Ramblings & Replies

Yeah Jaidee....as a matter of fact ive been tuning into louis ck on youtube for a while now...youtube is a great place to check out comedians you wouldn't see in your native country.....incidentally,whats the origin of the word "cracker" being an insulting word for white people.?.....(i'm proud to say ive been called it myself ,in the UK)

Louis CK's series on FX television "Louis" is, bar none, one of the best shows currently airing. He has pretty much complete control & what comes out is a really unusual take on episodic comedy. Just like that youtube routine he tackles real issues but is funny about it, & not always funny in the way one expects 30min shows to be. Plus FX gives him full freedom, no censoring, a rarity on a commercial outlet.

Last season he had a scene in the front seat of a car where a rowdy woman he just met immediately went down on him & gave him a blowjob to his obvious facial enjoyment. When he came & was all happy she turned & said "OK now it's your turn". The rest of the scene was him trying to rationalize to her why he didn't want to give her head. Funny & familiar...

I've been told that the term "cracker" comes from the old plantation days when the white man would use a whip to make his point, that would explain why it's usually directed at southerners & rednecks.

• Upvote 1

The 3rd episode of Louie this season made a big splash because it had a fat girl blasting Louie for not wanting to date her, and how she can never find love, etc.......it made national news and even CNN did a couple segments on it [when not looking for the plane]. He just stood there and took it for 5 minutes, hardly said a word......he was basically saying "you're right" without saying anything at all.

I have seen Frankie Boyle and he is good, Scottish right?

Not sure about the word cracker either but Hefe's definition sounds about right.

It's not nearly as bad as the N-word.

"Airbus A380 and Boeing B737 on approach to LAX"

"A great photo, I didn’t even see the 737 at first glance.

And the Airbus is farther away!!

How is this for a size comparison? Somewhat startling.

This shows an Airbus A380 and a Boeing B737 flying parallel approaches into LAX (Los Angeles, California)

Just think how massive the 737 seemed to the pilot when he first flew one."

post-4762-0-33375600-1400397006_thumb.jp

post-4762-25676.jpg

I think the planes flying into LAX were photoshopped there,  Tororut.........just to show the comparison in plane size.  I saw that same photo a few weeks back.

Planes could never approach an airport that closely together, I think it's 1 or 2 miles of space, minimum.

I was sent it. Perhaps, "Creative Aviation Photography" is the hint :-) but there is more than one approach runway, there are 4 runways in pairs with the right pair the longest, and as the text said there is quite a separation between the two pairs, about 4 km (more?). Imagine the Jet wash coming off the 380. Regardless the 380 is gigantic compared with a 737, and is large compared even to a 747

Foreground AirNZ A320 Middle Qantas 737-838 and in the background an Emirates 380-800

post-4762-0-91580900-1400489402_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Dr Dre. What is he a Dr of?

and this HAS to go some where so it may as well be here unless there is a science/food thread I've missed which is highly likely

SCIENCE explains why you LOVE the smell of BACON

Reaction between compounds found to ... you're already off to fry some bacon, aren't you?

By Shaun Nichols, 31 May 2014

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/31/science_explains_why_you_love_the_smell_of_bacon/

Pics Potato in SPAAAAACE: LOHAN chap cooks up stratospud with Heston Blumenthal

Pics El Reg Quid-A-Day Nosh Posse back on the bacon

Can you smell bacon? Yes! And it's coming from your iPhone!

Boffins invent LUMINOUS PIGS again, glow-in-dark bacon sarnies presumably imminent

Brilliant Brit bloke builds breakfast-belching BACON DRONE

Scientists have explained the reason why humans love the smell of frying bacon.

Bacon-boffins from the American Chemical Society and Compound Interest produced a video summarizing a research effort into the compounds that give everyone's favorite cured breakfast meat its distinctive and wonderful aroma.

Video: The Smell of Bacon

The video explains that bacon's smell is the result of a process known as the Maillard Reaction, in which sugars break down and combine with amino acids to form any of 150 different organic compounds.

Among those compounds, researchers say, is a collection of aldehydes, hydrocarbons, and nitrogen-containing pyridines and pyrazines which humans (and most other carnivorous or omnivorous species) find so enticing. That collection of compounds is unique to bacon and is not produced when other types of pork are fried.

The groups reference a 2004 study by Spanish researchers which investigated and compared the smells produced by frying bacon and pork loin. The study concluded that the nitrites present in bacon were likely the reason it produced a preferable aroma to other pork products.

Unfortunately, the study did not address the English v. American bacon issue that has divided the Reg San Francisco office along international lines. Our Yank staff prefer the crisp and fatty American rendition, while the Brits maintain that their leaner, more chewy bacon is tops. ®

• Upvote 2

So Don Sterling has been deemed mentally incompetent by 2 neurologists.... first reflex is that is is some sort of legal angle for him to wriggle out of trouble, but then they go & sell the team for $2 billion when all the pundits put its value around $500 mil. How crazy can he be?

I remember one of the interviewers that started this, don't think it was Anderson Cooper with the intitial one, perhaps it was Barbara Walters with the attempted second "damage control" one, anyways one of them when asked a few weeks ago what they thought of him during the interview answered that he seemed a bit vacant & out of it & suggested then that he might have (the start) of mental issues.

So Don Sterling has been deemed mentally incompetent by 2 neurologists.... first reflex is that is is some sort of legal angle for him to wriggle out of trouble, but then they go & sell the team for $2 billion when all the pundits put its value around $500 mil. How crazy can he be?

I remember one of the interviewers that started this, don't think it was Anderson Cooper with the intitial one, perhaps it was Barbara Walters with the attempted second "damage control" one, anyways one of them when asked a few weeks ago what they thought of him during the interview answered that he seemed a bit vacant & out of it & suggested then that he might have (the start) of mental issues.

Who says that irony is dead?

V. Stiviano, the woman at the center of the scandal surrounding L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling — who was banned from the NBA after he was caught on tape making racist comments to Stiviano — has now herself been captured making derogatory comments about black people,TMZ reports.

"On the video, posted to TMZ, Stiviano comments,”I don't understand black people. You give them a little bit of money, they don't know what to do with it.”

She goes on to opine that black people “just act crazy … they're like, ‘Yo, I wanna put extra rims on top of my rims. And my rims are gonna turn around. I'm gonna call them spinners.'”

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/v-stiviano-trashes-black-people-tape-video-174700022.html

• Upvote 1

Well done Dr Dre. What is he a Dr of? 

"Business Insider points us to a recent survey conducted by Statista showing that Beats headphones are by far the favorite brand of headphones for American teenagers. In fact, more than 46% of all teens surveyed said they preferred Beats headphones to others while more than 25% said they preferred Apple’s — no other brand of headphones scored higher than 10%. In other words, now that Apple has acquired Beats, it seemingly has the teenage market for headphones cornered."

http://news.yahoo.com/major-reason-why-apple-bought-beats-almost-no-173015723.html

• Upvote 1