Pop or Rock Singer...Who did you wanna be?

duke007

I remember as a 11 year old kid back in 1972 wanting to be Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music, thought he was as cool as fook  B) 

So the question is guys, which singer would you have swapped shoes with?

(Brian Eno is as mad as cheese in this first Vid  :biggrin: )

Bryan Ferry also did a cover of Jealous Guy by John Lennon which many including myself thought was better than the original, even a great friend of mine (R.I.P) who thought John Lennon was God and was an avid Beatles fan thought so

• Upvote 2

When I was 9 or 10 years of age The Battle of New Orleans was briefly the biggest & most controversial hit on Australian radio (he sang the word "bloody" for heaven's sake - which the stations, due to public outcry, very quickly had to begin to BLEEP out) & I remember thinking  it would be cool to be a star like Johnnie Horton. This was sometime like 1957 or 1958 or so.

I even made myself a kind of musical instrument using a school ruler, 4 rubber bands & a used matchbox. Alas, with no sounding board or frets it only made a monotonous rubber bandy kind of dull twang, nothing like notes or chords, but let me briefly pretend it to be a guitar.

I then flirted briefly with the songs & gyrations of the young generation of Elvis-imitators (or Elvis-influenced) like Bobby Rydell and Fabian. However, I soon learned I couldn't sing, stuck to only ever singing in private when no-one could make harsh judgments on my lack of ability, and thereafter gave up all ideas of being a musical beast.

• Upvote 1

Jeeeezus, Duke... I grew up wanting to be Bryan Ferry too... Saw Roxy Music three time when I was a teen & even modeled myself on Ferry through till my early twenties, going to Anthony Price (Roxy's designer) for many of my clothes... Even had a Byan Ferry hair cut (it was a known term, them days) (and yes, I even had great hair them days too)5555

I've even sat in on many Eno seminars at Medway Art College where he does talks for free, or at least he used to.

And did you know that in recent times, Bryan Ferry has even been Gucci's man of the year for three years running!

Anyway, Roxy was, to my mind, apart from King Crimson, had to be the most ahead band of that period anywhere on the planet, maybe a bit too avant garde & quirky to stand the test of time? But a truly inspirational band, that helped mold the styles & the sounds of the future to come... They were so underrated!

Funnily enough, Ferry's, Jealous Guy, is my second favorite version, next to Frankie Miller's (known for pop songs, but fuck, could he sing the blues)!... Anyway, I'd love to change places with him too!... Last I heard, still managing to get in punch ups with his audiences at gigs in pubs around North London, not bad for a bloke in his sixties.

• Upvote 1

Jeeeezus, Duke... I grew up wanting to be Bryan Ferry too... Saw Roxy Music three time when I was a teen & even modeled myself on Ferry, going to Anthony Price (Roxy's designer) for many of my clothes... Even had a Byan Ferry hair cut (it was a known term, them days) (and yes, I had great hair them days)5555

I've even sat in on many a Eno seminars at Medway Art College where he does talks for free, or at least he used to.

And did you know that in recent times, Bryan Ferry has even been Gucci's man of the year for three years running!

Anyway, Roxy was, to my mind, apart from King Crimson, were the most ahead of their time band of that period anywhere on the planet, maybe a bit too avant garde & quirky to stand the test of time? But a truly inspirational band, that helped mold the styles & the sounds of the future to come, all the same!... They were so underrated!

Funnily enough, Ferry's, Jealous Guy, is my second favorite version, next to Frankie Miller's (known for pop songs, but fuck, could he sing the blues)!... Anyway, I'd love to change places with him too!... Last I heard, still managing to get in punch ups with his audiences at gigs in pubs around North London, not bad for a bloke in his sixties.

Great post Luung and agree Roxy were ahead of their time and were a fabulous band  :happy0065: , I loved Bryan's attire too....one smooth bastard  :flirt2:

and still a smoothie who has just passed his 70th Birthday   B)

• Upvote 1

Gotta be Paul Weller or Steve Marriott the two coolest guys to walk this planet . 

Agree with you Paul Weller being a cool dude Jim and he is indeed a LEGEND  :party0030:

Just wondering Jim if you got some of your dance moves from Mr Weller  :biggrin:

The Jam 

The Style Council

Solo

Duets

Ive posted this elsewhere but I loved these songs with Paul, Amy and the Jools Holland band 

I used to know Bruce Foxton, Duke

Anyway... HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOT THIS BLOKE, I COULD HAVE CHANGED PLACES WITH LEMMY ANY DAY OF THE WEEK... Met him too, and he was most certainly no disappointment!

R.I.P. What a man... And what an arsehole of a way to start the new year

Can't paste at the mo