Ringo and Lou Inducted Into Hall Of Fame

Pdoggg

Lou Reed for sure , a legend but Ringo Starr !!!!! 

He wasn't even a decent drummer .

This quote has never been fully vetted, but it makes for a great story!  When someone asked Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John said  "He's not even the best drummer in this band."

• Upvote 2

Well... he apparently was considered the best drummer in Liverpool at the time having been a veteran gigger with Rory Storm & the Hurricanes if my memory serves & at that point with their rep & a record deal in hand they could've gotten anyone I think. And poor old Ringo actually did have a distinctive style that was immediately identifiable, not many drummers can pull that off.

But for me the big news was Paul Butterfield Blues Band finally got in, about f----ing time!

From the album notes (1965): "to fully appreciate the Paul Butterfield sound this album should be played at the highest possible volume".

• Upvote 3

of the worlds most (overrated) famous band

not sure about that

They had a massive influence on many other bands and song writers.. Tom Petty, ELO and so on.. 

The album " Revolver" alone must be one of the best albums ever. .. even if you dont like them the basic Song construction is incredible. 

You can still hear Lute music being played today from 400 years ago ....i wonder how many of todays songs will be played in 400 years time

not sure about that

They had a massive influence on many other bands and song writers.. Tom Petty, ELO and so on.. 

I know, and suggesting this is like   :character00292:

Its just my opinion and i'll stick to it. Of course they had a huge influence on bands and artists to come, maybe because they were first(?).

But oh the immortal line: 'She loves you yeah yeah yeah'. Poetry at its best.

Discussing music with another BM here recently,  we agreed The Doors is also very overrated.

Metallica and The Smiths are two other overrated bands, imo.

One of the articles I read about this later was a bunch of music biz guys sitting around & discussing who should be in as well as who shouldn't have gotten in. ( Hello ABBA!)  Obviously this depends on your particular era & how sacrosanct you consider the HOF honor.

Madonna & Joan Jett got a lot of discussion, as did, surprisingly to me, solo Lou Reed.... because he's in already with the VU & most thought he really only had 2 decent solo albums... is that enough?  Same with Joan Jett, 2-3 singles really, & she didn't write them all, perhaps just the "idea"  of a Joan Jett is enough? Her influence on r&r girls...   But is that bigger overall than Joe Cocker or Leon Russell?

They did bring up something I agreed with: YES & Dire Straits should be in already, it seems to be not a transparent process, a lot seems to have to pass muster with Yann Wenner (rolling Stone) as the vetting mandarin. 

it seems to be not a transparent process, a lot seems to have to pass muster with Yann Wenner (rolling Stone) as the vetting mandarin. 

Yes, its all subjective. A few years ago i read a piece about how old , conservative and out of touch the committee choosing and voting who will be inducted. To me thats very important, who actually vote/decide. If its a 70+ boys club , they can have it.

Lets not forget Sex Pistols reply to the invitation.

post-342-0-60897200-1429559091_thumb.jpg

The DOORS over-rated!??!?!?!?!!? Goodness gracious NO!! I suspect you were much too young to appreciate them seven. 

No no no,, my friend,  in that case I was too young for Dylan and Stones as well, but they are some of my favorites. 

I'm waiting for said BM to weigh in on this, who also happens to be an excellent music connoisseur.

The DOORS over-rated!??!?!?!?!!? Goodness gracious NO!! 

The Doors where way overrated , Light My Fire was their only decent tune ...all that other drugged up shit was depressing .

Same with Nirvana ..... one of the most overrated bands of the 90's they stole The Pixies sound .

And Morrissey  ? Another miserable sort totally irrelevant now , Johnny Marr was the man he made The Smiths .

I was certainly in no way comparing the DOORS to DYLAN or the STONES however to relegate them to the "over-rated" heap is unfair IMO. You may not have liked/appreciated them but many others did. 

On the other hand, during their high point of popularity I was doing some of that "drugged up shit" so perhaps my memory is somewhat foggy and flawed. Where's Kahuna when I need him?  :biggrin:

Well, we are all hostage to our teenage years... we can't escape what we discovered then & our "first love" will remembered through that warm filter. So I can't say that the Doors are overrated compared to Joan Jett, she hardly registers with me, I thought The Doors were really exciting as a teen, I still listen to their first album & LA Woman on occasion. I really dislike Madonna & don't consider her r&r but her influence is undeniable, & KISS... ugh, but they had anthemic tunes.

I suppose YES is late in my era, & I don't like them at all, but they were prominent of a genre of prog for that time, I suppose they are the reason The Ramones exist too. We can't use Dylan or the Stones as the benchmark cause who else would get in? At any rate this is a good bar chat theme....

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the articles I read about this later was a bunch of music biz guys sitting around & discussing who should be in as well as who shouldn't have gotten in. ( Hello ABBA!)  Obviously this depends on your particular era & how sacrosanct you consider the HOF honor.

Madonna & Joan Jett got a lot of discussion, as did, surprisingly to me, solo Lou Reed.... because he's in already with the VU & most thought he really only had 2 decent solo albums... is that enough?  Same with Joan Jett, 2-3 singles really, & she didn't write them all, perhaps just the "idea"  of a Joan Jett is enough? Her influence on r&r girls...   But is that bigger overall than Joe Cocker or Leon Russell?

They did bring up something I agreed with: YES & Dire Straits should be in already, it seems to be not a transparent process, a lot seems to have to pass muster with Yann Wenner (rolling Stone) as the vetting mandarin. 

Well, I love ABBA, and I do not care what anyone else thinks about it or them. Agnetha Faltskog has one of the all time great female singing voices, and that is just plain fact. 

The Doors where way overrated , Light My Fire was their only decent tune ...all that other drugged up shit was depressing .

Same with Nirvana ..... one of the most overrated bands of the 90's they stole The Pixies sound .

And Morrissey  ? Another miserable sort totally irrelevant now , Johnny Marr was the man he made The Smiths .

Light My Fire is down the list of best Doors songs. I liked them a lot. Would never say they were overrated. They deserved whatever notoriety they received. 

I guess the first question is what's considered Rock and Roll?

I thought Run DMC was pure Rap.

But even if it's clear what genres qualify, what's the criteria?

It should just be more than just who has the most inflation adjusted album (if that word is still used) sales.