Sort of math problem for PDogg and the other savants

Lefty

My eyes & brain first hit on 16.

But I can see the 5n-1 rule too; implies 14.

Jai Dee's method for an answer of 14 breaks logic demands, as we have no rule that says RHS must add 5 each time, only a precedent that it happened once. It could as well be RHS 5 first time, 6 second time, etc. Or indeed any other number second time, such as 7, giving 16.

But another way to get 14 as answer is to take the LHS literally as sums, and consider how we get RHS answer.

So three RHSs are 22 - 18 = 4; 24 - 15 = 9; so 26 - 12 must be 14. But this has the same flaw as Jai Dee's of assuming a consistent subtraction pattern 18, 15, 12 based on only the first one.

I don't know. I think this is one of those puzzles that has no definite answer given the info we've been provided. Various answers possible.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

I tried using the Wolfram Computational Knowledge Engine and it gave " false". For abstract problem s maybe you have to phrase them correctly...anyone with a few hours  on their hands can go the help page

Actually the Engine is very helpfull if you need it. Its mainly for scientific use but you can ask it " what is the distance from milan to shanghai" for example or anything you like " what is the mass of the earth times the mass of the sun"

What a handy site TC. I was only thinking this morning: "I wish I knew the mass of the earth multiplied by the mass of the sun".      :flirt2:

As to the question at hand, I go with 16. Any other answer requires a more detailed question. If we are allowed to surmise unknown factors we can come up with a whole range of numbers for the answer.