Is Scotland about to go it alone?

Stroker

The recent YouGov poll shows the lead for the no campaign at six points, down from 14 points in the middle of August and 22 points early last month. At the moment 42 per cent said yes to independence and 48 per cent said no, with others undecided.  So although still behind, it looks like the momentum is with the yes campaign with 2 weeks to go.  

So is the centuries old union between Scotland and England about to end and do you have any opinions on it?

From elsewhere

"The possibility of Scottish independence is finally sinking in, and the establishment is now running around like headless chickens. In addition to a new propaganda line of "dirty violent savage Scots can't be trusted to vote peacefully", they're now talking about delaying elections in the rump-UK if Scotland votes "yes":

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/03/calls-to-postpone-uk-general-election-scots-independence

David Cameron will face calls to take the unprecedented step in modern peacetime of postponing next year's UK general election by 12 months in the event of a vote for Scottish independence to avoid the prospect of a Labour government that would depend on Scottish MPs.

Amid warnings of a "constitutional meltdown" after a yes vote, which would place severe personal political pressure on the prime minister, a growing number of Tory MPs are saying they will call for legislation to be introduced to postpone the general election. It would be the first time since 1940, a year into the second world war, that a general election would have been postponed.

One member of the government said: "You would see very quickly after the referendum calls for a delay in the election. You simply could not have an election that would produce a Labour government supported by Scottish MPs if the Tories had a majority in the rest of the UK. So you would say: OK Alex Salmond wants to negotiate the break up by March 2016. So we will have a general election on the new Britain in May 2016."

There's a constitutional point here, in that the legitimacy of those Scottish MPs ends the day Scotland leaves the UK. But there's also a huge helping of partisanship, given away by the focus on the prospect of a Labour government, which taints the entire thing. And there are other obvious solutions: the next UK Parliament could dissolve early, rather than the current one sitting long. Or they could legislate so that all Scottish MPs were deprived of their seats when independence came into effect. It doesn't have to be a case of "vote 'no' or English democracy gets it".

Meanwhile, if you're wondering how it has come to this, the BBC's Andrew Little has a fascinating essay on the history of Scottish independence http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/2014/newsspec_8699/index.html and how the two nations have grown apart. The short version: its not Scotland which has changed, but London, and the Scots want out as a result."

So is the centuries old union between Scotland and England about to end and do you have any opinions on it?

I hope for a Yes majority but sadly all the bullying and misinformation from the establishment parties - Conservative and Labour will probably be enough for a slight majority for the No camp .

Then again warning people that the sky will fall in if they vote yes has had an adverse affect thus far .

The British Labour Party are shitting themselves because an independent Scotland will mean they will be unlikely to get elected in England again in the foreseeable as they have a large majority vote in Scotland ...... fuck em I say they have betrayed the working classes too long . 

I hope for a Yes majority but sadly all the bullying and misinformation from the establishment parties - Conservative and Labour will probably be enough for a slight majority for the No camp .

Then again warning people that the sky will fall in if they vote yes has had an adverse affect thus far .

The British Labour Party are shitting themselves because an independent Scotland will mean they will be unlikely to get elected in England again in the foreseeable as they have a large majority vote in Scotland ...... fuck em I say they have betrayed the working classes too long 

aint that the truth......

.i dunno which way i'd vote if i were scottish......my sense of history would vote yes,my common sense would vote no.......I don't trust that alex salmon fella,a proper snide career  politician type....not exactly a leader of men is he?....

.I don't trust that alex salmon fella,a proper snide career  politician type....not exactly a leader of men is he?....

I tend to agree and once you strip away the misty eyed Scottish Nationalism he hasn't a lot new to say nor has his party .

I would still support independence though .

Canada went through this with Quebec twice in 1980 and in 1995. The 1995 referendum was close, 51% to stay in Canada and 49% to become independent.

Now, almost 20 years later, the separatist party was soundly thrashed in the latest provincial election, as the Quebec citizens realized they had much more benefits staying in Canada than going it alone.

aint that the truth......

.i dunno which way i'd vote if i were scottish......my sense of history would vote yes,my common sense would vote no.......I don't trust that alex salmon fella,a proper snide career  politician type....not exactly a leader of men is he?....

This is not vote for Alex Salmond, or even for the SNP/Labour/whatever

This is a single issue referendum. If it is a YES, then there will be an election in 18 months where people get to vote for parties/politicians to run the country

By the time this is all finished the pound will be worth around 32 baht if it keeps dropping and we will all be a lot poorer

Personally i hope the Scots say NO...

I'm surprised that the market is reacting so negatively- but markets always hate uncertainty.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just an observer. The referendum does seem extremely close and it ain't over until the fat lady sings :)

what currency will they use .. Shirt buttons... Its all over now due to this one reason. It will be NO as the Scots are a bit , lets say Canny to be polite, and the currency issue will scare them to no end now that Osbornes made it clear they cannot have there cake and eat it

Robert Fisk

Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/scottish-independence-ireland-since-1919-is-a-lesson-for-scotland-in-what-a-yes-vote-means-9727596.html

The last divorce from the United Kingdom was painful and acrimonious, but ended in harmony and prosperity. So why should independence north of the border turn out any differently?

Scottish independence: Will it really TEAR the HEART from IT firms?

You keep the call centres, Hamish, we'll take the banks

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/11/scotland_votes/

By SA Mathieson, 11 Sep 2014

Scots may vote to leave the United Kingdom, ending a union lasting 307 years, on 18 September. Until a few weeks ago, the referendum on independence looked like an easy win for those wanting to stay in the union - or to use the parlance of the campaign, "no" voters.

But a surge in support has put those planning to vote "yes" to independence ahead in an opinion poll for the first time.

What does Scottish independence and the break-up of the United Kingdom mean to businesses, specifically those in and served by the sector you work in – tech? Some have been reluctant to express a view in public.