IPhone 5 released tomorrow

JaiDee

I find it quite amusing to see many of the guys on various forums complaining about costs of things going up, how economy are all stretched, no money, braggin about only paying 1000b LT etc etc - proudly walking about with their new I-Phones.

Its a funny old consumer world we live in these days. And no I won't be getting one.

Yup. I held off on buying the 4S and have been eagerly awaiting the 5's release.

Stock price as of this minute is $665 per share. Using past iPhone launches to predict the potential sales, I've read that each new generation of iPhone has sold as many as ALL the previous releases combined, ie: iPhone 3 sold as many as the iPhone 1 + 2, iPhone 4S sold as many as the iPhone 1, 2, 3, and 4 combined, etc. If that happens with the 5 it's expected the stock will hit $800-900 before the end of the year (some are even suggesting a $1000 per share price).

Whoo hooo!

And no I won't be getting one.

I'm with you......when in Thailand, I have a Nokia which is - no joke - SIX years old!

Beat up for sure, the glass is all scratchy and even the Nokia logo is so faded you can barely read it, but it works and it's super-thin and lightweight and I love it; why upgrade?

Here in the states I have a pay-as-you-go Samsung phone, cost $19.99 and costs me 30 bucks a month to top it off. Because I was fortunate enough to get a whole bunch of Apple stock back in late 2010, I was considering spending some of that new-found coin on their latest iteration of the always-popular Iphone series. Chatting with my tech-savvy daughter this weekend made me realize, I simply don't need one! I was also reminded how I would have to get into a 2-year "plan" with some lame carrier, and be attached at the hip to them for 100 bucks a month, plus 500 for the phone, for something I would barely use.

Sorry Apple, you will have to depend on the hipsters and fanboys to make your sales for you [and they will!], this old guy is sticking with his cheap-ass Samsung.

• Upvote 1

Stock price as of this minute is $665 per share.

the stock will hit $800-900 before the end of the year (some are even suggesting a $1000 per share price).

Good for you, DT......I am in the same boat :)

To be honest, the only reason I am able to spend the next year or 2 back in the states is *because* of how well AAPL is doing in the market; I have been long and strong since November of 2010 and if they get to $930 I will have tripled my investment.

So I feel like it's kinda time to give back a little and buy one of their products now, for the first time since like 2007 when I got an Ipod, and the Iphone 5 seemed quite likely. But like my daughter told me "If you want to buy something from Apple, get one of their MacBooks; you don't need their phone". Ahhhh, the wisdom of youth.

For now, I'm happy with my cheap charlie Nokia which doubles as a wrist watch/alarm clock.

There are times when I'm out and about that I'd rather be at home on the internet. Guess it a signal that it's time to go home.

Exactly! And I'd rather be able to do it at home on a laptop, in comfort.

I couldn't even imagine checking the web on a 4-inch screen, it must be maddening.....and whatever it is, I am sure it can wait until I get home. The ONLY thing I could imagine getting one for is the GPS capability {Siri seems kind of cool also} but I can get one of those now for under 100 bucks.

PD.....I also use my 6-year old Nokia as a watch and alarm clock, and it has never let me down :)

I am still amazed at the naive approach of stock holders in Apple - they are sitting on billions and billions of dollars and have not returned a dime in dividends. A lot of the share price is being supported by that money. That money should be returned back to its shareholders in the 'normal' sense of how publicly owned companies operate.

I got the 4s recently because my lb smashed my 4 earlier this year. Ill probably get a 5, why not? Iphone is the best mobilephone ever, no contest.

I dont see the charm in using a Nokia 3310 in the year of 2012, but thats just me.

I find it quite amusing to

I find it amusing that almost every 3rd world hooker got an Iphone.

As for guys, they probably picked it up for free on a 2 year plan, 30 bucks/month. Its no use without the mobile surf /plan.

they are sitting on billions and billions of dollars and have not returned a dime in dividends. A lot of the share price is being supported by that money. That money should be returned back to its shareholders in the 'normal' sense of how publicly owned companies operate.

They gave me 1140 bucks just last month, their first dividend payout in years, and that will come every quarter now. They also did some kind of a share buyback recently, but what I want more than anything is a split so they could be included in the Dow 30; 10-1 would be excellent and IMO that would make the shares go from 66 to 100 rather quickly whereas going from 660 to 1000 could take a while. Trust me Mardhi, after a couple years trying to make it as a day trader [didn't work out so well], IMO having a large stake in Apple is as safe and reliable as gold was 4 or 5 years ago, and now with the dividend it's a no-brainer. Up 63% YTD, hard to argue with that kind of success.

But still no Iphone for me, will maybe get a MacBook air some day.

They gave me 1140 bucks just last month, their first dividend payout in years, and that will come every quarter now. They also did some kind of a share buyback recently, but what I want more than anything is a split so they could be included in the Dow 30; 10-1 would be excellent and IMO that would make the shares go from 66 to 100 rather quickly whereas going from 660 to 1000 could take a while. Trust me Mardhi, after a couple years trying to make it as a day trader [didn't work out so well], IMO having a large stake in Apple is as safe and reliable as gold was 4 or 5 years ago, and now with the dividend it's a no-brainer. Up 63% YTD, hard to argue with that kind of success.

But still no Iphone for me, will maybe get a MacBook air some day.

Ah OK - was not aware they had started paying dividends now - as you can probably guess I don't have any Apple stock so dont follow it especially closely.

I got the Galaxy S III and will never buy any apple products again... did own an Apple 3Gs - no issue with the device.

Just hate what Apple now stands for...

Must make all the shareholders happy knowing that most of Apple's $100 billion cash is offshore and the company is unable to bring it to good old USA as they have never paid any tax on it!!! So i guess the shareholders will never see it... how much are those dividends again... :)

Then again... a gain of 65% in past 12 months is not such a bad headache to have.

Don't believe the hype lads... protect you profits as all bubbles end one way... in misery!!

Happy trails ^__^

• Upvote 2

Must make all the shareholders happy knowing that most of Apple's $100 billion cash is offshore and the company is unable to bring it to good old USA as they have never paid any tax on it!!! So i guess the shareholders will never see it... how much are those dividends again... :)

Romney favors eliminating the Repatriation Tax. So if Obama is found in bed with a dead ladyboy, perhaps Apple, Google, Cisco, and other American companies with huge profits parked overseas would be a good buy.

Good to see ya back Azza! :drinks:

MacBook, why? Get an iPad & an external hd instead, most things will reside on the cloud soon.

I have an iPhone, using it to write this, Skype the relatives in Europe, check for directions or info when out & about. I suppose it's not necessary, but it's very,very handy.

To each his own.

:geek:

Having a reputation as a nerd, sometimes casual acquaintances are shocked that I don't worship in the cult of Jobs. They just don't understand nerds.

My phone and tablet does everything an iPhone and iPad can do -- in some cases better, in some cases worse. They also cost hundreds less. True, they aren't as pretty, both in terms of hardware and software design. But I can change or modify the operating systems and software on both -- not to mention the phone's sim card -- whenever I wish. The charger I use for my phone today is a generic one I bought years -- and three phones -- ago. The new iPhone features yet another, proprietary (naturally) connector, rendering previous iPhone chargers/cables and docks useless if you upgrade. The cable I use to connect my phone and my tablet to each other and/or to my laptop/PC are the same single cable: a standard micro USB cable, which I can buy at any electronics store in the world for a few bucks, should I lose it. The same for the charger for my tablet; it's a generic, industry-standard one.

Of course sometimes I have to endure alternately incredulous and smug looks when I pull out my hardware in public. *shrugs*

As for someone above who mentioned amusement at the fact that every hooker has an iPhone, well, it's because they don't spend their money on (other) hookers and drink. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2