Check in Bar, Sukhumvit Soi 5 junction

mardhi

Cpl Ballsack (what a strange name BTW), just remember that this is not a proper bar. It is a cart with some garden furniture, surrounded by other carts with some garden furniture, so it may be hard to tell the difference between the bars as most of them are populated by ladyboys.

As Stoolpusher said, also give Darkside a go, it seems to be the hotspot of BKK right now. And Guess (not Guest) bar is still there, although Joy is long gone, as are most of the girls you would remember. Still a good spot to visit no matter what you may read elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Cpl Ballsack (what a strange name BTW), just remember that this is not a proper bar. It is a cart with some garden furniture, surrounded by other carts with some garden furniture, so it may be hard to tell the difference between the bars as most of them are populated by ladyboys.

As Stoolpusher said, also give Darkside a go, it seems to be the hotspot od BKK right now. And Guess (not Guest) bar is still there, although Joy is long gone, as are most of the girls you would remember. Still a good spot to visit no matter what you may read elsewhere.

I never got to Guess in its apparent glory days, I was there earlier this year and had a good time , what changed and how long ago ?

Long story globetrotter, one best not divulged. Bottom line is people should take any bar, restaurant or other establishment as they find it, and not as others portray.

I reckon Guess was as good a bar as anywhere in the world (LB bar speaking) up until around 2010, but started to go downhill after then, as it tried to become something above and beyond a ladyboy pick up joint. Other people may feel differently. Ultimately, anybody I have spoken to recently still reckons Guess is a decent spot for a few beverages and anything else that may take your fancy at the time.

All places have their quiet and busy times, Guess is no different such is life.

Apparently, the Garden Centre seems to bursting at the seams every night with customers if the various forums are anything to go by. And the Bangkok Times has indicated that taxis are now avoiding Sukhumvit because the customer overflow from this bar is now out onto the main road. Of course this may be an exaggeration from customers who seem to think this bar/cart will make the cover of the next Megabusiness magazine.

• Upvote 3

I found last week all the LB bars had 1 or 2 punters in them in bangkok might have been the time of year

as the girls i spoke to all said no customers and the bars that had punters seemed to me to be regulers

and knew how to act in the bars ...ie.. pool, drink , fondle the girlies and take your pic but thats me.

I never got to Guess in its apparent glory days, I was there earlier this year and had a good time , what changed and how long ago ?

girls and management change as it happens often with bars.

Every two three year ownership and managements changes. It is often refreshening.

All places have their quiet and busy times, Guess is no different such is life.

Apparently, the Garden Centre seems to bursting at the seams every night with customers if the various forums are anything to go by. And the Bangkok Times has indicated that taxis are now avoiding Sukhumvit because the customer overflow from this bar is now out onto the main road. Of course this may be an exaggeration from customers who seem to think this bar/cart will make the cover of the next Megabusiness magazine.

scheduled to be on Forbes, in April '14.

"All places have their quiet and busy times, Guess is no different such is life"

I completely agree but It really stood out as it was in the middle of high season and after a night in the busy bars of NEP which as you know is only right across the street

NEP bars are benefiting of their position and the fact NEP is known everywhere by everyone. Including travel guides. I was in cascade 3weeks ago and it didn't burst with customers, we were maybe 10, in reality. But if you want I can easily post there was no seat available, half of the girls were barfined, price of drinks was dropped by 20%, and that they are planning to open the Cascade Alco-cart in sukhumvit. You got to believe it then, as it is written on the Internet. LOL.

Friend of mine passed at the Garden Center (gotta love this!) a few nights ago and was with no customers. Of course the reason was the rain, wasn't it?

Also DS33 is never a full house, or seldom it is. But the reason I go there is the nice time I can have with the girls and their attitude.

As much as nice it can be to see other customers in a bar, that is not why I go to a bar in BKK. So a full house doesn't make any difference to me. On the contrary, I can have more attention from girls and have a wider choice to select.

Lounge bars are good for this.

In a gogo it is better to have a few more customers to decrease the pressure from a few tens of girls eyeing you like you are the prey. So I am happy if in there a few new guys step in and girls start to look elsewhere.

Yes M1954 my fav bar has to be DS 33 because the girls there dont hassel you and you can sit and chat bye them a drink if you want and take it from there I must say I have not been there and just drank allways seem to bar fine some cutie in a fishnet teddy. Its my weekness. But I think the boss man runs a tight ship witch is cool.

Hello all, I am new to this forum but not very new to Bangkok or to ladyboys.

I am back in Bangkok in a few days and hope to visit this bar because it sounds very good and has many hot ladies working. I am staying in the dynasty inn same as last time I stayed in the city. I think it is a good hotel but also very basic. I have to ask, because I do not know the city very well, how do I find this bar? the last time I stayed in Bangkok was a few years ago I never left the street of my hotel apart from by taxi. do I need to get a taxi to this bar. the only bars I know are in nana plaza, I went to cascades and casanova, and also the guest bar was in the same street. I remember the guest bar very well because I took a ladyboy from this place and she was my first ever. I stayed with her for 3 days, I remember her name was Joy, and her name was very suitable because she was a joy to be around. I wonder if she still stays in the guest bar, I hope so.

Anyway, any help you can give me will be appreciated very much, and I hope to meet some guys over the next few days.

There have been 2 Joy's working at Guess Bar.   One is now a post op and last I heard was working at Vodoo - that was about 1 year ago when I saw her at Guess as she came in with a guy.   She did not say she was working at Vodoo but one of the other girls in the bar did.   You might want to check if your that concerned. However don't forget she now have pussy, not cock. 

The 2nd Joy was a livewire on the service team.   She left Guess a year ago, maybe more.   She was at Check In bar just 2 nights ago - pic attached.  As to wether its a long term thing, who knows.  

The first Joy is pictured here in the old bar in Soi 1 - she is 2nd from the right.

post-495-0-76822700-1382250331_thumb.jpg

The second Joy is pictured here, two night ago at Check In.  

post-495-0-21249300-1382250428_thumb.jpg

post-495-0-24329200-1382250436_thumb.jpg

Check In has done well for a couple of reasons.   First up, it is and has always been just an alco cart on the street. They have been around for years. There is nothing especially different about the hardware.   Its a cart with plastic chairs selling beer.   What is different is the timing, the girls they have managed to pick up and perhaps most importantly the LB who owns it and is there every night being very hands on running the place and talking with customers.    Guys are attracted by the girls, but IMO its June that gets them to come back and become regular visitors.

With the fall out from Guess and a number of top tier girls leaving, most migrated to this bar eventually.  Some tried other venues, others freelanced and most have ended up here.    For a street cart to have this level of lookers is unheard of.   Even more odd is that they are there every day and working full shifts.    On any given night there are at least 8 girls there and it often balloons up to 15/18 girls.   Remember this is an alco cart in the street - it is not a closed in bar or even a beer bar.           

Due to the lookers they have a large trade of 'walk past' customers - probably 90% of their business is picked up in this way.  They get many guys from forums stopping in but its a tiny share compared to walk past trade.    I was there two nights ago for a couple of hours and it was pissing down.    The bar has a big awning and umbrella's so we were fine.   The trade was constant but not especially busy. I think I noticed twice a full house.   Other times it was normally just us plus one or two other tables occupied.      What is very different on this operation is that the trade is constant and ever changing.   The potential customer is whoever is walking past at that point.     I know full well what other bars trade and I can assure anyone that this little operation is more than holding its own.    The girls stay because they are getting barfined and in big numbers.   I was blown away, when June told me how many barfines they get a night.    She has more barfines than Guess got in the same month last year (when it was at its peak revenue period of 7 years, and don't forget I know down to the last baht was GB traded last year).    Barfines are what attract and keep girls - its very simple.

However one of the biggest reasons for the bar success is June the girl who owns it.   This bar is entirely her own.  I am quite happy to promote it as it offers the opportunity to draw custom down from Guess.  The history on that is well known but in a nutshell the current owner renaged on the agreements with the guys who funded the purchase of Guess from Jay (yes it was paid for and quite a decent sum of money) + paid to setup Anaconda Bar in Pattaya (which has now closed).  The 'shareholders' have not been compensated one baht and thus are not supporting in any shape or form Guess.    The loss of revenue on that score is considerable but not life threatening for the bar.     But anyway back to June.  

This girl is a breath of fresh air.    A now Post op with an adopted daughter and married to a Thai, she is about as far removed from the typical LB as you could imagine.   Fluent in English and more than capable of holding a conversation in Japanese (she worked at Obsession), she is lovely.     She does not drink or smoke.    She is there each and every night setting up the cart to trade.  This is a 30 minute job to transform a bit of pavement into a bar.    She has to do the complete reverse at 6am in the morning.  Talk about mind numbing.   Such a polava for earning a living - yet she does it every day and always has a smile on her face.      This girl not only remembers customers names but invariably what they drink and they style they like it (tall glass, big ice etc etc).    Currently its just her and a little boy acting as bartender.   That is it plus the girls.   As i say, IMHO, its June that gets customers to go back and become regulars in the bar - nothing is too much trouble for her.     That is why the bar has a strong group of supporters over and above what is normal.    This is her first bar - she used to work at Cosy bar further up Sukhumvit to Soi 3 - she has put everything she has into this and I for one am very impressed at her commitment and focus.  I have seen close hand Thai LB's operating bars and this girl is the best I have seen.    

In a nutshell, this bar should just be another Alco cart - however it has changed the mould and that is down to two factors: June herself and the team of girls who work there.   But it remains to all intent & purpose - nothing more than a cart and a load of plastic chairs.    Make of it what you will.      

• Upvote 1

Guess Bars original concept was as a lounge bar with comfy sofas and a group of good ladyboys on staff, decent drinks and a relaxed atmosphere.   It had the perfect location for that in Soi 1.    With that model and with that level of rent, it was a good bar that made money for its owner.      Due to that location being turned into a hotel, the bar had to move.   There were hardly any options around.   The only real option at that point was to move to Soi 4 into another bar with different layout.    This location was much more expensive in rent plus it did not have the benefit of an onsite ST hotel, which the original bar had.  

For a number of reasons, the bar lost volume and was sold.   It simply could not meet its costs from the income it was achieving.

With the change in ownership - the models had to change to keep it going.     Volume had to increase, as price increases would not work in such a tight economic climate since 2008 financial collapse.     So the bar moved from being a lounge bar to moving more up tempo.   Dance platforms came in and party nights were a regular feature.   # of girls increased and the focus was on top tier eye candy.   Some girls who had a poor attendance record were let go.     The bar volume doubled.    It got to the point that often you had 30 guys in the bar on some party nights - the sofa's had to go and be replaced by bar stools & tables.   The customer numbers increased and so did their average spend.   They were staying longer, spending more because they were enjoying the new style bar.    Dedicated service staff were hired to improve things further in terms of drink service.     PR staff now looked after typically 25 hostess staff.    The bar was averaging 30 staff working there.  

That was the state of the bar when I left.  It was highly profitable and busy as customers were for the most part enjoying themselves.   Some customers prefered the lounge ambience - however the economics were just not there to do that style of bar in such expensive real estate as Soi 4 has become.  

With the coup came an anticipation that now this level of earning would all go to a Thai family.    However they expected the income without doing any hard work.   As they have found, things don't often work like that and especially in a small market segment such as this, in a bar with hardly any passing trade.   With the departure of many of the top tier girls, the volume has dropped considerably.  Party nights were dropped and salary payments slashed to the remaining staff.    The atmosphere changed and a negative mindset seemed to come in.    The source of new staff also dried up as the Thai owners were forced to close Anaconda in Pattaya as volume there went from good to nothing almost over night.     without the feed from Pattaya, the bar has struggled to get new staff that look good.    

Fast forward to its current day and you have a bar much more like its original state - the sales are down considerably and I am not sure how financially viable it can be now, especially if there rent increases to what it should be in that location.   It would appear that the focus is on chasing barfines now rather than trying to keep customers entertained and drinking in the bar.   Its running on typically 12 staff a night. The layout is now similar to before.      Time will tell, how much of a success it will be.   Many guys who liked the bar in its original soi 4 layout will likely prefer the change back.    My impression is however that many of these guys now enjoy another lounge bar more for various reasons not least of all the cost of drinks.   

Nobody really knows what the outcome will be.   However with increased competition from all quarters - they need to really lift the game to survive in that very expensive location.   

There have been 2 Joy's working at Guess Bar.   One is now a post op and last I heard was working at Vodoo - that was about 1 year ago when I saw her at Guess as she came in with a guy.   She did not say she was working at Vodoo but one of the other girls in the bar did.   You might want to check if your that concerned. However don't forget she now have pussy, not cock. 

Seen the first Joy in Voodoo in March of this year and can confirm she is a post op

• 1 month later...