The Slum.......Philippines

duke007

I came across this documentary series about the Slums of Manila quite by accident last night whilst watching clips of cockpit views of landings and take-offs at Manila Airport on youtube.

I have probably flown over these slum sites or passed them on the motorway, having been to Manila four times myself and staying in a posh Hotel I find it both amazing and sad how these people live and how they just "get on with it" whilst a lot of us moan about trivial things in life.

Here are the first 3 episodes that I have watched already and I will post the rest as I watch later   :hi:

• Upvote 2

what is terrible and not possible to feel watching the documentary is the air that you breathe in those areas.....insalubrious.....visiting one of those once in Cebu with an artist for an art documentary....was feeling dizzy, with the sensation of fainting out anytime. since then never visited Philippines again

• Upvote 2

I just watched the first episode Mr. Duke. I don't think I am strong enough to do more. It was heart-breaking and gut wrenching. I found myself turning away from the screen a number of times. Don't know what I am feeling now. Shame, guilt, anger...???

Very sad existence for so many in our world of plenty. 

• Upvote 1

I just watched the first episode Mr. Duke. I don't think I am strong enough to do more. It was heart-breaking and gut wrenching.

I found myself turning away from the screen a number of times. Don't know what I am feeling now. Shame, guilt, anger...???

Very sad existence for so many in our world of plenty. 

You better not watch Episode 5 then Sam 

Im just watching episode 6 now,  all within 24 hours  :huh:

I mean the no birth control, add that to the typical have a big family thing, ya know?

This film shows what NO family planning gets you.

Thankfully Im safe with my Filipino girlfriend, if I ever did get her pregnant then it would indeed be a miracle  :biggrin:

This is a sad commentary on how the poor are forgotten/left behind in society. The Philippines are not unique in this - other countries also have significant poor populations, India, Brazil, Venezuela, USA, China, etc. They may not be as concentrated particular areas as the Philippines, the problems for the poor are universal. The solutions are not.

• Upvote 1

I gave my gf the link to first episode, and she said this was just a area in a big city, the rest of phillpines is very beautiful, so don't stop visiting just for this.

if we compare this slum to calcutta, or other places, will we never want to visit places, cause we feel guilty, anger, or worse iggorant

yeah, if they used birth control and the poor population went down, where would the fat cats get their cheap labor? But still, I'd love to see that happen so that the lower numbers would become smaller slums and maybe less hunger, better nutrition, and minds that might actually be able to learn. But there is not so much to do during ones waking hours in a place like that I'm guessing. Fuck, fight, huff gas, etc.a very small cycle, day after day.

oh and Dave, if she DOES get preggers, MAN are you two gonna make the big money! Talk show ciruits alone :)

do keep us posted

Puts you right off thinking shall i try the Philippines next.

i dare say there isn't a country on this planet that doesn't have it's share of shame, deep pockets of poverty and unforgivable neglect.

to single out the philippines--and to deny yourself the opportunity to visit such a (mostly) beautiful and (mostly) friendly place would be cutting off your nose to spite your face -- and it would do those who are suffering no good at all.

the fact is-- imho -- about the best we very fortunate travelers can do in the face of such grotesque sadness is the same thing we were asked to do after the tsunami destroyed phuket--go, visit, spend our money.

and, as a wise old man taught me years ago -- whenever possible, over-tip.

• Upvote 1

Puts you right off thinking shall i try the Philippines next.

doesn't me, I will be back in November   :biggrin:

to single out the philippines--and to deny yourself the opportunity to visit such a (mostly) beautiful and (mostly) friendly place would be cutting off your nose to spite your face -- and it would do those who are suffering no good at all.

well said mon ami  :drinks:

@Duke007

First of all thankx for the very informative but at the same time very very sad video of how the poor live there in the phillippines....

Most will never see these slums if they dont get out of there hotel and go driving around , so these video is a good add to show the other side of the medal......

Scrolling around on youtube i found this other video , which shows that a solution to this fillippino probleem and mind set will not come anytime soon........

Greetz , Stealth

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pretty good article about wealth disparity in the Philippines.  Includes a breakdown of where the middle class is concentrated.

Income inequalities are very prevalent in the country, i.e. there are gross disparities in incomes among different income classes. What the profile of OFW families suggests is that the increasing wealth of our taipans and our economic growth is being built by the toil and sweat of people at the middle and lower income classes.

Isn’t it time for our billionaires to become more responsible and ensure shared prosperity, or at least give back a bit of those profits to families of OFWs who have built these fortunes?

A research paper by Dabla-Norris et al. released by the International Monetary Fund shows that an increase in the income share of the poor and the middle class is associated with higher economic growth, ceteris paribus.

In contrast, economic growth deteriorates when the income share of the rich increases. Isn’t it time we seriously address income inequalities? Sister Stella L. once said “kung di ngayon, kailan pa?” 

http://www.rappler.com/thought-leaders/98624-who-are-middle-class