What's the story with.......facial tattoos in Pattaya?

bumblebee

While I know some of you guys here are partial to a bit of body art I doubt any of you would go the extremes of getting your face or head tattoed. Since I have been here in Pattaya I have seen about 10 guys with inked cheeks, foreheads etc. So what's the deal. Have they got enough money so they never have to work again or have they got a screw loose?

They are mentally ill & when they recover & want to resume their life, they will pay a fortune to have them removed. Or some of them will, others will continue thinking they look cool.

But they are anything but cool. They have placed themselves outside the boundaries of regular society. They don't realise they have because they were never in it, they will swear they never want to be in it but as the years pass & they can't find work & they get shunned by those who look down on them, some of them will wish they could at least be treated with something other than scorn & contempt.

• Upvote 2

But lets face it as many cool people as you meet in LOS it does seem to attract more than its fair share of misfits, oddballs and lost souls (kind of like India does )....I may even be one myself

I think most of us, one way or another, are lost souls when it comes to a normal relationships. Whether we think that is good or bad. 

I have no body art at all. I grew up in a generation where it wasn't popular. I've adapted to body art after spending so much time in Thailand with tattooed lasses and it's current popularity here in the US and most everywhere else. But the face is a bridge too far.

Body art seems to be somewhat popular with older guys my age. Trying to look young/cool I see older guy getting sleeves, etc. But certainly not unusualy to see older guys in Pattaya doing whatever they think makes them seem younger. I had a pony tail until about five years ago. I finally let go of my perceived coolness of that because if was too damn hot hanging on my neck.   

• Upvote 2

Tattoo's have become very popular over the last decade or so pretty much every pop star or so called "celebrity" has one now days .

But like any style there are good ones and bad ones and parts of the body that look OK tattooed and parts that don't .

Personally I think it looks stupid to have your hands , neck or face tattooed at all .

In my city there seems to be a current craze for women in particular to have someones name tattooed on their neck , lots of flowers or stars tattooed on their feet or some pointless Latin phrase tattooed across their arms, chest or back - all pretty crass in my book but as long as they like em' that's all that matters 

I have quite a few tattoo's but none are visible , that's my choice other people might think they look cool to show them off in a place more visible 

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

I have definetely never seen as many older/old guys with ear rings ; bad hair-dye jobs and balding heads with pony-tails as in Pattaya

The bad hair dye seems to be more prevalent with Beach Road guys than anywhere else around town. Also noticed 4 or 5 new guys with facial tattoos. Never notice that in other parts of Thailand.

I have definetely never seen as many older/old guys with ear rings ; bad hair-dye jobs and balding heads with pony-tails as in Pattaya

I was a balding guy with a long pony tail long before I went to Pattaya and for most of my working life. I finally got rid of it because it was just too hot on my neck in SE Asia. Back in the ole USA there were actually a fair amount of ladies near my age, or a bit younger, that loved my pony tail.

The bad hair dye seems to be more prevalent with Beach Road guys than anywhere else around town. Also noticed 4 or 5 new guys with facial tattoos. Never notice that in other parts of Thailand.

I was getting my hair cut in a shop in Pattaya long ago and there was a guy getting a dye job. It all looked pretty silly to me but then despite my thinning hair it still isn't gray at 60. Well at least not on my head.

Pattaya is a human zoo where the animals can roam free.

• Upvote 1

Guest JustSumGai

for me tattoos are stupid. Tho I understand em for like military or navy. Ain't seen a heart with MOM on it tho.  This whole era of peacocks puts me off. Before this I could make believe everyone was kinda normal and ok, Now I can't avoid seeing I'm surrounded by NUTTERS. The ones with the metal really make me shake my head. Even worse, the ones that have stuff stuck under there skin. Bumps. Hail fahr, all that stuff costs BIG money. Paying big bucks to announce to the world that you are some kinda special. Lemmings. I may be in a very small minority, but I like that I guess.  Had an ear stud for about 3 weeks back in 74. 

One good thing tho...with all these carnival freaks runnin around don't no one notice me and I can mostly go about my own business undisturbed. Plus ya see em and can cross the street. Or avoid whole areas 8P

• Upvote 1

ive got no tattooes myself.....and i'm too old to have one done now,i think they look particularly naff on old blokes like me( fresh tattooes that is).....Ive seen a few i kinda like,tastefull and artistic imo,one i saw recently i really liked, a young woman had tattooed on her inner forearm  " be kind to yourself!".....sort of a memo...i liked it... 

• Upvote 1

Perhaps Pattaya's most well know tattooed gentleman hits out at locals' efforts to clean up the city.

post-3403-0-12766300-1414221936_thumb.jp

Tim "Sharky" Ward boasts he pays to have sex with many Thai women.

The muscle-bound and tattooed former Australian loan shark and nightclub owner says his life is "there for all see" and he is not ashamed of it.

"I am a single man. There's no one in my life who can say I am an embarrassment to them," he said.......

http://www.smh.com.au/world/tattooed-entrepreneur-scoffs-at-thai-crackdown-on-sex-tourism-20141024-11b29w.html

From your link

"I would love to see more world water sports"

The mind boggles, with more than one meaning, but who the hell would want to swim in that sewer water? Sharky staes it quite clearly

"Look out there . . . it's [polluted with] sewage. Who is going to sit on the beach all day and swim in that?" he says, pointing to Pattaya's waterfront. "Without the sex industry, what else would people do here?"

Quite; As usual the "authorities" are dreaming $3Billion + going into the economy, there is going to be a LOT of unemployment.

"Under the plan, tourists would be enticed away from Thailand's popular destinations of Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Phuket and Hua Hin, all of which have thriving sex industries, to other provinces."

Surely this will just mean the sex industry will move to these "other provinces"

"I can count the number of rats I've encountered in the city on one hand".

Define "rats"

• Upvote 1

tattoos,

No thanks. Im setting this outrageous new trend. Im not sure what to call it but it consists of un-inked (if such a word exists) skin.I mean no celtic symbols, tramp stamps, barbed wire, ex girlfriends names, sleeves or ink induced vandalism on my body anywhere. I know this crazy new trend is unlikely to catch on anytime soon but I enjoy bucking the trend & standing out from the crowd. One upon a time a tattoo was a statement of your individuality now it only alludes to your conformity. Make interesting viewing in your 60's & 70's....haha!

Truly I could not care less & each to their own but now when even the meekest of girls can probably has a half dozen tattoo's I think they have kind of lost whatever mystique they may never ever have had.

Was in Cambodia recently & noticed 2 things that I really appreciated. Firstly un-inked girls & some grass on the pitch (ie, a trim but not total hair removal) making them look like adults instead of....I will leave that up to you? Just my take. 

• Upvote 3

I had a political symbol on my shoulder made in London when i was 17. Its been gone for decades  now, but as i'm getting old i kinda regret taking it off. Otoh, a trampstamp above the crack on women does not look cool at 55.

Nowadays its rare you don't have a tattoo. Look at any UFC or MMA  show, everyone is tattooed.

• 3 weeks later...