The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

In the song One Night in Bangkok besides Bangkok 3 other places are mentioned, 2 countries and 1 UK town/city. Can anyone name all 3. This should get you humming all day.

Here is a clue.  The two countries are islands, well actually one is more than one island and the town is on the south coast of England.  Easy.. :search:

The Philippines is correct NR. Now we just need the other island nation and it's not where I am from but many ladyboys think it's the same same, hint hint... and of course the town on the south coast of England where a famous battle took place also.

Hefe I am sure you must have heard it at some stage while in Los.

Don't know the song....

OMG Hefe, your education is sorely lacking. As soon as the questions are answered, someone should post the clip. 

I can remember when EVERY bar & club in Thailand played the song every hour at full volume. I can also remember dancing so hard to it that sweat was spinning off my head. That was in the disco in the Hotel Nana, then a very smart establishment, with the most beautiful Thai dancing partner. 

We retired to my room for some horizontal folk dancing after...          :hot:

The Philippines is correct NR. Now we just need the other island nation and it's not where I am from but many ladyboys think it's the same same, hint hint... and of course the town on the south coast of England where a famous battle took place also.

Now you've given such a major clue there is no challenge left so just to get this thing wrapped up, the other island nation is Iceland.

You gave me that one BB but as for battle towns, I dunno, is it Hastings? 

And how come I don't remember these names after hearing the song so often?

Play at this level there's no ordinary venue

It's Iceland --  or Hastings -- or --

or this place!

[COMPANY]

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster

Here's a question, what's the commonality of Iceland and Hastings as it relates to this song?

(the Philippines does not fit this theme)

Sucrose is white sugar... dextrose comes to mind though I don't know what it is exactly.

Dextrose and Glucose are the same Hefe.. but at least you named two with Sucrose.. one off the target but the best shot and so we give you this one

The missing one was Lactose..No one got all three at the same time though

OMG Hefe, your education is sorely lacking. As soon as the questions are answered, someone should post the clip. 

I can remember when EVERY bar & club in Thailand played the song every hour at full volume. I can also remember dancing so hard to it that sweat was spinning off my head. That was in the disco in the Hotel Nana, then a very smart establishment, with the most beautiful Thai dancing partner. 

We retired to my room for some horizontal folk dancing after...          :hot:

But who wrote and produced it? They are mentioned earlier in this thread or was it the band names thread.

Watched the clip pacman... well 1/2 of it anyway, not my style of tune then or now. I remember listening to the likes of Los Lobos, Tears for Fears, The Pogues & bought my only Springsteen album (The River) in 1985 but not much pop music. It would be another 10 years before I went to Angels Disco in the Nana Hotel where I thought I died & went to heaven. 

Saw the answer to 7's question when I saw the clip so I'll sit this one out.

But it was fun to try & remember what I listened to in a specific year 30 years ago.

Angels Disco, yes, that the place. And as a 21 year old back packer who never went there sober, I thought it was one of the best bars in the world. And I can imagine hearing the clip for the first time, you may be wondering what the fuss is about but every year or so I will chance upon it on some oldie radio station & I am instantly transported back there.

I won't blame you for switching off half way but imagine it really loud in Angels with the dance floor full of local girls dancing. And it is dark & hot & there is sex hanging in the air, that's the memory it brings up whenever I hear it. 

But who wrote and produced it? They are mentioned earlier in this thread or was it the band names thread.

They? I don't know of any "they" but Murray Head sang it, I think he wrote it too.

I did look at his background once, he never had another big hit like One Night In Bangkok. But in its day, it was HUGE!!

They? I don't know of any "they" but Murray Head sang it, I think he wrote it too.

I did look at his background once, he never had another big hit like One Night In Bangkok. But in its day, it was HUGE!!

No, he didn't , and thats probably why he never had another hit this big, as its  written by real pros. Swedes.

You guys are spot on with the chess references.

Actually, I think the song was written specifically for the Broadway show Chess.

The 1972 World Championship match between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky was played in Iceland.

This is the only time chess got big coverage in the States.   It was during the Cold War, not long after the moon landing, and the Soviets up to that point had dominated international chess.  And Bobby was not just a top notch player but rather he destroyed his competition in a way never seen before.  In the Candidate Matches which determine who the next challenger will be he beat he beat Taimanov 6-0 and Larsen 6-0.  This is unheard of s there are lots of draws in chess.  Then he beat former champ Petrosian to become the official challenger to Spassky.  And he went on to defeat Spassky.

One of the strongest tournaments of all time was held in Hastings in 1895 and there is an annual tournament there.

Can't thing of any major chess events in the Philippines so perhaps it fit the number of syllables required.

OK, here's an easy one.  What famous burglary took place not long before the Fischer-Spassky world championship match?

You guys are spot on with the chess references.

Actually, I think the song was written specifically for the Broadway show Chess.

The 1972 World Championship match between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky was played in Iceland.

This is the only time chess got big coverage in the States.   It was during the Cold War, not long after the moon landing, and the Soviets up to that point had dominated international chess.  And Bobby was not just a top notch player but rather he destroyed his competition in a way never seen before.  In the Candidate Matches which determine who the next challenger will be he beat he beat Taimanov 6-0 and Larsen 6-0.  This is unheard of s there are lots of draws in chess.  Then he beat former champ Petrosian to become the official challenger to Spassky.  And he went on to defeat Spassky.

One of the strongest tournaments of all time was held in Hastings in 1895 and there is an annual tournament there.

Can't thing of any major chess events in the Philippines so perhaps it fit the number of syllables required.

OK, here's an easy one.  What famous burglary took place not long before the Fischer-Spassky world championship match?

The Great Train Robbery?