Band Names

SiamSam

How did Steve Jobs come up with the name for one of the most popular brand names in the world?

I've heard the story but can't place it. It had nothing to do with the record label owned by the Beatles. Or did it?

(Yes, I saw your retraction when you re-read the thread title to which I say.......     fuck the rules, answer please)

I read the Walter Isaacson bio of Jobs, and he said that just before he dropped out of college he worked part-time on an apple farm in Oregon. Was quite the hippie too, rarely took showers or cleaned up, ate only veggies and fruit, did a lot of acid.....anyway, the name was based on his short time working in an apple orchard!

The hamster's name was ......Sid!

His buddy John Ritchie adopted the name and added Vicious once he became the band's bass player.

Sorry paccers, that was my era!  I played 'Never Mind the Bollocks' to death, wore grooves in the fookin' thing.

http://www.sexpistolsofficial.com/bio/sid-vicious/

''John/Simon became “Sid” through John Lydon’s pet hamster – who in turn was named after Pink Floyd’s Syd Barrett – Sid hated the name so John Lydon would taunt him with it. The ironic “Vicious” came after the hamster tried to bite him: “Oh, your Sid is Vicious” and the Lou Reed song ‘Vicious’.''

I guess there is a phrase or poem, "a rolling stone gathers no moss"???

After just forming a new band by amalgamating members of two other bands Brian Jones was being interviewed over the phone. The interviewer asked him what the name of his new band was. Brian, did not have one at the time but then saw a Muddy Water's LP cover lying on the floor. One of the songs listed on the cover was called: "Rollin' Stone". He told the interviewer the band was called: "The Rollin' Stones" The "g" was added later.

1 - What was the first band name that Led Zeppelin used before changing to LZ?

2- Where did Death Cab For Cutie get their name from? B) And that original inspiration was in reality who/what?

Glad I didn't get on here earlier, I was positive the Jethro Tull answer was actually Uriah Heep!

1) Can't remember but Led Zeppelin were a folk band.

not quite. Plant was a bit Folksy in some of his songs and admits as much but they were a  Rock Band mainly and much of it heavy rock with a tinge of Folk embedded on occasion

Led Zep III was a bit  of a folksy album though . Hard band to define 100%.

Page was in the Yardbirds and the original name i cant remember but it may come to me

I should have explained myself better  -  before they were Led Zep, the band were more a folk band. I have read there are some "folk" echoes in some of their Led Zep tracks but I haven't heard it. They say Stairway to Heaven has a touch, they must be listening to a different version.

Maybe the version Rolf Harris sang at Glastonbury with his wobble board.        :sign0200:

LZ had some strong folk influences through Plant & Page but I don't think they were ever a folk band, Bert Jansch was a particularly stong influence on Page's "guitar style" (a polite way of saying he ripped off Jansch's "Black Waterside" not once but in 2 bands he put his name as author to an arrangement of Jansch's tune & distinct celtic style: The Yardbirds "White Summer" & LZ's "Black Mountainside") 

So the first few gigs, (iirc in Scandinavia), they billed themselves as The New Yardbirds.

Paccy you are very close with your Death Cab For Cutie & a movie association.

Pink Floyd

Anyone know how they got the name.. Sid Barrett was sort of responsible in a way.. they were called the Tea Set until some band claimed the same name and Sid derived " Pink Floyd" on the spot from what?..

Ill give answer tomorrow . I thought i knew it but i was in fact very wrong