Cockatoo -- Soi Cowboy

Trenton42

Cockatoo is located at the far end of Soi Cowboy (as one walks from Asoke), on the right side, near Rio.

Cockatoo is a little wider than Temptations NEP, but it’s considerably deeper.

The bar isn’t open yet; they’re busy refurbishing the insides. My guess is some time in February.

I’ll be in Patters for the GOTC, but once in Bangkok I’ll be sharking Cockatoo regularly.

post-295-070078600 1327318537.jpg

• Upvote 4

Thanks PDogg. It's good to be back.

There are some political considerations that may make this venture interesting to watch.

With regard to the bar's size: I got inside the other day and as it had been gutted, there wasn't much else to report. In fact, the sign only just went up.

But also, considering some of the flash bars on Soi Cowboy, a small bar may have a hard time unless it has an impressive roster.

Anyway, I'll keep my eye on it and report anything intersting.

• Upvote 1

I know Trenton has commented elsewhere about the ownership and how it can go head to head with one of the dominant players in Cowboy which in itself its good. However its also beneficial to counter the dominance of one group on the entire LB scene in Bangkok. Having a number of complimentary players is good the scene as a whole and should be welcomed.

I have my doubts as to its viability on Cowboy but I hope I am proved wrong and another strong bar comes out as a result.

Cheers

Mardhi

Hey mardhi,

Your information on the owner of Cockatoo is prolly much better than what I’ve heard, and frankly, considering the sad state of the NEP LB bars, I find it a little hard to believe what I’ve heard.

When I saw Cockatoo had been gutted *and* they put up that fancy sign, I wondered if the Billboard Group wasn’t behind it.

I certainly don’t remember any of the NEP LB bars putting any money into the space when they took over (with the possible exception of Obsession just because I can’t remember much about the bar before it switched).

And then there’s the different police district and having the word ‘Ladyboys’ on the sign. Not to mention The Arab...

I agree it'll be an uphill fight for Cockatoo. But if they have an interesting roster, they may be able to carve out a slice of the pie.

There are a couple doors yet to knock on, and I’ll post if anything interesting develops.

Hey mardhi,

Your information on the owner of Cockatoo is prolly much better than what I’ve heard, and frankly, considering the sad state of the NEP LB bars, I find it a little hard to believe what I’ve heard.

When I saw Cockatoo had been gutted *and* they put up that fancy sign, I wondered if the Billboard Group wasn’t behind it.

I certainly don’t remember any of the NEP LB bars putting any money into the space when they took over (with the possible exception of Obsession just because I can’t remember much about the bar before it switched).

And then there’s the different police district and having the word ‘Ladyboys’ on the sign. Not to mention The Arab...

I agree it'll be an uphill fight for Cockatoo. But if they have an interesting roster, they may be able to carve out a slice of the pie.

There are a couple doors yet to knock on, and I’ll post if anything interesting develops.

Cowboy has historically been able to get away with more showing than Lumpini and I don't see any particular issue with the authorities for the opening of a LB bar - its more the other bars I see as being the problem and trying to stir things up as they have always sought to keep Cowboy LB free (and with good success).

Some might argue that the vast quantitiy of LB related problems has caused numerous issues with patrons of Nana Plaza and despite the continual efforts of the police, the problem still seems to be prevalent in Soi 4. I suspect the management of Nana has not recognised this problem and ensure its dealt with at a high level - its entirely doable with the right will, but its left to grow and grow. For us as a LB loving community its good, but for Nana as a whole its not ideal. Getting rid of the dross and druggies is good for the whole scene IMHO but it seems to be a minority view. By the way, this is not me being anti-freelancers - its just being anti crazies and smak heads who keep pickpocketing, stealing etc who piss off all and sundry and thus damages the 'decent' LB scene.

But going back to Cockatoo - I have been told its the same guys who own Temptation and other bars in Soi Cowboy (I forget which ones they are, but Shark springs to mind).

• Upvote 1

Cowboy has historically been able to get away with more showing than Lumpini and I don't see any particular issue with the authorities for the opening of a LB bar - its more the other bars I see as being the problem and trying to stir things up as they have always sought to keep Cowboy LB free (and with good success).

Some might argue that the vast quantitiy of LB related problems has caused numerous issues with patrons of Nana Plaza and despite the continual efforts of the police, the problem still seems to be prevalent in Soi 4. I suspect the management of Nana has not recognised this problem and ensure its dealt with at a high level - its entirely doable with the right will, but its left to grow and grow. For us as a LB loving community its good, but for Nana as a whole its not ideal. Getting rid of the dross and druggies is good for the whole scene IMHO but it seems to be a minority view. By the way, this is not me being anti-freelancers - its just being anti crazies and smak heads who keep pickpocketing, stealing etc who piss off all and sundry and thus damages the 'decent' LB scene.

But going back to Cockatoo - I have been told its the same guys who own Temptation and other bars in Soi Cowboy (I forget which ones they are, but Shark springs to mind).

Last time I was in Temptation, they had a pretty full house. Maybe they're stocking up for the new bar.

I'm all for getting rid of the pickpockets, but concerned about a return of the Social Order campaign.

• 2 weeks later...

While I was enjoying myself last weekend, balls-deep in my favorite LBs of Pattaya, Cockatoo quietly opened their doors.

Got a chance to check out the Cockatoo on Monday night. The bar is all new inside. It’s quite nice to spend some time in a go-go with comfortable seats. It was also nice that they kept the music at a reasonable level.

Arriving at the bar, there were four or five girls sitting about outside. Maybe they were welcome girls or just taking a break; either way, they were very busily conserving energy. When asked if the bar was open yet, they then got excited and welcomed me into the bar.

Inside, there were two girls onstage startled to see a customer, a couple lounging in the seats, and another couple in the back admiring their reflections in the mirrors. There were about a dozen or so girls at the bar I found a seat, ordered a beer, and the girls got busy “entertaining.”

The mamasan came over to introduce herself, and mentioned that the bar opened last Friday. She said usually they have more girls, but as Monday is a slow day, they were only half-staffed. The mamasan suggested coming back on Friday or Saturday to see *all* the girls. Taking a guess, when I asked the mamasan what was upstairs she said it wasn’t finished yet, which could be true considering the pace of construction; however, more than one of the girls in the bar said there was a ST room upstairs. That’s something worth a follow-up.

It didn’t take long watching the girls strut their stuff onstage to notice they weren’t all packing. After making my choice, the promise of a LD got my favorite to come down from the stage. She quickly discovered the Mighty Sequoia, and moments later her bikini began to succumb to the bar’s gravity.

At first, I was the only customer in the bar, but three others soon followed. Although there was a lot of eye contact, the girls really didn’t pressure the customers for drinks. My experience is that there is a lot of fun to be had in the bar, but it takes a LD to break the ice.

I wouldn’t say Cockatoo hit a home-run on my first visit, but they defo got on base. I’m very happy to go back to sample the roster and also see if there are any additions. And an upstairs ST room could be very convenient for some.

• Upvote 7

Got back into town last night and took my str8 m8 to Soi Cowboy for his final night. Passed by Cockatoo a couple times, and there were a good few lookers outside beckoning for our custom.

As Trenton alluded to, with the fact that some of them appeared to be posties, my general take from the look of them is that this place is perhaps going for less farm fresh and more BKK glam...

Those hotties out front have me curious for a closer inspection. Weekend plans, anyone...?

• Upvote 1

How long are you in BKK DT? I'm back in LOS late Tuesday, and will certainly take a stroll along Soi Cowboy one day next week.

I'm there until I fly home Friday morning. A friend from USA is meeting me wed and thurs, not into our scene but not a hater either (he hung with me at famous) so lets get together!

Alas, I'm importing a 22 year-old Japanese GG on Monday...

Got a shiny new school uniform for her to try on, and a brand new feather duster to go with the French maid costume (think I near gave the feather duster street vendor lady a heart attack that she actually made a sale that day)... :crazysmile:

It's gonna be Halloween on Valentine's at Chez Farangbah...! :give_rose:

Inside its a nice setup, the stage is down the center and seating on the sides, its like Temptations in Nana, except larger and done much better.

The girls are a mix, some new faces and a lot of familiar faces from all the bars in Nana. Most are packing, but there are a few posties so its good advice to grope.

There are a few 'surprise' girls there, but I have been pinky sworn to silence and can't name names.

Drink prices are similar to Nana, but on the bright side they stock Beer Lao.

I like the place and will be going back :pic:

• Upvote 2

Looks like Scoop Snick beat this beat reporter to the scoop, but I agree, had fun and will go back.

As suspected, the girls are a bit too far up the slippery slope for me to reach on most occasions. When one poll dancer gyrated down to a squatting position you could actually count the ripples of hip implants down her side. There was a platinum blond Odette, and a spot-on Jane twin-sister-of-Jay lookalike, replete with black-rimmed glasses, working the Hot-for-Teacher schtick like there's no tomorrow.

But the hottest girl in the place was Yaya, from Temptations -- god, she is beautiful! -- there on a visit "to check ou'...". Liking beautiful ladyboys, I sat down with her and was promptly told we were not allowed to fraternize. So, that was interesting... :notfair:

• Upvote 1

Finally a reason to go to Cowboy. Yeah, good time last night at Cockatoo. The bar has a good feel to it despite all of the silicone. 2 very active mamasans making sure every customer got prompt and thorough attention especially the 2 young Japanese boys across the aisle from us. As someone commented, the place really had it's act together considering that it is a new venue. I liked the "Jane Teacher" girl (having always been somewhat smitten by the Sisters over the years) but gave my attentions to the Cinderella service girl. I will def be back. I think that it is great idea and the time is right at this location.