Music, good or bad.

seven

23 hours ago, Woodie said:

Looking at that record, I started thinking, why did they settle on the turntable speeds that they did. ie the old 78, then 45, 33 and so on. Any ideas?.

When I was a kid we used to sit on the back lawn winding up the old record player and sometimes throwing the records (78's) around like a discus. Was fun watching them buckle in the sun!!!

I decided to google it.

It seems to be that the speed was set to suit the record size,ie 45 was 7 inch and 33.1/3, 12inch with a lot of tracks. Also Columbia and RCA had a commercial battle going on around 1950 between 45 and 33.

2 hours ago, seven said:

Gets top reviews, as expected. 

Not from me. Probably this song indeed is based on the original song / tape from the seventies. But is also proves how easy it will be in the future to use AI to 'discover' new songs, on which Lennon/Harrison never have contributed. 

For me, it makes boundaries fading away ... terrifying development :rolleye0012:

2 hours ago, seven said:

Personally I think Lennon was better solo after the Beatles as it's the most overrated band in history. This is nothing to get excited over imo.

I concur. Until Rubber Soul's release their stuff was bubble-gummers' barf. Then came Michelle and others and while their music as a band stagnated into mediocrity their songwriting and harmonies flourished and were terrific. 

The Beatles are by any objective measure of success the most musically and culturally important band in the History of Mankind.  What came right after (Rolling Stones, Queen, Beach Boys, Bee Gees, The Who ...) were Beatle-elaborations and eventually there were so many bands with some international projection (Nirvana, Prince, The Cure, REM ) that none ever could match or will ever match the tsunami effect the Beatles had on the society and culture of their times.  IMHO John Lennon was a musical genius comparable to Mozart.  The kind who can compose a brilliant song in a flash...

Now I ask BMs:  who do you think is the 2nd most musically important and socially influential band after the Beatles ?

My pick:  ABBA.

• Like 1

i totally agree. Beatles are the most cultural important and successful band ever. And John Lennon leads the charge for the highest consciousness and genuis of the band. 100% agree on this.

In terms of others in modern music that had a major impact in my view:

1. Led Zeppelin

2. Michael Jackson

3. Elvis

But if I'm going to say who I personally think brought the most inspiration to music lovers if we include both commercial mass market (like Beatles) and other less commercial genres.....my picks are.... trying to keep some chronological order in terms of the development of popular music.

1. Muddy Waters

2. Willie Dixon

3. Elvis

4. Beatles

5. Beach Boys

6. Rolling Stones

7. Led Zeppelin

8. Jimi Hendrix

9. Sex Pistols

10. Bee Gees

11. Blondie

12. James Brown

13. ABBA

14. The Clash

15. Michael Jackson

16. Whitney Houston

17. Guns n Rose's

18. AC DC

19. Public Enemy

20. JayZ

21. Nirvana

22. Some artists from EDM...... but there is no one who totally dominates because electronics have created thousands of subgenres.

Notice how the latter guys were inspired by the prior.... like Muddy and Willie were inspired and even ripped off by the latter guys.....like Beatles and Zeppelin.... and Jimi..... and then these guys inspired punk and heavy metal ......and soul inspired disco and that inspired hip hop and then edm.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rom said:

culturally important

Exactly. They were first.

So, most influential and culturally important? Probably yes , together with Elvis and Bob Dylan.

4 hours ago, Rom said:

most musically important and socially influential band after the Beatles ?

Can’t name only one as these are equally important:

The Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols, the Clash.

4 hours ago, The-Sith said:

i totally agree. Beatles are the most cultural important and successful band ever. And John Lennon leads the charge for the highest consciousness and genuis of the band. 100% agree on this.

In terms of others in modern music that had a major impact in my view:

1. Led Zeppelin

2. Michael Jackson

3. Elvis

But if I'm going to say who I personally think brought the most inspiration to music lovers if we include both commercial mass market (like Beatles) and other less commercial genres.....my picks are.... trying to keep some chronological order in terms of the development of popular music.

1. Muddy Waters

2. Willie Dixon

3. Elvis

4. Beatles

5. Beach Boys

6. Rolling Stones

7. Led Zeppelin

8. Jimi Hendrix

9. Sex Pistols

10. Bee Gees

11. Blondie

12. James Brown

13. ABBA

14. The Clash

15. Michael Jackson

16. Whitney Houston

17. Guns n Rose's

18. AC DC

19. Public Enemy

20. JayZ

21. Nirvana

22. Some artists from EDM...... but there is no one who totally dominates because electronics have created thousands of subgenres.

Notice how the latter guys were inspired by the prior.... like Muddy and Willie were inspired and even ripped off by the latter guys.....like Beatles and Zeppelin.... and Jimi..... and then these guys inspired punk and heavy metal ......and soul inspired disco and that inspired hip hop and then edm.

Quite the selection........never was a Beatles fan (not taking away any of their accomplishments).  I think you are all under rating Elvis, after all he was the King, in a non monarch society........

• Like 1

thanks guys.....

the list I wrote is more CHRONOLOGICAL and im not ranking who is better than whom. The Blues guys came first.... BEFORE Elvis.... then Beatles and the 60s and 70s and disco and metal and rap.

There are bands and singers on the list that I don't listen to ever.... like Whitney Houston and even Michael Jackson and ABBA (I did listen to ABBAand Bee Gees when I was much younger and have tremenous respect for MJ as a musical talent but im not going to go out of my way to listen to them).... .....and honestly......most of these groups i would never listen to again.

Music is like movies......I can watch Star Wars 10 times....... but can I watch it 35 times?

no way.... just like I can't listen to this music above over and over and over again......even for my favorite bands on this list.

Because music is progressive and evolves.

Rock music particularly is so antiquated....everything is a derivative and not much new.... a four four Beat...a chorus....some guitar.....lyrics..... not much difference from rock in the 1980s to today. It has been 40 years of stagnation.

Boring IMHO.

Even rap/hip hop has not evolved that much over the past 15 years.

EDM is where its at. Everything is progressive and evolving and technology adds multiple more layers. But as @Pdoggg noted that BMs can't even get to late 1990s with Jayz.... and most of the best EDM is since then to today.  So I'm not going to talk about EDM here..... plus because it's so diverse.... there is no dominant producer. Tiesto is famous....he's a total joke. I think I saw him at a rave like 25 years ago and he was ok but as noted I saw him in Vegas like 7 years ago and it was painful. But if any lad loves music and loves evolution of music.... then EDM is it.

And one guy I forgot to add to that list... somewhere around the time of the Bee Gees....is Bob Marley.

Bob Marley totally influenced music and represented a vibe and movement...like Sex Pistols and Public Enemy.

Also maybe Fela Aníkúlápó Kuti from Nigeria... but asking him might be getting away from 'popular' music.

And if I was going to pick something from EDM it would be Kraftwerk from Germany which influenced both EDM and Hip Hop BIG TIME!

• Like 2

and by the way..... when you listen and appreciate progressive music of now.... you stay younger and your mind progresses and you can connect to younger babes at a deeper level. Because the hottest young babes..... particularly in the West....are not going to listen to stuff from the 1960s and 70s and even 80s..... unless it's a band that still is cool....like Led Zeppelin or AC DC or Guns n Rose's.

Young pussy that are 20 to 29 years of age likes cutting edge music and just as being into cool music got a lot of us laid when we were 21..... it gets us laid today when we are 30 to 40 years older..... because girls love cool.... and music is the purveyor of coolness.

One more to add to the list right after Jimi Hendrix is Pink Floyd. Definitely they are so influential to not only rock but also big time on EDM.

When the cosmonauts in Soviet Russia were allowed to put something into a space capsule to represent human archivement.... to send to space and perhaps aliens would find.... they had a gold Long Play Disc of Pink Floyd.

Just like when you go to Havana to the park.... you will see a bench with a statue of John Lenon ..... because these musicians traversed political ideology and moved humans.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, The-Sith said:

Tiesto is famous....he's a total joke. I think I saw him at a rave like 25 years ago and he was ok but as noted I saw him in Vegas like 7 years ago and it was painful.

Tiesto's latest is a Barbie remix which old farang probably won't like but then they won't like the original either.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, The-Sith said:

thanks guys.....

the list I wrote is more CHRONOLOGICAL and im not ranking who is better than whom. The Blues guys came first.... BEFORE Elvis.... then Beatles and the 60s and 70s and disco and metal and rap.

There are bands and singers on the list that I don't listen to ever.... like Whitney Houston and even Michael Jackson and ABBA (I did listen to ABBAand Bee Gees when I was much younger and have tremenous respect for MJ as a musical talent but im not going to go out of my way to listen to them).... .....and honestly......most of these groups i would never listen to again.

Music is like movies......I can watch Star Wars 10 times....... but can I watch it 35 times?

no way.... just like I can't listen to this music above over and over and over again......even for my favorite bands on this list.

Because music is progressive and evolves.

Rock music particularly is so antiquated....everything is a derivative and not much new.... a four four Beat...a chorus....some guitar.....lyrics..... not much difference from rock in the 1980s to today. It has been 40 years of stagnation.

Boring IMHO.

Even rap/hip hop has not evolved that much over the past 15 years.

8 hours ago, The-Sith said:

and by the way..... when you listen and appreciate progressive music of now.... you stay younger and your mind progresses and you can connect to younger babes at a deeper level. Because the hottest young babes..... particularly in the West....are not going to listen to stuff from the 1960s and 70s and even 80s..... unless it's a band that still is cool....like Led Zeppelin or AC DC or Guns n Rose's.

Young pussy that are 20 to 29 years of age likes cutting edge music and just as being into cool music got a lot of us laid when we were 21..... it gets us laid today when we are 30 to 40 years older..... because girls love cool.... and music is the purveyor of coolness. 

Rock stars from rock'n roll to rap were young and they interested young audiences. Although musics of the 1970s or 1980s are still great music, their authors are now old people singing for old people audience. It's a pity when I see these guys who  had the ability to captivate an entire audience as they were dressed with jeans and t-shirts sometimes come on television and sing their once beautiful melodies, unable to do justice with their aged voices while dressed in their millionaire suits.; They forgot to make their audience dream. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

Rock stars from rock'n roll to rap were young and they interested young audiences. Although musics of the 1970s or 1980s are still great music, their authors are now old people singing for old people audience. It's a pity when I see these guys who  had the ability to captivate an entire audience as they were dressed with jeans and t-shirts sometimes come on television and sing their once beautiful melodies, unable to do justice with their aged voices while dressed in their millionaire suits.; They forgot to make their audience dream. 

most are doing it for the extra cash.

Kiss went on their last tour 2019......it was THE END OF THE ROAD TOUR. Their very final tour.

It's still going strong.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, The-Sith said:

Bob Marley.

Absolutely. A legend.

Bowie and Iggy Pop deserves mentioning. The Ramones as well. Lou Reed, VU etc., the list is almost endless.

10 hours ago, The-Sith said:

are not going to listen to stuff from the 1960s and 70s and even 80s..... unless it's a band that still is cool....like Led Zeppelin or AC DC or Guns n Rose's.

You sure about that? My 12 year old niece is on TikTok all day and I'm surprised she knows some of the old stuff I play. You better get on TikTok to stay up to date.

GnR still cool? Come on... They're pathetic now. Liked them in the 90s , saw them live a few times but today, no way. About as cool as Bon Jovi.

11 hours ago, The-Sith said:

EDM is where its at.

Ehh, no.  Unless you're fucked up on syntechical drugs its DJ shit.

37 minutes ago, The-Sith said:

most are doing it for the extra cash.

You think Bob Dylan needs to be on his Neverending tour? Stones, Springsteen need touring? U2 doing their Vegas residence right now? Isn't Mc Cartney still doing shows?

Kiss maybe, but they're never been a very good band, more of a business.

1 hour ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

their authors are now old people singing for old people audience.

Mostly yes but I'm surprised how many young kids attending Stones and Dylan shows. Caught them both live last year. Now, Van Morrison last summer was a senior citizen meeting. I was one of the younger (57) in the crowd.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, seven said:

Absolutely. A legend.

Bowie and Iggy Pop deserves mentioning. The Ramones as well. Lou Reed, VU etc., the list is almost endless.

You sure about that? My 12 year old niece is on TikTok all day and I'm surprised she knows some of the old stuff I play. You better get on TikTok to stay up to date.

GnR still cool? Come on... They're pathetic now. Liked them in the 90s , saw them live a few times but today, no way. About as cool as Bon Jovi.

Ehh, no.  Unless you're fucked up on syntechical drugs its DJ shit.

You think Bob Dylan needs to be on his Neverending tour? Stones, Springsteen need touring? U2 doing their Vegas residence right now? Isn't Mc Cartney still doing shows?

Kiss maybe, but they're never been a very good band, more of a business.

I'd add those guys too Bowie and Ramones..... I respect Lou Reed and Iggy Pop but don't know much about them.

One thing is...... 12 year Olds do NOT know cool.

Need to ask 17 to 30 year old. A 12 year old is still learning about music...... sometimes learning from the parents too.

And I'm not saying GnR is STILL cool. Their old music is super cool though.....and that old music still is cool.

None of these oldsters prancing on stage trying to squeeze out more dollars is cool. Rolling Stones suck shit in concert and the last time I saw them was 20 years ago...... they BLEW. Keith Richard's was so fucked on stage and slurring his speech.... he could do that from his teens to his 40s.... but in his 70s and 80s it's so fucking lame.....not because an old man can't do good stuff... but watching an old man rock on stage when there is so much fresh music out there is lame.

I know just as much as anyone on here about all these rock bands....... this type of music is done. It's like black n white movies..... it's like model T cars.... it's like a cathode ray tube TV or a circular dial phone.... I guess it's nostalgic to have but it's so far behind where music is today and it's been so over done to death. I haven't heard an original sound in Rock or Pop in 40 Years.

I'm not criticizing the music or anyone who listens to it. I'm saying it's not "happening" any more.... the life and spirit in it is gone. The best most progressive and intelligent and rebellious youth of today don't do rock songs.

And the hottest babes are the litmus test.....just like Beatles and Zeppelin and Stones and GunsnRoses would attract the hottest most slutty party babes on their tours..... it's no longer the rock bands that get the creme de la creme of hot poon tang.

It's house...it's techno.... it's other subgenres of house and techno plus other types of electronic music that get the most beautiful young women who are dressed so stunningly and love to party and fuck (18 to 29).

That's the proof of what's cool.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, The-Sith said:

I'd add those guys too Bowie and Ramones..... I respect Lou Reed and Iggy Pop but don't know much about them.

One thing is...... 12 year Olds do NOT know cool.

Need to ask 17 to 30 year old. A 12 year old is still learning about music...... sometimes learning from the parents too.

And I'm not saying GnR is STILL cool. Their old music is super cool though.....and that old music still is cool.

None of these oldsters prancing on stage trying to squeeze out more dollars is cool. Rolling Stones suck shit in concert and the last time I saw them was 20 years ago...... they BLEW. Keith Richard's was so fucked on stage and slurring his speech.... he could do that from his teens to his 40s.... but in his 70s and 80s it's so fucking lame.....not because an old man can't do good stuff... but watching an old man rock on stage when there is so much fresh music out there is lame.

I know just as much as anyone on here about all these rock bands....... this type of music is done. It's like black n white movies..... it's like model T cars.... it's like a cathode ray tube TV or a circular dial phone.... I guess it's nostalgic to have but it's so far behind where music is today and it's been so over done to death. I haven't heard an original sound in Rock or Pop in 40 Years.

I'm not criticizing the music or anyone who listens to it. I'm saying it's not "happening" any more.... the life and spirit in it is gone. The best most progressive and intelligent and rebellious youth of today don't do rock songs.

And the hottest babes are the litmus test.....just like Beatles and Zeppelin and Stones and GunsnRoses would attract the hottest most slutty party babes on their tours..... it's no longer the rock bands that get the creme de la creme of hot poon tang.

It's house...it's techno.... it's other subgenres of house and techno plus other types of electronic music that get the most beautiful young women who are dressed so stunningly and love to party and fuck (18 to 29).

That's the proof of what's cool.

Iggy was inspired by the MC5....Kickout the jams........MF's

• Like 1
5 hours ago, seven said:

Mostly yes but I'm surprised how many young kids attending Stones and Dylan shows. Caught them both live last year. Now, Van Morrison last summer was a senior citizen meeting. I was one of the younger (57) in the crowd.

for me Van is a lousy show........lazy!!!