Does Songkran Help Or Hurt Tourism

pdogg

Does Songkran help or hurt tourism?

I'm especially thinking of Pattaya where you could get doused anytime from around the 12th building up to  a crescendo on the 19th.

Just about every expat I talk to hates Songkran with a passion.

And I doubt most tourists ever come back a for a 2nd Round of Songkran.

But maybe, everyone just knows not to book a trip at that time so the majority have 51 weeks to avoid it and the small minority have their week of water.

With that said, Beach Road on the 19th can be lots of fun and warm water actually feels good on a hot afternoon.

But why to farang cretins often use ice cold water?

Why at night?  (if it was just one or two nights, I could see it)

Why high powered water guns that could damge your eyes?

And why would any jerk throw of bucket of water into a motobike drivers face while he is moving.

8 days in Pattaya is way too long.  Celebrate from 13th to 15th like the rest of the country.

Weird thing is I used to love it.....now it's just an occasion to stock up and stay inside for a few days, very similar to when we get a blizzard or a huge ice storm back home.

Not sure what it does for tourism, probably increases it,  but for people like me who have done it 5 or 6 times enough is enough.

Ive done the Songkran "gig" 3 times and will not be doing it again in a hurry <_<

Two of the times were not so bad because it was only 3 days of "play water" in Bangkok, the other time I got a bit of a shock because having spent the 3 days in Bangkok for the Songkran I headed down to Pattaya unknowing what I was letting myself in for, FFS I got drenched for a further four days :sad0116:

If I did return for a Songkran it certainly wouldnt be in Pattaya for reasons as PDogg has stated..i.e.

"But why to farang cretins often use ice cold water?

Why at night? 

Why high powered water guns that could damge your eyes?

And why would any jerk throw of bucket of water into a motobike drivers face while he is moving."

I would head up to Chang Mai instead  :hi:

Guest sustra

never been there during Songkran but as i always avoided carnival in brasil i guess i would avoid Songkran in Thailand....also because with all the pre and after showers taken during several short time sessions...i do not need an additional one....never been so clean as in Pattaya...

1 shower in the morning in my hotel plus 4 st a day ( so 2 showers..... one before one after ) makes 9 showers a day.....

• Upvote 1

I fookin arrive on the 18th, so will have to endure the last two days of the bloody thing, unless I can somehow manage to stay in my room, which would be diificult as on the first few days of holiday it is always nice to get out and about and reacquaint one self with the surroundings.

Tell me, does the water fighting stop after dark, like in Bangkok, or do the cretins still soak you in the evening??

• Upvote 1

Tell me, does the water fighting stop after dark, like in Bangkok, or do the cretins still soak you in the evening??

I got wet a lot of times at night during the Songkran in Pattaya, and unfortunately it was mostly with water :sad0143:

So the answer to your question Bro ciobha is probaly "Yes" the cretins will get yer if you venture outside, and Im not talking Thais here

I recall a few years back that there was a thread on TLF predicting how many fatalities there would be nationwide during the festivities. One thing for sure is there will be a lot on unnecessary deaths in the coming weeks. Quite sad and sobering.

Yes I remember that TLF thread BB and its quite staggering on how many fatalities there are, I actually saw two motorbikes go flying at speed on my last Songkran visit, scared the shit out of me of what could have happened to the riders as they slid across a busy road

But why do farang cretins often use ice cold water?

It's frightening to realise that many of these morons are acting out their psychopathic urges. To throw a cup of water at someone in the spirit of Songkran is one thing, to use a lawful opportunity to inflict pain & discomfort on a stranger is another thing entirely. Filled with hatred & self loathing these idiots see a green light to throw some water around as an excuse to pay back society for all their perceived wrongs.

OK, some of them are just getting their own back on whoever doused them with ice water but if they were rational they might consider the comfort of others. The one defining mark of psychopaths & idiots is they are incapable of empathy. Some of them are are filled with rage in their desire to inflict pain on others & Songkran gives them a perfect excuse. Others are filled with booze & meekly go along with the whole thing because "it's fun". 

I think the police should make it clear it's a Thai celebration & farangs who abuse the tradition are not welcome.  

And why would any jerk throw of bucket of water into a motobike drivers face while he is moving.

These jerks are uplifted at this chance to behave badly with impunity & the more dangerous their actions are the greater the thrill they experience. Every time they cause a motorbike to lose control they would feel more power than they have ever felt in their lives. I imagine it would be quite addictive for someone with no self esteem. Add alcohol or drugs to the mix & Songkran is probably the happiest time of their lives.

I completely agree with all you just said Paccers.

Strange thing is, I can tolerate it during the day, when it may be considered a bit of "fun in the sun", but ffs, have some decency and let it go after dark.

Dukey is right though, it is probably more likely to be the pissed up farangs soaking people at night, rather than the locals who probably have a bit more decorum.

I despise Songkran with a passion, or at least what the farang bring to the table.

Daytimes never mind, but it's way after sunset that it really pisses me off which is why I rarely venture out and will likely be forced to live on basic provisions (no restaurant visits) for the duration.

If a person is walking around in a soaking wet t-shirt, wet shorts and flip-flops armed with a water weapon then clearly they are fair game and up for the fun. But God help anyone who's wearing dry clothing, whatever time of day or night, as they become a bigger target and a greater prize for the pillocks.

Last year I was in dry clothes travelling on a baht bus with other dry passengers around 11:30pm at night along Buakhao to get something to eat, I was starving. Some Russian cunt outside a bar hurled a bucket of water into the back of the songtaew as we passed, fortunately it only wet my shirt a bit but I felt like pressing the buzzer and going back to slam a baseball bat into the back of that Russian cunt's head. One woman got the worst of it, she was drenched. I knew he was Russian because of his 70's shorts and mum haircut.

This year I reckon I'll be living on cold food from the fridge and maybe something from one of the food-stalls nearby after midnight. The last day I shall not leave the room at all. I hate it. At the end of the day it's just a small price to be paid for living here. If I was booking a holiday from Farangland I guarantee it would not be during the Songkran period.

Some days I don't leave my place at all anyway so it's just a case of squeezing several together for the duration. I shall definitely not be partaking of the so-called fun.

I feel sorry for normal Thai people in Pattaya who are trying to make a living or celebrate in the proper way. I suspect most go home back up-country to get away from Pattaya's special celebrations and the asshole farang.

• Upvote 3

Spot on DC.   :happy0065:

You sum up the way most farangs feel about an entire week of Songkran in Pattaya.

Or are we just too gay to get it?

What I'm trying to figure out is If everyone feels that way then why to the city fathers permit a whole week of madness while in most locales it's just three days?

My guess is that there is a lager lout minority that specifically books this week.

Others want to see what it's like and figure they'll enjoy it.  But when they don't like their hotel is already booked and paid for yet they don't hold it against Pattaya and simply book different dates for their next trip.

Btw, in prior years, Naklua Songkran was on the 18th and Pattaya the 19th.

I guess the town elders figure some will be in Bangkok or elsewhere from the 13-15 and then come to Pattaya for more merriment.

It would be hard to prohibit water play in Pattaya from the 13-15 so if they wanted a three day period they'd have to also conform to the 13-15.

Or maybe I am missing something?

• Upvote 1

I was always under the impression that the "biggie" Songkran Day was the 19th in Pattaya, thats when it really goes "radio rental" :crazy:

I think TC will wait until the 20th :biggrin:

The big day in Pattaya is indeed the 19th. Lots of transportation places like Bell Bus hotel pickup/drop will not run during the day on the 19th. Getting ones self into or out of Pattaya during the day of the 19th can be difficult. Traffic is phucked on the 19th and can be backed up for hours..  

• Upvote 2

The Department of Pollution Control has urged prompt action to improve water quality at four locations in Chiang Mai, including the famous Tha Phae, before the start of the Songkran water splashing festival begins next week, reasoning that water quality in these place is harmful to health.

Call by the DPC  came after officials collected water samples from at least 10 locations around Chiang Mai’s city moat where hundreds of thousands of locals and both local and foreign tourists usually  gather  to celebrate the Songkran festival.

Four locations, including Tha Phae, were found to have water’s oxygen level below safe standards.

Tha Phae forms part of the moat that surrounds the ancient city’s inner area.

Mr Wichien Jungrungruang, director-general of the department, said water test result will be sent to Chiang Mai Municipality with recommendation for the city to promptly install equipment to increase oxygen levels in the moat.

He said authorities successfully used microorganism balls to improve oxygen levels and water quality in the city’s moat last year.

Microorganism is a water treatment to remove bacteria from waste water.

According to acting chief of the First Regional Environment Office in Chiang Mai Mr Rapeesak Malairungsakul, he said  water quality at the four places is substandard and needs improvement before people can safely use during the Songkran festival this month.

The standard of safe water quality is four milligrams/liter of dissolved oxygen (DO) in the water.

But quality of water samples collected from these places on March 27 showed four of them have less than safe standard, he said.

He said substandard water could prove harmful if it enters the mouth, eyes or wounds of festival goers.

He then asserted that the water in Tha Phae has deteriorated and action is urgently needed to increase oxygen in the water before the festival starts.

According to the test of water samples, dissolved oxygen (DO) level in Tha Phae to the east is at 2.60 mg/liter below the standard of 4.0 mg/liter.

The worst area is in front of Chiang Mai-Ram hospital- a western part of the moat where DO level is 2 mg/liter.

The other two locations  are in front of Watanothai Payap School also to the west with 3.97 mg/l and Computer City to the north at 3.85 mg/liter. But for other six places, the levels are between 4.6-7.53 mg/liter which are good quality.

He said the reason for pollution is waste water discharge into the moat.

http://englishnews.t...aying-songkran/

• Upvote 1

He said the reason for pollution is waste water discharge into the moat.

What a surprise! Who would have figured? 

I had Songkran water thrown on me once in Bangkok that within 15 minutes hardened into an orange/yellowish crust. God knows what the hell was in that concoction but I assume my ability to have offspring hence forth is somewhat limited and perhaps should be outlawed. 

• Upvote 1

I'd shudder to think what contaminants are swimming around in most of the water that gets hurled about.

Those big blue oil drum sized plastic bins commonly used as ammunition (water) containers during songkran spend 51 weeks of the year being used as waste-bins. They're due their annual rinse-out soon. Ear and eye infections will be plentiful, as always, not forgetting motorcyclists losing control as they get a face full as they ride by from some dumbass farang with a drainpipe sized water plunger hurling several gallons in a single go.

Can't wait 'till it's all over for another year  :notfair:

• Upvote 3