Who are your 6 most favorite movie directors?

Lefty

I think about this topic a lot, and perhaps the list changes from time to time, but these days this is top half dozen...

1. The Coen Brothers

2. Sam Peckinpah

3. Clint Eastwood

4. Quentin Tarantino

5. Walter Hill

6. Oliver Stone

In no order, except that Stanley Kubrick is number one.

1) Stanley Kubrick

Quentin Tarantino

Ridley Scott ( but he lost some points with Promethesus )

James Cameron

Mel Brooks

Francis Ford Coppola

Oops..I forgot Kurosawa , bye bye James Cameron you've been upstaged.

Coppola

Scorsese

Coen bros

Alejandro González Iñárritu

I can't decide who of these would make top 6.

Michael Cimino. One crazy fu***r.

Bergman.

Alan Parker. Angel Heart, what great move that is., Mississippi burning

David Lynch

Wes Anderson. Anyone watched Moonrise Kingdom yet?

Tarantino

Eastwood

Sofia Coppola: Hard to ignore Lost in translation. I love it. I liked Somewhere too.

Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge)

Really?

Nice that an Australian made your list but this guy? Not in my book, not in a million years. I think he has his head so far up his arse that the lump in his throat is his neck.

OK, maybe that's a bit harsh but I knew when I saw him being interviewed over the delay of the release of his film "Australia" that he would not be able to resist fiddling with it to the point of embarrassment. And he sure embarrassed a lot of Aussies with that load of tripe.

Really?

Nice that an Australian made your list but this guy? Not in my book, not in a million years. I think he has his head so far up his arse that the lump in his throat is his neck.

OK, maybe that's a bit harsh but I knew when I saw him being interviewed over the delay of the release of his film "Australia" that he would not be able to resist fiddling with it to the point of embarrassment. And he sure embarrassed a lot of Aussies with that load of tripe.

If I were going to include an Aussie director, it would be Bruce Beresford,

Peter Weir and Simon Wincer are worthy of consideration too.

Yes, either Bruce Beresford or Peter Weir or Fred Schepsi or Phillip Noyce or Scott Hicks or PJ Hogan or Gillian Armstrong or even Jane Campion & she's a kiwi. And even a kiwi would make my list before Baz.

Sorry DeepThroat, I did get a bit carried away there... :unsure:

To make up for my silliness in the last post, here's a few I like:

Ang Lee

Pedro Almodovar

Clint Eastwood

Billy Wilder

Danny Boyle

Frank Capra

And I would add the Coen Brothers, I loved Fargo even if I was less impressed by No Country For Old Men but the one thing I will always admire them for was their persistence to make The Three Stooges. It may be critically panned but they fought for over 10 years to bring this to the screen & I have been hoping all that time they never lost their resolve.

The Stooges are the best at what they did & they never truly received the recognition they deserved. I hope they make more films honouring them, I don't want them to be forgotten.

EDIT: Ahhhh, it's not the Coen Brothers who made the Stooges, it is the Farrelly Brothers!! Same-same but different..... :mad0261:

To make up for my silliness in the last post, here's a few I like:

Ang Lee

Pedro Almodovar

Clint Eastwood

Billy Wilder

Danny Boyle

Frank Capra

And I would add the Coen Brothers, I loved Fargo even if I was less impressed by No Country For Old Men but the one thing I will always admire them for was their persistence to make The Three Stooges. It may be critically panned but they fought for over 10 years to bring this to the screen & I have been hoping all that time they never lost their resolve.

The Stooges are the best at what they did & they never truly received the recognition they deserved. I hope they make more films honouring them, I don't want them to be forgotten.

I don't think they've made The Three Stooges yet have they? Their last movie was True Grit and their next one due to be released Feb 2013 is called Inside Llewyn Davis

May I ask who's your favorite Stooge?

There's only one, the incomparable Curly. He had a stroke in 1946 & was replaced but never equalled by a string of also-rans.

There is film of Curly doing his unique form of comedy that has never been equalled by any human being on the face of the earth. And I don't say that lightly. I had no idea that he hardly survived World War II yet he is still better than all those who came after.

He is also Hefe's avatar & here's another pic of the man.

post-83-0-21259400-1343225658_thumb.jpg

Absolutely Pacman. Curly Howard was the greatest stooge of all time. They spent the rest of their career trying to find a suitable replacement.

Stooges trivia for you - Moe, Curly and Shemp were brothers. The Howard brothers. If you listen in the background in at least one of their scenes (when they are acting as doctors) you will hear the hospital PA call for "Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard" - Moe Howard, Larry Fine, and Curly Howard. Shemp was actually a member of the troupe early-on (when they were teamed with some other dude and called "xxx and his stooges" - I cannot remember the guys name right now). Shemp left for solo-stardom which actually didn't occur, and his younger brother Curly joined the troupe in his place. After Curly's unexpected stroke or heart attack Shemp rejoined the group.

Sorry Down Low Larry, but your comrade-in-arms Curly is my favorite. And the favorite of ALL discriminating Stooges fans.

Yes the 3 Stooges was made, released and flopped terribly with critics and at the box office.

BUT, not by the Coen Brothers. The recent Three Stooges movie was made by the Farrelly Brothers.

Our fine friend the Pacmeister said it was made by the Coens. Shame on him for mistaking the Farrellys for the Coens.