Captain Tom Moore

duke007

At least there is something to be celebrated amongst all the mess that is going on right now.

Great to hear about and see.

Just love the photograph of the Hurricane and especially the Spitfire, which I rank as in the 3 most beautiful designed and made mechanical objects. Along with the original E type Jag and the Lambo Countach. The Spitfire with its eliptical wings and fantastic symmetry is near perfect. Sorry for the sidetrack.

By the way. You have to hear the sound of the Spitfire. When at full speed the sound that the motor makes is spine tingling.

A family friend was in training to be a Spitfire pilot in the early part of the war and went to Canada to complete it. On the voyage back to England the ship he was on was torpedoed and he and some others spent 4 days in a life raft bobbing around in the Atlantic until they were picked up. I guess we dont have it any harder than that?.

• Like 2

It was very nice to see that Captain Tom made the Thai TV last night, with a short clip of him doing part of his walk around his garden. Even my other half commented on what a great thing he had done.

Time will pass and memories will fade - that's life I suppose - but I hope he will be remembered for a long time.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

I must admit that I am a bit of a Royalist.

Good to see something like this. He did his bit and got rewarded for it.

Some of the newsie gossip type TV programs here make fun of the royals if they can which I suppose gets a laugh from the yobbos.

A number of years ago one of these tv frontmen made a joke about the Queen on the operating table giving birth to Charlie. I am no killjoy but it was very base stuff. I actually wrote to the TV station and after many weeks received a reply saying that the comments made were not serious enough, and in the context of the program were not outside their standards, or words to that effect. Any Aussies on here would know the program, The Project.

Good for him and a chance for Liz to mingle with someone her own age. Surely Britain should be ashamed that its' greatest achievement - the NHS - that should be fully tax funded has to rely on an old man walking around his garden while the general public sticks their hand in their pocket. Madness. Boris and his cronies must be pissing themselves.

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
18 hours ago, duke007 said:

Makes you wonder :fool:  :mad0216:

I am disgusted that something like this should happen. Free speech is all very well, but to make a protest in such a way shows no respect for a great man. And in the interview I could've leapt through the tv and punched the young bloke. I'm absolutely fuming. I almost wish you hadn't posted it, but I'm glad you did - if only to show a glimpse of what we can expect more of. Lost for words now.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cobber32 said:

I am disgusted that something like this should happen. Free speech is all very well, but to make a protest in such a way shows no respect for a great man. And in the interview I could've leapt through the tv and punched the young bloke. I'm absolutely fuming. I almost wish you hadn't posted it, but I'm glad you did - if only to show a glimpse of what we can expect more of. Lost for words now.

It's ok Cobber, I will continue.

That young "bloke", Is just a symbol of what happens when young people are brainwashed into thinking thoughts such as he is spewing out. They invariably come from a university background where they sit around discussing ways and means of rebelling against society. To come up with the bucket of muck must have taken some thought!. Can you imagine a group of young people discussing it and then agreeing that this is the best course of action?.

I think it was apparent that he did not want to be on tv but was chosen as the sacrificial lamb. It is beyond the pale but there you go. 

The girl will get a telling off, charged with offensive behaviour or something similar and ordered to pay a couple of hundred quid. That will be it.

• Like 2