The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

Thug is a contraction of Thuggee, which refers to a band of robbers in India who would 'befriend' travellers, gain their confidence, then murder and rob them when they had bedded down for the night.  I believe they may also have been employed as assassins.

I think.

Correct

gondola

Well done Xyzzy. 

Funny and true story from back home.  "A councillor called Jimmy Miley was attending a meeting of Wicklow County Council. The meeting was to discuss ways of exploiting the natural beauty of Blessington Lakes. The meeting proposed putting a Gondola on the lake, at which point Councillor Miley stood up and said "That's all very well, but who's going to feed it?". The book "The GUBU File" by Damian Corless from Wolfhound Press explains more on p.16.

The story was popularised when the The Wicklow People had it on its front page at the time. And later, further popularised by the cult TV 'Don't Feed the Gondolas' with Sean Moncrief."

http://anycraic.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2844

• Upvote 1

Congrats Willie.. Socrates it is ..i think he said this at his trial before the hemlock was imbibed

Also on Snicks one.. There is a series on the TV in UK called Byzantium , Constantinople and Instanbul , "a tale of three cities". Worth watching although i cant remember the answer to Snicks question. That place is one big History lesson

I'll give this to Willie, The Fourth Crusade was supposed to travel to Constantinople and then to Jerusalem but instead they sacked the city and established the Latin Empire. From 1205 to 1260 Constantinople was the Capital of the Catholic Latin empire, eventually their was a revolt and the  Byzantine empire re-established.

The Fourth Crusade was financed by Venice and the Doge then stranded the crusaders at Constantinople and talked them into conquering the city, so they could pay him the money they owed.

Tomcat - I saw it, good show.

JaiDee - I read once that Genghis Khan saw the walls of Constantinople and said "fuck it" and went for easier conquests.

I'll give this to Willie, The Fourth Crusade was supposed to travel to Constantinople and then to Jerusalem but instead they sacked the city and established the Latin Empire. From 1205 to 1260 Constantinople was the Capital of the Catholic Latin empire, eventually their was a revolt and the  Byzantine empire re-established.

The Fourth Crusade was financed by Venice and the Doge then stranded the crusaders at Constantinople and talked them into conquering the city, so they could pay him the money they owed.

JaiDee - I read once that Genghis Khan saw the walls of Constantinople and said "fuck it" and went for easier conquests.

Cheers snick...i had a vague recollection that the Venetian doge had taken over constantnople ,but couldn't remember the circumstance....those Venetians were tricky feckers..Christian in name only....

OK-My turn.......there was only ever one pope from GB/UK/ENGLAND ...whatever you want to call it...what name did he take on becoming pope?

There was one female Pope. What was her name?

Pope Joan......she even gave birth.....(immaculate conception?).....that is why there is now a hole in the coronation chair so a cardinal can check if the pope in waiting has actually got a pair of balls....strange but true.....

a great book to read is "the sex lives of the popes".....ancient Rome wasn't as debauched as the Holy See...

• Upvote 1