Bye bye, Dave

seven

Sniff sniff.  I can still remember  when I saw The Late Night in the 80s  in USA for the first time. I had never seen anything like it. He changed television as I knew it.  Tonight the champ takes farewell.

Thanks for everything, Dave!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/david-letterman-happy-at-last-20150513

Final artist on Late Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_djZiswcrQ

post-342-0-40898800-1432157057_thumb.jpg

It was shown a lot here in the early to mid 90s and I used to really enjoy it particularly after coming home on a warm summer's night.  Not sure why it disappeared on this side of the pond, perhaps it got transferred to one of the more obscure channels that were popping up from around 1995 onwards.

Dave is certainly original and his show in the early 80's was incredible and must-see TV.  I am old enough to remember Johnny Carson and IMO he was the best ever, but Dave was easily 2nd; fuck Leno.

By the way, he has one more artist on his last show [tonight], and it's the Foo Fighters, or as Dave calls 'em, The Fighters of Foo. They are keeping the guests a closely-guarded secret but they have released the first minute already, see below.

I'll be watching tonight for sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5XZunwreYo

• Upvote 1

On Wednesday afternoon, Variety reported that Steve Martin, Jim Carrey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Tina Fey and Barbara Walters were seen entering the Ed Sullivan Theater, and that Chris Rock and Peyton Manning would be on hand for the final taping.

Bloody Hell, was only watching a few Dave interviews with Ray Ramano last night on youtube and I have watched many many other of his interviews in the past

Apart from finding that bald guy in the band annoying the shows were quite entertaining

:drinks:

• Upvote 1

Apart from finding that bald guy in the band annoying the shows were quite entertaining

Thing is, that's his role; if there was a cool guy in that seat the show wouldn't work as well.

He's the Ed McMahon of the Letterman era.

I have enjoyed watching Letterman on and off over the years but was never an avid viewer. Probably a good time for Dave to retire because it seemed at times that he was bored in interviews, which I can totally understand when interviewing celebrities on the promotional trail it must be tedious at times, especially after so long. I did like the fact that he didn't pander to celebrities and I still remember the hilarious interview he did with Paris Hilton when he kept ask about her jail time. I can't see Jimmy Fallon ever doing an interview like that.

The best was when he interviewed comedians like Ricky Gervais and Louis Ck.

• Upvote 1

Probably a good time for Dave to retire

Agreed it was  the perfect time for him to retire......he is currently number 3 behind Fallon and Kimmel, and that wasn't going to improve anytime soon; it's a young man's game. Dave is 68 and still young enough to go out and enjoy his life and spend more time with his young son, good for him.

Last night was pretty good, not fantastic but good....and I enjoyed seeing all those celebs doing the Top 10 list.

Happy retirement, Dave!

Jaisus Seven, what time does it come on 'Live' there, like 530am?

We had all kinds of different times slots over the years. They tried live, but no one was up at 5:30 am of course. Sometimes i watched it live thru a VPN, sometimes on a TV-channel at 11:30 pm but  with 24 hours delay.

Going to miss Dave. Over the past 33 years, it's hard to think of someone I've spent more time with.

Heh, never thought of it like that.

It's gotta be either him or......Alexxxxxx Trebek!!

Or, if you include the re-runs, Jerry Seinfeld.

• 2 weeks later...

I will try it - but while I know the Colbert Report was a pure act, it still got annoying after a while.

I am hoping as himself his new show will be better, but man he has an uphill climb against Fallon and Kimmel, especially after the show takes 5 months off!

• 1 month later...

Phew!

Had me really startled, I thought this thread was some sort of farewell for Dave Duke! He happened to be the last poster in the thread when i saw it, and I feared that he was leaving the brethren for some reason.

Good to see it's just that Letterman fellow that we're bidding adieu.

Phew!

Had me really startled, I thought this thread was some sort of farewell for Dave Duke! He happened to be the last poster in the thread when i saw it, and I feared that he was leaving the brethren for some reason.

Good to see it's just that Letterman fellow that we're bidding adieu.

Alas DT this forum is kinda like the Hotel California

"You can check-out any time you like,

But you can never leave!"

:biggrin: