Losing it in Laos: My Weekend in Vientiane...

farangbah

Excellent story with a happy ending! It does remind me why I have a 1000 baht phone with my contacts backed up....as Thaibound said to me (he having an even more decrepid phone than mine), if he left his phone on top of a 50 baht note in a bar, he would come back to find the money gone but the phone still there.

It's not that I think people will give into temptation but I prefer not to put it in their way, just in case. Plus the only use for a flash phone that I would have in Thailand is if it were possible to have pictures in the contacts - that might stop me looking at a name and number with no recollection who the individual was.

Great story FB!!! Happy it turned out well and you survived the ordeal safely.

5 years ago I was in Xian in China. I was robbed of everything. Passport, all ID, money, credit cards, phone, everything. I was in the middle of China penniless and had absolutely no way of identifying myself, contacting anyone, and the closest Canadian Embassy was in Shanghai. It was the worse and most frightening experience of my life. Losing a phone is one thing. Losing who you are in a foreign land is one helluva nightmare. I never want to go through that again.

Glad you got it in the back end FB...err....glad you got it back in the end i mean

Seriously: Well written and a good cautionary tale about Vientiane :-) - and knowing that Lay can be a stand up, if not straight, guy could come in handy for the rest of us :-)

great story FB,but why da fugg didnt ya stick her a few kip?.....no offence....

Nail on the head!

But still,when in Vientiane,we should all go to GQ and buy Lay a drink or two and tell him...."thanks for FarangBah"

Not sure about letting him suck my knob .though

• Upvote 1

Ladyboys, shady cops, sleazy bars, gays, double crossing bargirls, a mystery englishman and a stranger from Pittsburgh.

I really enjoyed your story and your writing style FB, like something out of a Warren Olsen novel.

Did you work out the role of the guy with the english accent or did I miss something.

Thanks for the comments, gents. It was indeed therapeutic to purge the story...

great story FB,but why da fugg didnt ya stick her a few kip?.....no offence....

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say, Slick Willie ma boy. Believe me, I was beating myself up all afternoon the next day at what I lost over a few dollars. But like I said, she went about it all wrong with her attitude, and it rubbed me the wrong way.

Did you work out the role of the guy with the english accent or did I miss something.

I can only conclude that he was an associate of GDS. I don't think he was connected to the paperboy or that the paperboy had tried to contact me.

On my second trip ever to LOS I made the mistake of having two drinks in every bar I saw from the Cucumber Restaraunt until I got through Walking Street. By the end of the night I was walking around and I could not find my hotel. I was staying at Parrs Place which is a little off the beaten path. As I was walking around lost and drunk like an ass, 2 LB"s on a scooter came by me and asked if I wanted company. They took me back to my hotel, we had a great shower, one was pre-op and one was post -op. All it cost me was $100.00. Man they could have robbed me or killed me. I was lucky. Thats my sad stupid story about being careful.

I doubt any ladyboy or anyone else would steal my phone , they wouldn't be seen dead with it .

:biggrin: Same same me. If I had 30 baht for everytime I've heard this when a girl sees me whip out my beat-up Nokia: "Nokia C6? Why you no hab iPhone?" ... well, I'd be much closer to officially retiring.

One girl, on my last trip, and I quote: "It's not even an Android." :laugh:

I doubt any ladyboy or anyone else would steal my phone , they wouldn't be seen dead with it .

:biggrin: Same same me. If I had 30 baht for everytime I've heard this when a girl sees me whip out my beat-up Nokia: "Nokia C6? Why you no hab iPhone?" ... well, I'd be much closer to officially retiring.

One girl, on my last trip, and I quote: "It's not even an Android." :laugh:

Yes, yes, I too had a shit phone when I came here on holiday, wise guys. I'd hazard a guess the phone you use at home is slightly less ridiculous.

Naw, I stick with my trusty brick-ish Nokias. Ever since one got ejected when I did a header while on a motorbike -- damn bass-ackwards brakes -- I've been partial. It skittered across the road -- unfortunately not unlike me -- and came apart in several pieces -- fortunately unlike me. I put the bike right side up, collected the pieces, licked my wounds and rode home (where that motorbike is still parked, for all I know) and put the phone back together (after bathing myself in Bactine and quaffing a beer and ibuprofen), turned it on, and holy shit, it still worked.

:good:

Nokias. Software UI may be shite, they may be ugly as Obsessions' mamasan (and about as clunky), but you can beat the piss out of 'em and they come back for more (also like Obsessions' mamasan, or so I imagine). And they're (relatively) cheap cheap (same same Obsessions mamasan?). I like that in a piece of kit.

Back in the States not only didn't I have a cell phone but I'd keep my home phone unplugged and only use it when I needed to make a call. Call me at the office.

But i digress from the topic. Trully an outstanding piece of writing FB. :hi:

As one of the guys said somewhat reminiscent of JaiDee who's style somewhat resembles Hemingway,

I've heard rumours that one of the bros will be visiting this weekend so perhaps some further tidbits will be uncovered.

But i digress from the topic. Trully an outstanding piece of writing FB. :hi:

Agreed. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, FB, and it was indeed an epic, well-written story and I'm glad you got your phone back. Most people wouldn't have persevered and written it off. Well played. :happy0065:

As for livin' large -- digression again -- just not a phone guy, I guess. I have a ridiculously powerful laptop (and an even more ridiculous PC at home collecting dust), if that counts. :happy0148:

• Upvote 1