The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

Sounds right Khun Lefty!

I knew it wasn't Vegas or Reno so guessed Carson City; just couldn't think og Virginia City.

When it comes to Westerns you're the man!  :happy0065:

Interesting trivia about Virginia City NV I only learned in recent years, interesting to those curious about countercultures anyway. This  isolated small town on the other side of the Sierras in desolate, dry Nevada was arguably one of the birthplaces of the 60s psychedelic music & culture.

In early 1963 a small group of iconoclasts attended an all night native american peyote ceremony & began to adopt some of the spiritual ideas & dress of the indians. Later on some of them sponsored music events at the local Red Dog Saloon that Owsley Stanley supplied LSD & music was supplied at different times by The Warlocks (Grateful Dead), Great Society (Jefferson Airplane), Big Brother & others inc. the Charlatans (Dan Hicks) who's style of dressing like old west characters caught on with the "hippies" as they would become known as.  "At the Red Dog Saloon, The Charlatans were the first psychedelic rock band to play live (albeit unintentionally) loaded on LSD." (wiki)   

The dances apparently also had the first light shows & psychedelic posters. 

I visited there a couple of years ago when I was in Reno & it is really out of the way, I can imagine how out of the way it must've been 50 years ago. I believe there may be a tape or 2 floating around of 1 or more of the musical "performances", but I think they were more group "happenings".

• Upvote 3

Interesting trivia about Virginia City NV I only learned in recent years, interesting to those curious about countercultures anyway. This  isolated small town on the other side of the Sierras in desolate, dry Nevada was arguably one of the birthplaces of the 60s psychedelic music & culture.

In early 1963 a small group of iconoclasts attended an all night native american peyote ceremony & began to adopt some of the spiritual ideas & dress of the indians. Later on some of them sponsored music events at the local Red Dog Saloon that Owsley Stanley supplied LSD & music was supplied at different times by The Warlocks (Grateful Dead), Great Society (Jefferson Airplane), Big Brother & others inc. the Charlatans (Dan Hicks) who's style of dressing like old west characters caught on with the "hippies" as they would become known as.  "At the Red Dog Saloon, The Charlatans were the first psychedelic rock band to play live (albeit unintentionally) loaded on LSD." (wiki)   

The dances apparently also had the first light shows & psychedelic posters. 

I visited there a couple of years ago when I was in Reno & it is really out of the way, I can imagine how out of the way it must've been 50 years ago. I believe there may be a tape or 2 floating around of 1 or more of the musical "performances", but I think they were more group "happenings".

That is the last time I was there, about 50 yrs ago. Family vacation. We were usually on a budget, so no fancy hotels for us. My dad found a place a few miles out of town on a barren ridge to pitch the tent. Then we went into town, and since due to the historical aspects of the city, kids with their parents were allowed in the saloons, bars, etc. My dad took a liking to a saloon called the Golden Nugget, and while he polished off several scotch and sodas, I got to sit there at the bar and eat a hot dog and drink a 7up. About 10pm it was good and dark outside, and dear old dad was three sheets to the wind. Then we drove back to our camp site and in his drunken condition had trouble finding it. We drove around until about midnight before he located the ridge where we set up camp. We went into the tent and crawled into our sleeping bags, but it was very windy that night and the tent was staked down well along the sides so the wind blew right through the tent all night. The next morning we better secured the side walls, and went back to town, but my dad stayed sober that day so finding the camp site was no problem the next night. 

• Upvote 2

Ireland's first Olympic gold medal was won at the 1924 Olympics in Paris.

Who won that medal and in which event?  And, for a bonus point, who was his rather more famous brother?

Read this while waiting in the airport the other day.  Jack B Yeats, brother of William and it was in painting believe it or not.

Ireland's first Olympic gold medal was won at the 1924 Olympics in Paris.

Who won that medal, and in which event?  And, for a bonus point, who was his rather more famous brother?

Read this while waiting in the airport the other day.  Jack B Yeats, brother of William and it was in painting believe it or not.

great question 67...love it....well done bb,thats a new one on me.....Irelands greatest ever athlete never represented ireland,but USA....google martin sheridan...he won something like 7 olympic medals....and painting wasnt one of them...

Name the only North American sports franchise which has collected 1 title for every 4 years of their existence, a record.

Not even guessing means u can't get it right, so I'll say the Montreal Canadiens.   :nhl::hocky:

Back in the days when the NHL had only 6 teams it wasn't too hard to win a Stanley Cup every four years so maybe they have enough of a headstart to have won 25%, doubt it though.

Re: the size of Wales.  Back in the days of empire, the way they explained the size of the colonies to the general population of Britian was to use multiples of the size of Wales, an area they could comprehend.

interesting bb,i never knew that...i'm forever being told on british tv that an area the size of wales is being lost to illegal loging every day....what do they say in other countries i wonder?