Transgender New York Christopher Street

pdogg

http://www.nytimes.c...dit_th_20120725

July 24, 2012

For Money or Just to Strut, Living Out Loud on a Transgender Stage

By SARAH MASLIN NIR

There are two Christopher Streets in the West Village. One is the precious scene of overpriced coffee and its drinkers, of designer shops and map-clutching tourists. Then there is the one that appears every summer: Christopher Street after nightfall.

So said Desire, a 20-year-old transgender woman, as she stood in a doorwell on Christopher just before midnight on a recent Thursday. Threading a comb through her long hair, she talked about the nocturnal version as scores of her friends strutted past in the dark, stopping often to air kiss, catcall or sometimes brawl. This second street belongs to Desire and her peers, who congregate here from across the region to promenade the night away on the city’s transgender runway.

The women, who refer to themselves as T-girls and go by colorful pseudonyms, take to Christopher Street each night for many reasons. Many are working as prostitutes, said Star, 22, clad in a skintight candy-striped dress, as she leaned against a prewar apartment building where some studios rent for $3,700 a month.

“Some of them come here for fun, some of them come down to make their money,” she said. “I’m not going to sugarcoat it.”

But here in New York City’s historic gay corridor, blocks from the Stonewall Inn — the site of the country’s first gay rights uprising in 1969 and the same place where thousands spontaneously converged last June to celebrate the legalization of same-sex marriage in New York State — reducing the scene to one of vice is to get only part of the picture.

“There are Little Italys everywhere in the world, there are little Chinatowns everywhere in the world,” said Mariah Lopez, 27, a transgender-rights activist who is ubiquitous after dark on Christopher. “This is the only place that we can specifically lay claim to for historical reasons.”

While some of the T-girls live as women, others do so only here, fleeing for a time their homes in, say, the South Bronx or in New Jersey, where it may be too dangerous to be publicly transgender, they explain. For them, Desire said, “it’s like: ‘Oh my God, I can be gay? Out here in the street? And we can kiss and hug?’ ”

When Bianka Van Kartier, who lives in New Jersey but is originally from St. Thomas, V.I., visited the street four years ago, it changed her life, she said. She became a fixture.

“I was just mesmerized by the freedom to be gay and to just live out loud,” she said. “I came the following day, and I stayed for hours.” This fall, she said, she plans to compete in a pageant for the title of Ms. Gay Caribbean. “I was so blown away,” she said. “I’m from the Caribbean — you have to hide.”

In platform thigh-high boots, buttocks-revealing denim shorts, red-pleather boleros with matching caps and tops of the backless, sleeveless or even frontless variety, those on the nightly parade here do anything but hide. They compete for best outfit, and for best moves in the nightly dance battles that rage beside the Hudson River to the sound of a boombox on the pier at the end of the street. The night is spent flitting from street corner to late-night pizza shop, brightly colored like flocks of exotic — if risqué — parakeets, sometimes herded along by silently flashing police patrol cars that stalk the street.

But while the T-girls are often beautiful, none deny that most nights here are fraught with ugliness, borne of both of the trade many ply and the cliquish rivalries that spiral into violence. Many have had their hair ripped and skin slashed by a rival’s brightly painted nails. “We’re fighting over ‘he said-she said,’ ” Star said. “It’s crazy; it’s petty.”

George Karam, 50, who manages Rivoli Pizza near Christopher Street, a favorite after-hours hangout, said he had drinks thrown over him by unruly customers. “Every summer, I have a lot of problems,” Mr. Karam said.

There was a violent episode at a Dunkin’ Donuts on Christopher last year. The police place giant spotlights in the warm months at two ends of the street, to discourage crime.

Nevertheless, those who prowl Christopher defend the nightly ritual. “This is historically a unique community on the planet,” said Ms. Lopez, “where a subgroup of people in a specific city have it as theirs but don’t have an economic stake.”

“The reason you buy your $2 million condo is because it is the historical West Village, and the reason it is the historical West Village is because of us,” she continued, before being cut off. A passer-by on Christopher interjected to berate her for a past slight.

It was past midnight. The screaming fight lasted for blocks, all the way to the river and into the night.

Yeah people buy million dollar condos because violent tranny hookers are plying their trades in the hood-YEAH RIGHT!!!

Hey, Ol Arch has nothing against tranny hookers (or any hookers for that matter) but get over your fucking self!!

Thats why we should ahve Red Light areas!!!!

WHOOP DEE DOO!!

The Chrisopher Street "girls" are pretty rough trade, ok if you are into street life quickies & lost souls, but probably not for most of us.

It is worth noting however the modern gay rights movement started with the Christopher St. queens in 68, or 69, when they fought back against the cops who were making their usual gay arrest quota & were overwhelmed by them for days.... only to be banned by the Gay rights parade they inspired a couple of years later for having the "wrong image" .

• 8 months later...

Finally,

An actual place to specifically go to checkout the T-girl street scene in the US!

Thank you Mr George Karam, of Rivoli's Pizza on Christopher Street...known T-Girl hangout! I tend do avoid Chistopher Street when in NYC, just because it's mostly gay culture. I have nothing against our gay cousins, but i never really expected to find T-girls, in quantity, there.

$3700 per month rent in the Village. I'll bet these girls are not LOS-style affordable.

At any rate, i'll be heading over for a stroll and a look...and who knows what-else, in the near future.

Good post.

Finally,

An actual place to specifically go to checkout the T-girl street scene in the US!

Thank you Mr George Karam, of Rivoli's Pizza on Christopher Street...known T-Girl hangout! I tend do avoid Chistopher Street when in NYC, just because it's mostly gay culture. I have nothing against our gay cousins, but i never really expected to find T-girls, in quantity, there.

$3700 per month rent in the Village. I'll bet these girls are not LOS-style affordable.

At any rate, i'll be heading over for a stroll and a look...and who knows what-else, in the near future.

Good post.

Forgot to add this:

T-Girls!

...sorry guys! I was trying to upload a google map screenshot of the location of the T-Girls mentioned in the article. Not sure what happened!

Is there a way to edit posts? I hate to keep wasting forum space and member-time with corrections.

There sure is Nix.  Just move your cursor to the left of the MuitiQuote button at the bottom of the post you want to work on, and other options appear such as Delete Edit etc.

Thanks Brother BB,

I am on my PC now. On my PC, I do find the emoticons :happy0065: , as well as the edit-button you mentioned. Interestingly, I get neither the emoticons or the edit button on my Ipad. :huh:  Only the text box....which is fine. So, i'll be logging onto the 'ol PC whenever i simply just MUST share an emoticon. :geek:

As always, thanks for your help amigo.

• 4 months later...

Any natives with current info  Saturday night 

Randi, I don't have current info but Ina's Saturday night parties might still be happening at Hamachi 34 East 20th St (between Park Avenue South and Broadway).

As I remember it opens at 11PM, cover charge is 5 bucks and drink prices are typical NYC prices.  Seems there are lots of regulars there, older crossdressers there to socialize with their friends and a smattering of semi pro younger Philippinas.  This is a very safe place with no rough trade.

This is old info Randi, so it could very well be closed now.  Saturday only. 

Ina's has been defunct for a few years now, pity it was a ok crowd with a good representation of asian girls.

There are "parties" that feature available, for an hour or so, girls most weeknights at several bars, heavy commercial atmosphere & NYC prices. Lots of loud hiphop music & silicone, not my scene, but there may be some decent girls here & there now & then. I haven't been in years, but the last time I did go I ended up with quite a nice looking & relatively sane Brazilian girl, Hungangels usually lists the current parties, just bring lots of cash & they don't start until after 12 - 1 am.

• Upvote 1

Here is a copy & paste of a newsletter that is crossdresser oriented here in NYC, there may be something worthwhile here if one is in the mood:

I'm posting because I get asked all the time what venues, clubs, or events in NYC are TG-specific, TG-safe, or TG-friendly.

Paradoxically, in as big a city as New York there are less "dedicated" places for someone trans to socialize. That's because many venues and parties now avoid "niche" events that might attract less guests. Venues would rather gather a huge crowd with cheap drink specials and no special or unique theme nights with interesting guestlists. 

Also, places change at the drop of a hat. Bars open and close overnight, venues change management and ownership all the time.

My advice is to take these listings with a grain of salt, not as gospel, and don't be offended if your favorite bar or night out isn't included!

Final caveat - I'm genderqueer, and I most align with the M2F experience. So while these selected parties and venues are filtered through that experience I know that most events listed here are friendly and inclusive of not only TG, but cis- and any "flavor" of gender identity!

The TG PARTIES YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW ABOUT:

• My Friends of Triangles parties each month are an hour's drive north of NYC, and if you are reading this then you may already know about them. If not, read the Official FAQ here = <a>http://j.mp/UWYNJP</a>

• AMANDA'S HIDE-A-WAY AT THE PL LOUNGE - Amanda Lay hosts a fun party every Saturday in HACKENSACK, NJ not far from Teterboro Airport. You can also change into/out of drag at the club, which is convenient.  More info at their Facebook page = <a>https://www.facebook.com/groups/140435772668909/</a>

• CLUB CHERIE NYC hosted by Sweetie - Sweetie was the hostess/organizer of the Eden Underground events in Brooklyn - and she's found a brand new venue in midtown Manhattan next door to Lucky Cheng's to host weekly TG events every Thursday and Friday night! The party is open to everyone and is a safe and drama-free venue to socialize. For more information check out their Opening Night event announcement here = https://www.facebook.com/events/465168650234229/

.......(EDIT)

TG PARTIES (with a caveat!):

There are several parties during the week on Sunday, Monday, Wednesdays, and Saturday nights that are TG - BE AWARE however, that these nights are often more expensive, with higher cover charges and go-go dancing or lap dances. 

So it's TG-specific at these parties, but the crowd and clientele is less mixed, and the nights overall can vary in attendance and are pricier. I've been a few times because I know some of the promoters and the bartenders, but I don't go as regularly as other places. 

If you do attend these following events, be hypervigilant of your surroundings! 

• MUG LOUNGE NYC - this is a newer TG night that is held every Monday and Wednesday in the East Village (the bar is on East 13th Street near Avenue A). 

Sandy's Facebook page (the hostess) is here. She posts her events weekly on her FB page = <a>https://www.facebook.com/sandymichellenychk</a>

• TRANNY STRIP NYC - This is another mostly "professional" TG party, with high covers, TS strippers and lap dancers, and a mostly "working" crowd. Parties are Friday and Sunday nights. More info is = <a>http://www.trannystrip.com/</a>

• Upvote 2