Favorite Beaches

Pdoggg

What are your favorite beaches anywhere in the world?

Below is a list of the top 10 beaches in Thailand as rated by Trip Advisor reviewers.   These reviewers are often one off travelers and probably don't have as good a basis for comparison as sex tourists who check out many locations.  Though I guess many mongers don't make it past Sodom By The Sea/

Here's their list as a starting point for discussion.  One of my favorite beaches is the undeveloped eastern end of Fire Island not too far from New York City.

• Nai Harn Beach, Phuket
  • Railay Beach, Krabi
  • Kata Noi Beach, Phuket
  • Phra Nang Beach, Krabi
  • Sunrise Beach, Satun
  • Thong Nai Pan Noi, Koh Phangan
  • Karon Beach, Phuket
  • Freedom Beach, Phuket
  • Long Beach, Krabi
  • Laem Tong Bay, Krabi

i am seriously considering Colombia as my next destination...will probably pass on thailand this time. Baranquilla & Santa Marta ( in theTayrona National Park )  have  wonderful beaches with bargain prices...not so crowded and relaxed atmosphere....not so much action but finding a good company in Bogotà would move there a few days....( been told by colombians to avoid cartagena as plague....inflated prices )

post-6926-0-41329600-1427683344_thumb.jp

post-6926-0-41422600-1427683358_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

At risk of sounding parochial my favourite best beaches are in southern Queensland. Coolangatta, the most southerly surf beach on the Gold Coast - abutting the NSW border - is the most fabulous beach I have ever set foot on.

How I would love to help organise a game of LB volleyball there. Boy if it's anything like the days of my youth, heads would spin and mouths gape. Still, probably much more sophisticated place now than back then.

Anyhow, superb beaches in that part of the world.

• Upvote 1

Good pick Mr. Ken.

I've been to Coolangatta twice in my life. It's one helluva terrific beach for sure. I remember the sand was so scorching hot that for every step I took (barefoot) I had to throw a towel down in front of my feet to keep them from frying. I was like Dudley Moore walking on the beach in the movie "10" hahahaha. Great, great beach without a doubt. Gotta watch the stingers in the water though. They can give you quite a nasty sting and even be lethal. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

The backpackers and ravers like Had Rin beach.

There was a fire last night and the Reggae House burned to the ground.

A two-storey bar and restaurant, Reggae House, on Haad Rin beach in Phangan Island was burnt down in a midnight fire last night.

Several adjacent houses were also gutted in the two hour fire that broke out at 01.00 am Friday.

Nobody was injured or killed in the inferno that raged the popular bar to charred remains.

The house which was turned into a bar and restaurant was popular among Full Moon party tourists.

It was located at Village Group 6 in Tambon Ban Tai of Koh Phangan district.

Fire engines were rushed to the house when fire was spotted on the second floor.

But they could not put the fire out in time and was burnt to the ground in two hours.

Electrical short circuit was initially suspected to cause the fire.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/reggae-house-on-haad-rin-beach-gutted-into-ashes

That must have been relatively new, there was never a Reggae bar on Haad Rin when I lived over in Ban Tai.....but there was a well-known one on Haad Salad beach.

IMO the best beaches - amazingly, considering the influx of tourists the past 20 years or so - can be found on Phuket island. Surin, Kamala, Patong, Karon, Kata, Kata Noi, even little Laem Sing are all beautiful and all face west, getting maximum exposure until about 6:30 every night of the week. If you go about 10km north of Surin beach it's possible - or was possible, it's been a good 10 years since I went there regularly - to find a beach you could literally have all to yourself, not far from the Phuket airport.

I never found the beaches on Phangan all that exceptional except for maybe Thong Nai Pan.  Haad Yao was pretty nice too, I wasted many a day there doing absolutely nothing.

I have been privileged to visit many beaches in my day - California, Hawaii, Florida, Mexico, the Caribbean - After all I am the Kahuna...But by far my favorite is the seldom visited Lumahai Beach on the north shore of Kauai....Also affectionately referred to as the Nurses' Beach from its starring role in the film version of South Pacific.....I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair.......... You guys can wash the ladyboy out.....

I have only visited twice, it's kinda a trek to get to...and during both visits I sat all alone..............

Earl Derr Biggers wrote years ago, when you visit Hawaii at first you sit and think...After a while you just sit....

This is such a beach..............

post-80-0-67034300-1431723347_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-79965700-1431723365_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-37695600-1431723725_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Im not a big beach person as I much prefer the pool.  Years ago, I was at some totally deserted beach right outside of phuket.   That was cool.

The other beach i liked was in San Sebastian.  Right downtown they have a huge beach that is broken up into three samller beaches.  It was many years ago and I had some nice female company with me.  It was magic!!!