Best TV shows - comedy

JaiDee

We are always talking about drama shows and movies up here, but rarely comedies.

For myself, probably because my sense of humor may be severely lacking, I have hardly seen any comedy MOVIES which make me laugh,  but there are a few comedy series on the tube I have gotten into over the years, none more than the Seinfeld series,  IMO the best one ever.

But there are some newer ones from the past decade I can recommend, if you guys know of some as well PLEASE send 'em up so we can get going on the downloads!

Big Bang Theory - kind of corny but pretty good, worth watching.

Community - just started with this one over the summer and like it a LOT

Louis - Louis C.K. could be one of the best comics on the scene today; this is his show.

30 Rock - wacky, fun, nonsensical humor for 23 weird minutes. Just ended for good.

Modern Family - Also just started with this one, good characters

How I met your mother -  Ehhhh,  but not completely  horrible

Parks and Recreation - Also just started this one,seems pretty good

Two and a half men - way past its prime now, but the early seasons were excellent

Comedians in cars getting coffee - Seinfeld's new show, VERY worth checking out

4 GREAT ones  which aren't on anymore but worth checking out.......

Weeds - Over now, but ran for 6 seasons in the 2000's and is worth watching

Chappelle's Show - Only ran for 3 seasons a decade ago, but well worth watching

Curb your enthusiasm - Larry David just being himself.

Always sunny in Philly -   Worth watching, Devito's best since 'Taxi'

Arrested Development - absurd, simply absurd.  And hugely enjoyable.

Chapelle's Show ("Wayne BRADY?")

Everyone seems to love Arrested Development, I watched the first season and couldn't get into it, not sure why.......just didn't seem that great to me.

Chappelle, every show was a classic,  especially the "Real World" episode and the one with Charlie Murphy meeting Rick James; 'I'm Rick James, bitch!"  One of the best 15 minutes of comedy. Ever. That show went off-air way too soon, he was just tired of doing it. 

Agree with almost all of the above (love Black Adder, hate Mr. Bean)

I'd add

The Crazy Ones - kind of silly but Robin Williams is funny, the rest of the cast is good too.

South Park - some years are better than others, but its on an upswing now.

The Bitch in Apartment 2c - cancelled too soon

Fox News - oh...thats not a comedy show...never mind !

Fawlty Towers my all time favourite.

The original (4?) series of Monty Python.

The Frost Report.

The Telegoons. (Old Goons radio scripts with puppets playing roles).

The Bugs Bunny Show.

Laurel & Hardy (half hour series of clips & sketches in ancient B&W).

The Honeymooners (Jackie Gleason, Art Carney, et al.)

Hancock's Half Hour (with Tony Hancock, Sid James).

Get Smart.

The Auntie Jack Show (especially for Aussies; made in Aus).

The Norman Gunston Show (ditto).

My favs would be a selection from the above posts   The Aunty Jack Show;  Fawlty Towers;  Ripping Yarns (especially The Curse of the Claw); South Park, and Seinfeld.

There was also an English show I remember: It Takes a Worried Man - which I always enjoyed... and I've suddenly thought of The Thin Blue Line;   there are probably many more that I'd willingly watch again.

My all time favorites:

Big Bang Theory

Seinfeld

Cheers

All in the Family. 

Those 4 are the gold standard when it comes to comedy. 

Recently I've been a fan of Rules of Engagement. Thought CBS was stupid for canceling it while leaving on unfunny garbage like Two Broke Girls, and Mike & Molly. 

I liked Dharma and Greg when it was on, and still watch the reruns.

I was told by some American friends in Philippines how great How I Met Your Mother is so started watching it, Seldom has it brought about any uncontrolled laughter, so don't watch much now. I rate it a big disappointment.  

I thought Weeds was great, but do not consider it a true comedy. More of a drama with some comedic moments. 

Fawlty Towers

Monty Python

Parks and Recreation (stay with it JaiDee - 1st season lackluster, 2nd very good, 3rd brilliant!)

30 Rock (it ran out of steam or Jumped The Shark it's final 2 seasons)

South Park

The Simpsons (1st 10 seasons were wonderfull, with diminishing returns thereafter)

The Office (BBC version Gervais/Merchant)

Extras (Gervais/Merchant again)

The Ricky Gervais Show - HBO is airing an animated show featuring edited highlights from the classic Gervais/Merchant/Karl Pilkington radio show/podcast

Frasier - set in my ol' stomping grounds and featuring great scripts

Finally, I'll throw in Family Guy. Not my usual cup of tea, as some of it is downright stupid, but my girlfriend loves it and I've come to appreciate how amazingly crude and downright disgusting it can be at times.

"It's Gary Shandling's Show"

--and 2 thumbs up to route67's pick of Shandling's later send-up of the entire industry:

"The Larry Sanders Show".

and 2 still on tv:

"The Daily Show w/Jon Stewart" (the first half of each episode is pure comedy gold, but you can click off before the interviews)
"Modern Family".  derivative, but brilliant.

I'd second john Stewart, And I too switch off before the interviews.

I loved the first season of American family, and the second season was good but after that it went downhill. The gay characters went from the nuanced characterizations they had the first season to being your usual shrill stereotypes by the third season.