Moving To Thailand?

pdogg

:

+1 from me perfect response ,I do the same, I find most of these Shaven headed, Fat, vest wearing wankers ,seem to populate all these skanky little pseudo English eatery's off Soi Bukaew ,that serve up grease laden gruel for the masses, one morning around 530am on my last trip I was in need of such shite to line my drunken guts and so visited a place aptly named Crazy Daves, which was run by a scabby old fucker in a vest and an equally scabby old bird, I had the temerity to take a LB with me , you should have seen the tossers looking at her like she was a alien.

BTW the English Brekkie was fucking awful, like a transport cafe of old.

Ahh Crazy Dave's,

I used to eat quite often at Crazy Dave's a few years ago usually indulging in the "FAT BASTARD" breakkie's there.

The Breakfasts were plentiful, very good and great value for money imho.

However, this was during the daytime and cooked by very clean looking Thai women.

My LB g/f (who was always came with me) used to order her Thai Food there and they then brought it in from other establishments.

I only ventured in there only once during the night and have to agree with you Hound that the owner is one Scabby looking fucker :lol:

Theres only so much "Only Fool's and Horse's" you can take and one place I wouldnt use as a drinking hole.

Thanks for all the great info Roscoe and everyone.

I struggle with the idea of giving up my well-paying position here in Spokane and chucking it all to live in LOS, even if only for 1/2 of the year. The job I have is not something that would transition or translate well to another company or another city, so if I leave the job, that income is pretty much gone for good.

Having reached middle age (50) this past year, I find I'm obviously seeing the rest of my years as a glass half empty as I recognize that it's all downhill from here in terms of health, mental acuity, etc. And as a friend reminds me, very few are heard on their deathbed exclaiming "If only I'd earned another $100,000!"

It is so difficult to think outside of this western mind-set, which for now I'll refer to as Attainment Mind. We are bombarded with images and messages, some subtle some brazen, telling us how the path to happiness is through attainment. Breaking out of that and living with "enough" (would that be "subsistence mind"???) is hard. The best analogy I can come up with is that it is like trying to break your toilet training and be comfortable taking a dump on the floor in front of a room full of people.

This thread could be a great aid. I hope we can all get along so that this thread can become that.

:

I used to eat quite often at Crazy Dave's a few years ago usually indulging in the "FAT BASTARD" breakkie's there.

Sooooo last year Dave .

All the guys take a nice bowl of porridge with a sprinkling of blueberries in the morning now days followed by a 10 KM run to Jontiem and back followed by a ladyboy protein shake .

Sooooo last year Dave .

All the guys take a nice bowl of porridge with a sprinkling of blueberries in the morning now days followed by a 10 KM run to Jontiem and back followed by a ladyboy protein shake .

Probaly the reason Im still a Fat fucker then Jim :( but at least I dont wear a vest :lol:

The plus side is that Ive still enjoyed my fair share of ladyboy protein shake in my time :rolleyes:

Yummy Yummy Yummy :D

I've just started jogging again in preparation for my rapidly advancing years. Figure if I can get into shape now and try to stay in shape, it will make the aging process that much more graceful.

The real impetus is that I want to still be able to walk down Beach Road from one end to the other when I'm 75.

There has been some interesting discussion cocerning how much a person needs to live comfortably here in Pattaya (I cannot speak for more rural areas).

Thai Immigration require a foreigner to have either 65,000 Baht per mobth income (Pension) endorsed by their own Consulate or 800,000 Baht in the bank.

They are not that far off what is required in my own humble opinion.

Thai Immigration require a foreigner to have either 65,000 Baht per mobth income (Pension) endorsed by their own Consulate or 800,000 Baht in the bank.

They are not that far off what is required in my own humble opinion.

So, this would currently be about $2,133 per month in verified pension income, or $26,250 in the bank.

So, this would currently be about $2,133 per month in verified pension income, or $26,250 in the bank.

You can also mix and match. For example, 400K in a Thai bank and 32,500 baht a month in pension income.

Good rule of thumb. I live on less but some guys will want to spend more.

Some guys may own a condo; then they won't have rent expense. Some guys are quite happy in a 5K a month room.

But Thailand can really suit all budgets.

You are starting to worry me Terence, what really went on between yourself, Lefty and Sam in the Corner Bar? :D

Thank you for keeping me out of it Dave. I was there, but I'm not talking. My therapist says that only makes me "re-experience" it and then the sleepless nights start all over again.

BigTel,

Check out Seiko model # SKA427P1. It is a kinetic and I am ordering it from the shop on the corner of Pattaya Klang and Soi Buckaroo next month. They told me they can get it within a few days and will sell it for 7,900baht.

Let me know what you think.

SiamSam

You are starting to worry me Terence, what really went on between yourself, Lefty and Sam in the Corner Bar? :D

I want to tell you Dave but I might then be accused of kiss & Tel :acute:

• 1 month later...

I talked to a General Director of a major SEAsian removalist company, Asian Tigers, an American bloke, about moving to Thailand. The quote I initially sought from him was to put my stuff in storage (no problem there as they have a major storage warehouse here in Saigon) prior to a move to who knows where. Most likely Thailand, but no certainty.

He told me the move was easy as Thailand is their major destination in the region. But, the issue was to clear my stuff out of the BKK port and through customs I would need a work permit.

For an old fart without any visible means of support, much less some company arranging me a work permit, this appears to mean such a move (with stuff) is not viable. That is, I go as a tourist or not at all. I can't believe you guys who live in Thailand all have work permits. Or am I wrong?

Any FMs got experience in this area with any helpful comments?

I can't believe you guys who live in Thailand all have work permits. Or am I wrong?

Any FMs got experience in this area with any helpful comments?

Ken, Those 50+ can get retirement visas. You need either 800K baht in a Thai Bank or retirement income of 2,300 baht a month.

Thai immigration requires a letter that's notarized at the applicant's embassy stating that one has the 2300 baht. Some countries embassies actually look at one's supporting documentation while other countries simply notarize your statement.

I would imagine, but don't know for a fact, that someone with a retirement visa can receive goods at the dock. I would also hazzard a guess that whether on a work visa or retirement visa there would be a duty levied which might in some cases exceed the value of certain goods.

I didn't bring "stuff" over. It feels good that I'm now(almost)clutter free.

Ken, Those 50+ can get retirement visas. You need either 800K baht in a Thai Bank or retirement income of 2,300 baht a month.

Thai immigration requires a letter that's notarized at the applicant's embassy stating that one has the 2300 baht.

PD are you sure that figure of 2300 Baht is correct, seems very very low. :)

Big Brother The State intrudes into people's private business.

VN, which is about the most foreigner unfriendly State you could find in the region, goes nowhere near that sort of behaviour. In the 7+ years I've lived here I've never been asked about income or set any money conditions at all. Fancy the Thais making the VNese look user friendly. Goodness.

Change it to Land of Scowls. Looks like I'll be searching for somewhere else to live.

I talked to a General Director of a major SEAsian removalist company, Asian Tigers, an American bloke, about moving to Thailand.

He told me the move was easy as Thailand is their major destination in the region. But, the issue was to clear my stuff out of the BKK port and through customs I would need a work permit.

Ken, no experience in this area, but plenty with this type of 'human two legged shit' that likes to twist your arm up your back to arrange an unnecessary & expensive visa for you!

That was the opening gambit mate, his next move would probably have been to tell you that an asssociate can do you a really big favour & arrange a visa for you, 'at a price'.

He's talking complete & utter, pure, unadulterated dog shite Ken, stay away from him!

800,000.00 baht ain't really a lot of money & if you put the 800,000.00 baht aside & just leave it in the bank for the required 3 month period, then a retirement visa will actually work out to be the cheapest visa that you can get.

I'm thinking about Lao more & more myself nowdays, better attitude, far superior beer & generally a far better all round feel about the whole place... And it's absolutely crawling with fuckin' LB's too.

The Thai's are a changing & they're changing fast!.. But unfortunately there ain't much of it that's to my liking! :hi:

Hitting Patts tomorrow if anyone fancies meeting up for a drink or maybe just to call me a prick!.. It's all the same to me :)