Low Toilet Seats

Pdoggg

It seem that in Asia toilets are built for Asians who tend to be shorter than farang.  Adding to that is a bad knee and getting up and down on/off theseat isn't ideal.  Just moved and things that I usually use for a little support are not a good solution in this particular hong nam.  In Cambodia and the Philippines I destroyed two sinks using them for support ripping them off the wall.  I am renting so can't make any permanent changes to the place.

I am thinking a plunger might be a good workaround.  Anyone have any ideas?

It's for your own good in a way, PD. High thrones maybe easier to rise from but not so good for "chokin a darkie, mate". B)

Squatting has certain benefits in expelling a nasty eyewaterer. Hence the low slung ones in most Thai abodes of the past year. The dastardly influence of Western civilisation has crept into Asian culture and high crappers are slowly taking over.

The drawback to the low slung model is that if your knees or quads aren't up to speed you are marooned,  without assistance, caught between two stools you might say.

:yes:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

It seem that in Asia toilets are built for Asians who tend to be shorter than farang.  Adding to that is a bad knee and getting up and down on/off theseat isn't ideal.  Just moved and things that I usually use for a little support are not a good solution in this particular hong nam.  In Cambodia and the Philippines I destroyed two sinks using them for support ripping them off the wall.  I am renting so can't make any permanent changes to the place.

I am thinking a plunger might be a good workaround.  Anyone have any ideas?

careful you don't pull a hammy Mr. P.

As Quinn posted , have a look at Lazadar and you can pay on delivery. 

Thank you, PD. It's an ill wind that does nobody any good, they say.

Bad backs also present a problem when the crapper is a lowdowner. But it forces you to address the problem and master the weakness as best you can. I can recall visiting and staying in a rural village home with a former GF and wondering just how I was gonna arise without calling for aid. Quelle embracement as they say, sorta.

:mad0261:

put a bolt into the center top of the door frame, attach a rope and a big ring to that.  Another bolt or screw at the upper corner of the door frame would be useful for swinging the rope over to keep the rope/ring to the side of the door opening when not in use.

or maybe an old used Zimmer frame retro fitted in some way? I suppose you could hang it over the toilet on some small easily repaired after you move, fasteners/hooks.

• Like 1
On 9/11/2020 at 10:00 PM, Jimmy Cargopants said:

A low crapper is nothing. I recall in China everywhere except fancy tourist hotels it was just a hole in the ground. It kept you fit and you did tend to evacuate the bowels more efficiently. I imagine in rural Thailand it might be the same?

I remember that many years ago the All Blacks were touring France and when in the southern area went to a restaurant. One of the team went for a crap in one of those hole in the ground things. When he returned to his table it was pointed out to him that there was some extraneous matter hanging from his trousers. He had not pulled them down far enough!!!!. 

It made for a good news story anyway!.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Another trick I carried forward from lower back injury days - when you wish to arise after your labours, roll fowards. It gives you a momentum which seems to work in assisting you to stand upright. A tip from the socalled Alexander technique developed to assist when vacating the throne or, for that matter, climbing out of a low slung soft lounge. I still apply it subconsciously now. I also do a series of back exercises every morning to free it up.

B)

• Like 1