He who pays the piper.........

bumblebee

Pdogg, Sexy69 and myself where on a scout around Jomtien tonight when we came across a party in a bar with a Filipino band playing.  The sound was at an acceptable level, we were familiar with the songs (the lyrics were pronounced perfectly) which added to the feel good factor and the drinks were a great price, 50 to 60 B which flowed freely as we enjoyed each familiar song.

Compare this with the usual party for a Thai staff member where there is usually a Thai/Issan song fest, plus Karaoke, which at times can be quite ear shattering at best and all you want to to is get the hell away from the noise.  I know it may be a girl's birthday, but at the end of the day who is paying to be there?

I am playing devil's advocate on this one, but the question is.  If the customers are the ones paying, perhaps the music should be to to their tastes as they are the ones handing over hard earned cash to be there, regardless of the occasion.

Discuss.... :biggrin:

I

Love it or leave it.

From a cultural perspective, the Thais are logical; it's just that their logic differs from ours, as do the Vietnamese, the Japanese ... hell, even American logic differs from Canadian logic, from British and so on ad infinitum. Of course the same thing happens when it comes to matters of aesthetics and taste.

They don't understand why we have big toilet thrones; we don't understand why they have squat toilets. We don't understand why they don't separate the shower area from the rest of the bathroom; they don't understand why we do. They think a lot of our food sucks, many of us think most of their food sucks (some of us are enlightened, of course).

Personally, I don't care for bar bands/cover bands, no matter how good they are. Been there/done that (of course I realize I'm in the minority here). In fact, if they are good, it just seems that much more of a shame that they aren't playing original music, if they're that talented. But then I don't care for the karaoke screech fests, either.

I think it all comes down to a matter of economics: what the market will bear. We may be paying customers and we may all complain about the Isaan ear splitting music, yet we keep going back and barfining girls and buying drinks. The recent b-day party in Sensations was a case in point. Place was packed with dudes spending money all night. *shrugs*

I remember my birthday party in La Bamba November 2011. Jimslim and I went to the CD stand beside Kiss restaurant and picked out a few CDs of 70's and 80's music that we felt the guys attending the party would enjoy! We handed them to Nok on the night of the party and asked her to play them that evening. I think she played 3 tracks of one of the discs, then it reverted back to the usual Beyonce, Rianna etc. as per the norm. To be honest after a while I dont think anybody really noticed. Most of the guys were to busy chinwagging, chewing the fat ettc., to pay attention to the tunes.

It just seems to be that the mamasan/girls in the bar have their own ideas on what music they want to play, and to be fair, if you are there with a load of good guys, as long as the music is played at a reasonable volume, it doesn't make much of a difference. Let's face it, do we really go to the LB bars to listen to good music? Maybe the cunning little rascals know this and play a lot of old shite in the hope we will grab rumble partner and disappear to the short time room for a while, to get away from the music. :mad0261:

Compare this with the usual party for a Thai staff member where there is usually a Thai/Issan song fest, plus Karaoke, which at times can be quite ear shattering at best and all you want to to is get the hell away from the noise.  I know it may be a girl's birthday, but at the end of the day who is paying to be there?

Its their birthday and that's what they seem to like so I'm fine with it .

I wouldn't insist on playing music to suit the customers on someone's birthday  , different on an ordinary night .

as long as the music is played at a reasonable volume, 

While everyone prefers their own favorite music, I'm OK if the volume is reasonable.

In almost all cases when there's a party going on in Soi 6, the music is so loud it's painful to be outside that bar.

Last night in Jomtien the music was low enough so we could talk.  What also made the music sound good was that the performers were only singing and the instrumental track was from the original band.

I have been very much of this viewpoint for as long as I can remember. Bars should entertain the customers who are doing the paying, not the staff. 

There is much Thai music I actually like and I have numerous on CD and in mp3 format. But I rarely, if ever, hear that type played in the bars. That Issan music is truly awful for my ears which is why I avoid morlam's, Thai parties, karaoke bars and anywhere else it is likely to be played, especially at high volume.

Having said all that I can endure almost any music style so long as the volume is reasonable. In recent times what drove me away from Sensations on the night of Suzie's party after one hurried drink was the bloody awful (for my farang ears) Isaan music singer/s delivering it at ear splitting volume. I was unable to talk comfortably or be heard or to hear any of my friends conversations which caused the chat to dry up , we became just bored spectators.

The tranquility of the next venue with my good friend KenW was sheer pleasure in comparison. We chatted and enjoyed our surroundings in total comfort. Although there was music playing I can't remember what it was because we were not there for the music, it did not interfere in any way with our enjoyment.

Unless you specifically visit a venue for the music, then the music should not take over.

The venues that understand it - generally are busy.     The venues that do not, are generally empty.     Its something I never managed to convince Thai's about though.     

However there is little thought given to these mobile Issan karaoke outfits who go from bar to bar for parties.  Their whole modus Operandi seems to be LOUD and distorted.     But bars pay 5000b each and every time to have them come.    Personally I can't stand them but they do seem to generate foot traffic for a bar.   

Unless you have a farang owner at the bar that plays "our kind of music" (whatever that means) the music will be what the girls like for dancing. At places like Champion A GoGo (GG bar Walking Street) where they play classis rock and some newer harder stuff the girls generally like the music once they get use to it. I must confess when I go to Tim's A GoGo (2nd Road) I often find myself watching the classic rock videos on the big screens instead of watching the girls. :huh:  Also the girls get stuck dancing to some horrible stuff to dance to. Old Pink Floyd (one of my favorite bands), etc that was never intended to move anything but the mind. 

Old Pink Floyd (one of my favorite bands), etc that was never intended to move anything but the mind. 

so THAT must be what the girls at cascades were "dancing" to last time i popped in there. :party0049:

trancelike on the verge of vegetative. unfortunately it must have been playing on their little earphones because my own body was shuddering to some bass cacaphony that disallowed my finishing a single drink.

:character00218:

Walking down walking street, or Action Street or soi LK & passing all the gogos & beer bars with the techno music playing "at 11" I can't walk fast enough away from them. And considering the average age of the mongers here, away from Walking St anyway, I can't imagine that there are enough customers who want to stay around drinking in these places. I lingered a bit outside the bars that had the old duffers singing "Please Release Me" to the karaoke tracks & realized I may not be long in joining them.

Some of the outside bars have the techno at a reasonable volume, but not many.

I will actually go to a bar for it's good music and get in the mood so to speak plus a few Lb's in the mix helps too.

But no amount of eye candy would have me endure music so loud I cant even speak to mates or my chosen 'friend'

:crazy:

so THAT must be what the girls at cascades were "dancing" to last time i popped in there. :party0049:

trancelike on the verge of vegetative. unfortunately it must have been playing on their little earphones because my own body was shuddering to some bass cacaphony that disallowed my finishing a single drink.

:character00218:

The Cascade girls have actually created their own dance. They lean back on whatever is convienent so they don't have to move too much, look at you and point at themselves. I'm sure someone can come up with a clever name for this ritual. 

The Cascade girls have actually created their own dance. They lean back on whatever is convienent so they don't have to move too much, look at you and point at themselves. I'm sure someone can come up with a clever name for this ritual. 

How about the Shattered Ritual?  

Perhaps they're practicing their dance routines in case farang friendly music is implemented?

Shattered, shattered 
Love and hope and sex and dreams 
And still surviving on Soi 4
Look at me, I'm in tatters! 
I'm a shattered 
Shattered 

Laughter, joy, and loneliness and sex and sex and sex and sex 
Look at me, I'm in tatters 
I'm a shattered 
Shattered 

Look at me
I'm shattered
I'm shattered 
Ahhh, look at me, I'm a shattered 
I'm a shattered 
Look at me, I'm a shattered, yeah 

Pride and joy and greed and sex 
That's what makes Bangkok the best 
Pride and joy and dirty dreams and still surviving on Soi 4
And look at me, I'm in tatters, yeah 

Uh-huh, this town's full of money grabbers 
Go ahead, bite the Big Mango, don't mind the faggots, uh huh 

Shattered, shattered 

Love and hope and sex and dreams 
And still surviving on Soi 4
Look at me, I'm in tatters! 
I'm a shattered 
Shattered 

Where does that come from?          :blink:

I googled it & nothing came up. Are you writing "poetry" in your day off PDogg? 

I think it needs work...          :flirt2:

Of course...         :mad0261:     

I know their song but I am not so familiar with the lyrics that I recognised it beneath PDogg's alterations.

It was showing when I googled it but I knew they hadn't written anything about Soi 4 or the Big Mango.

Thanks Sam. (Enjoy the snow. It's 38C here with bright blue sky)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to two parties in Famous last August. The first was Donkeys birthday, music was by Karl and it was the best party I ever attended in Pattaya. Everyone was singing along, the girls were rocking and the atmosphere was electric.

A week later I wnt back for Lita's Birthday party. Music was the girls doing Thai Karakoke. Everyone left after half an hour, what a dull party.

As the Americans say, go figure