Camera of choice?

Stroker

With high season fast approaching perhaps some of you are planning to record your adventures while in SE Asia.  So what is your weapon of choice and do you have any recommendations for cameras?  Do you stick with the camera on your phone, or use a pocket size digital point and shoot, or go a tad further and bring a big sensor dslr or a mirrorless shooter?

11 minutes ago, Stroker said:

With high season fast approaching perhaps some of you are planning to record your adventures while in SE Asia.  So what is your weapon of choice and do you have any recommendations for cameras?  Do you stick with the camera on your phone, or use a pocket size digital point and shoot, or go a tad further and bring a big sensor dslr or a mirrorless shooter?

I made the decision  a few years ago that I would  never  buy another  digital SLR  or "bridge' camera as they  are too expensive  and way  too bulky  for my needs so I have 2  30x zoom point and shoot cameras (bigger than most point  and shoot  cameras because  of huge zoom range, but still fit in pockets  ) a Canon sx700 and a Sony hx50 I love them and got great deals on  both of them 

• Upvote 1

Pocket fitting super zoom cameras like you mention GT are great all rounders for anyone travelling.  They have pretty good wide angles yet you can also zoom right in and get a good close up street shots without being too intrusive.  Panasonic make this type of camera also with the Lumix TZ70 / ZS50 being one of the recent popular models.

It depends on what kind of quality and photo options you want when you take the pictures. Camera phones have improved to the point of almost making "point and shoot" cameras extinct. However, due to the nature of the size of the phone camera image sensor, if the photos are viewed at larger sizes, most will come up short in quality, especially when compared to a DSLR.

While DSLRs give the best image quality and more options (more optical zoom, stronger flash, better low light capability), the drawbacks of size and weight make it a challenge to bring them on your trip. This is compounded if you want to use more lenses and a flash.

I still bring my DSLR for my trips - but I am not using it for the bar photos anymore. I use it for contests, cabaret shows, and for special sights when I travel with my girlfriend.

I still have an old Panasonic TZ5, which I use for the bars now. The image quality is not as good as my DSLR, but for the bar photos it is good enough. I would say the other advantage with DSLRs is that there is minimal lag from the time you press the shutter button to the time the photo is actually taken. The point and shoot and phone cameras definitely have a longer lag. I haven't used a bridge camera yet, so I am not sure about the lag in those.

• Upvote 2

I like my old Fuji SLR it is a bit bulky but it takes a half decent pic and video as well ( I am no photographer ). I find it much better than the phone pics but not as convenient to carry , being the size of my SLR I don't carry it at night much and end up saying I wish I had my camera , so maybe I should go for the pocket job as quality of the small ones is much better now.

The first photos I posted about Zaza Massage I took with my SLR and all the others taken with Dao's   Phone , I find that the phone pics are much more grainier on zoom ( but could be the operator )  .

Do the top of the rang android and Iphones take a good pic or should I go for the pocket job.

But I think you can end up carrying way to many devices , To Thailand I bring the SLR , Tablet and the phone . A 3 in one for me might be the go.   

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, stoolpusher said:

I find that the phone pics are much more grainier on zoom ( but could be the operator )  .

Do the top of the rang android and Iphones take a good pic or should I go for the pocket job.

The phones rely on a digital zoom rather than an optical zoom on a regular point & shoot, and so in reality all you are getting is an enlarged digital image and thus grainier.  The Samsung 7 should take decent shots in good light, but as Rx mentions for low light pics a larger sensor is a great advantage.  There are some P & S cameras with a 1 inch sensor which take pretty good photos and can be carried in the pocket but they tend to be a bit pricier than a regular P & S.  

People are often confusing the Samsung Note 7 (exploding battery) with the Galaxy S7 (great phone, no issues)

I switched to the S7 a few weeks back and have been very happy. I got a good deal at my local Samsung shop, they were doing it for 20K and they chucked in the wireless charger, which to be honest I've hardly used. The camera on it is for sure the best I've had on any phone, I stopped taking out my point and click as I feel the S7 more than holds it's own as a "bar" cam.

20161002_055735.jpg

joy chalot.jpg

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, KendoUK said:

I switched to the S7 a few weeks back and have been very happy.

I read the reviews of the camera on the S7 a few months back when I was thinking of getting one and yes they were all glowing reports.  That bar shot is as good as any regular P&S camera.  I finally got the Samsung A5 (2016 version) and it takes pretty good shots also.

photoaa.jpg

ph.jpg 

• Upvote 1

I finally went with a point and shoot because the semi DSLR was just TOO BIG to get into anything but a mil spec cargo pocket. Asked a guy why he carried a 5 shot mini revolver (it fits in the watch pocket on jeans) and he said a .45 sitting at home because it's to heavy to carry every day won't do him any good. The pics from the bigger camera WERE good, but I found I can tweak the Nikon's pics with Irfanview, to make em sharper. Now the problem is I'm spending lots of time editing because as it's ALWAYS with me I get 5 times more photos. But I don't miss much now so better all around. Plus if it's stolen (not likely, it's cheap and PURPLE) it's easy to replace.

• Upvote 1