Restaurants in Pattaya

pdogg

Roger's - on a small soi directly west of Pattaya Memorial Hospital, behind the beer bars.

Hi Mr. EyeMahk. The map on Addicts seems a bit strange. It shows the soi to enter almost across from Soi 8. Which is where Soi New Plaza is located. It appears to me on Google Earth one needs to go one soi farther north on the east side of 2nd Road? Almost across from Soi 7 or farther?

I ate at this Italian Restaurant many times on my last trip as it was near my hotel on soi buakoa(R-Con Blue Ocean) and right around the corner from Action St. (Sensation's)  I had the Pizza and also the Linguini Carbonara,both very good.

I'll definitely be returning on my next trip,and reccomend you guys try it on yours.

post-324-0-65841600-1358577728_thumb.jpg

post-324-0-29514100-1358577775_thumb.jpg

Hi Mr. EyeMahk. The map on Addicts seems a bit strange. It shows the soi to enter almost across from Soi 8. Which is where Soi New Plaza is located. It appears to me on Google Earth one needs to go one soi farther north on the east side of 2nd Road? Almost across from Soi 7 or farther?

You are right, it is further north than Soi New Plaza. On the east side of 2nd road (the opposite side of the road from where Soi 7 is), about 100 meters before Pattaya Klang, there is a complex of beer bars.  There is a hotel called @HOME just north of these beer bars, on a small soi. Walk down that soi to behind the beer bars, you'll find Roger's.

My friend Mermaid operates an Italian restaurant in Jomtien.  There's ladyboy bartender working there.

There used to be a very good looking ladyboy waitress at Alby and Micky's.

Like a tiger shark he never switches off even for a minute . :party0021:

You are right, it is further north than Soi New Plaza. On the east side of 2nd road (the opposite side of the road from where Soi 7 is), about 100 meters before Pattaya Klang, there is a complex of beer bars.  There is a hotel called @HOME just north of these beer bars, on a small soi. Walk down that soi to behind the beer bars, you'll find Roger's.

Exactly. It is not far from the Memorial Hospital. 

For anyone who fancies a cheap, tasty chicken curry and boiled rice, Thai Isaan on Soi Buakhao, about 70 metres from Action St. and on the same side heading towards Pattaya Tai does one for 55 B.  They only make one serving a day, so it's usually gone by mid afternoon.

They also have a lot of ready made Thai standards for less than 40 B.  These meals are in a glass  case and on a table at the entrance.

post-106-0-43242900-1358785136_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-99685300-1358785141_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-76874700-1358785157_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-97449400-1358785163_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-19106300-1358785247_thumb.jpg

I have 2 places to add to this thread, one very reasonable and one extremely expensive [for Pattaya] but seriously worth it.

If you are dying for Mexican food.....I myself like to have it once a week if possible....check out Mikes on the road to Jomtien.

http://www.mikespattaya.com/

Good Mexican and Tex-Mex, decent prices.....you can get out of there for under 200B or spend 300 and get a big feast and a margarita. Good place, worth checking out.

The Pattaya Hilton has an amazing buffet every night of the week, and lunches also.....I believe lunch is around 600 and dinner is about 1000 baht. I was treated there twice in the spring and I loved it so much, went back again by myself 2 more times.  YES, it is extremely expensive for Pattaya!   Is it worth it?  Absolutely.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293919-d1876869-r130107765-Hilton_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

For those who like their friend chicken, this place off Pattaya Klang between Second road and Soi Buakhao is on another level to most of the greasy stalls around town.  ...

I recently tagged along on a Saturday afternoon with BB to this place, to see if it lived up to his hype. It does, and I say that as a Yank with a Daddy from the South who was persnickety about his chicken, to say the least. It is fucking tasty -- and after which you can enjoy some tasty fucking, this being Pattaya, but I digress -- and the light, as they say, for something deep fried; not greasy at all compared to typical fried chicken.

Enjoy with our without the sweet chili sauce the Thais like to use on chicken. Recommended beverage: a big bottle of Beer Chang.

Be prepared to fend off would-be moochers if you eat on the Beach Road beach (Bitch! You ain' gettin' none of it. This is my chicken. Mine!).

It's worth the trip up to Pattaya Klang ...

And the friend chicken gets the thumbs up from a satisfied 4.17.

Of course, here in Thailand, a thumbs up can mean that you are angry or otherwise unhappy with someone. Let me clarify beyond doubt, indeed I am not angry at the chicken, but gesturing with said thumb in the Western sense, as in approval. And don't worry; Thais used to dealing with farang usually understand the thumbs up gesture the way would use it. ...

And that is your pedantic, off-topic lesson for the day.

Last evening prior to GOTC III I ate at Pattaya Beer Garden. Larb Mu; pork.

This is a dish usually offered with a choice of chicken, beef or pork. The meat is minced. I always choose pork.

It is fantastically easy to prepare and delicious to eat:

Boil pork mince for 10 minutes.

While that's happening chop fresh chilli, onion, fresh mint leaves.

Have ready some rice powder & fish sauce. (Former is dry-roasted rice pounded into powder.)

Turn out cooked meat into bowl.

Add rice powder, chilli, onion and stir well.

The heat of the meat will cook the others a tad, taking the raw edge off.

Add fish sauce.

Garnish with mint leaves and serve with steamed rice.

All up preparation time is about 15 minutes. Dead easy.

I have cooked this dish at home for the past 20 years and I modestly have to say that mine is far better than PBG's professionals did last night. Theirs: too much chilli for me. I know the Thai like their chilli, as do I, but not so much that it kills the flavours. Also, theirs was far too greasy. You must try to get pork that isn't too fatty.

Anyhow, a recommended meal; I still enjoyed it even though I struggled with the raw chilli heat.

A certain member of our company informed us it is an Isaan dish; I never knew that.

:happy0065:

I love Larb Mu. It really is what Thai food is all about. Unfortunately it's not easily found here in Oz, I usually have to settle for Larb Gai (chicken). And it is often sitting on the menu as Chicken Salad....    unknown & unloved. 

Pork is the best meat for any Thai dish, IMO. Not all Thai restaurants here have it because Australians still are reluctant to order it. Not those with a clue, but those who still think it is unclean. I nearly fell over when I was over ruled once from ordering it by people who had never been to Thailand & who stated flat out they wouldn't eat it. 

And the "rice powder" is the key to the dish. The hard roasted rice is ground till it is small particles that provide wonderful texture in the mouth. Any Larb served without it is simply not the same. I lament that Cucumber on Pattaya Tai went from making the best Larb to one of the worst. When I asked why the rice & other flavours were missing, they told me that farang don't care & they no longer do it Thai-style.

And don't even think of asking for it in Kiss Food. The last time I ate there, the waitress giggled when I asked for Pad Krapow or Larb. "You like Thai food? No hab" was all she could say.

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear that paccers. My mate bubba also ate it last evening; ordering out of each other's hearing we were both pleasantly surprised when the waitgirl turned up with two of the same. So there's a smallish crowd of us who have it among our favourites anyhow, which is nice.

When I began making this dish I had no idea whether you could buy powdered rice - which I see you put in quotation marks - the language name for which I obviously have no idea, in Australia, so I followed my cookbook's advice and made my own. Roasting the rice dry then setting to with a big old fashioned mortar & pestle. Nowadays in VN I simply get it from the market, but it comes in unmarked plastic bags, so I don't even know a VNese name for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Many times, finding great food has come on the recommendation of someone saying "Go XXX for YYY" or being taken somewhere by a Thai. Everyone's tastes are different, but it usually pans out OK. One year ago, this GG I was fucking on a regular basis took me to a restaurant where all the dishes were tasty. Our last meal there was the night before she flew out of Thailand to get married. I'll never forget the night because (1) a Thai I was eating with actually paid for the meal, and (2) it was the best noodle soup I've even eaten in a restaurant. Now "in a restaurant" qualification" is necessary because there are countless noodle stalls, some of which *might* be better. But sitting in an air-conditioned restaurant eating such a masterpiece is notable.

The place is called Kuay Tiew Rua Thasiam 2 (or just Thasiam) - Central Festival Pattaya Beach 2 and it is in Central Festival Pattaya, of all places. It is on the 6th floor, very near the Cinema. It is next to a restaurant called "8". If you do not read Thai, you would walk past this place, as the only sign outside is in Thai. It has a giant gold elephant at the entrance.

You walk in, sit down and order off the menu. Everything is good, but the first page is where the "spicy noodle soup" is. Your reward for 60-some baht is a bowl of heaven. The taste is incredible from start to finish.

#13 SEN LEK is aroy, aroy, aroy!

The staff speaks almost no English, and you'll likely be the only westerner in the place. Never mind, point to the item and, as with all noodle orders in Thailand, say "sen lek" for small noodles or "sen yai" for large noodles.

Almost all dishes here come spiced, so say "phet nit noi" (spicy little bit) if you don't want to blow out your tongue. But I once ordered basil pork here as "phet nit noi" and it was really spicy.

They are open from late morning until about 9:30pm. I have gotten there late evening on a busy day and they have been out of the braised pork that goes in #13. I sobbed uncontrollably.

I'll never forget that married GG, not because she gave me her ass a week before she married an Irishman, but because she introduced me to this place. I miss her a lot, but not as much as I'll miss this noodle soup if this place closes down.

I eat here a lot!

Website: http://www.thasiam.co.th/index.php?m=home (in Thai only) (from this website, it looks like they also have branches in Bangkok - Central, Siam Square and Siam Center.

Anyway, here's some pics.

post-165-0-07392400-1361171534_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-21504000-1361171556_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-89780500-1361171646_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-02557400-1361171661_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-20186600-1361171675_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...