don't get the fascination of getting 100. I have a few relatives over 80 and they haven't been 'alive' for decades. Golden years? Yeah, right.

If I make it to 60 or 65 then that's fine. Be here now.

yes, talking about India...great food.

Thailand is difficult for veggies. not a lot of choice really, and Thai's don't have a great understanding of it. Unless you do your own cooking that is. Which i can't be bothered with.

Still difficult for me to get to but i love the Turkish restaurants in Pattaya. I would argue that for me Turkish food [in Turkey] is the best anywhere. I still have fantasies about Turkish tomatoes** Thai ones are a bad joke.

** i still have fantasies about lily too, don't worry.

8 hours ago, seven said:

If I make it to 60 or 65 then that's fine. Be here now.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Same. Though 70-ish will do me! :obscene:

You might not still think that when you are 60, 65 or 70ish!

When I was younger I thought I would do well to reach 70. Now I am 70 I sort of hope I will reach 80. But wouldn't mind too much if I don't as long as my passing is quick and painless, preferably in my sleep like my dad at 86.

I wouldn't want to live to 100, probably immobile and unable to take care of myself. I would rather go to Dignitas in Switzerland for euthanasia.