French Documentary about Katoeys

rxpharm

This is a good French documentary posted in YouTube. Even though it is from 2011 a lot of the topics shown are still relevant today. Also note that Dr. Thep from Pratunam Polyclinic now has an anesthesiologist on hand for the operations.

Turn on the captions for English translation.

• Like 3

I hadn't seen this one in the 2010s, but I remeber having seen anpther one with a katoey (maybe the same as in this video) criticizing SRS (in this video, she complained that she has had no more sex desire since she had her SRS). 

Many topics deal with beauty pageants. 
Otherwise, I'm curious about the fate of the teenage kattoeys featured in the video. Did one of them become a service girl in a bar or a performer in sex videos. 
Last but not least, I noticed the father who stated he didn't like his son became a katoey. Ladyboys usually pretend their their parents are proud but I seldom believed them. 

I will endeavor to find the time to watch the entire video without interruption.

Also see this other TV report broadcasted in july 2010. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

I hadn't seen this one in the 2010s, but I remeber having seen anpther one with a katoey (maybe the same as in this video) criticizing SRS (in this video, she complained that she has had no more sex desire since she had her SRS). 

Many topics deal with beauty pageants. 
Otherwise, I'm curious about the fate of the teenage kattoeys featured in the video. Did one of them become a service girl in a bar or a performer in sex videos. 
Last but not least, I noticed the father who stated he didn't like his son became a katoey. Ladyboys usually pretend their their parents are proud but I seldom believed them. 

I will endeavor to find the time to watch the entire video without interruption.

Also see this other TV report broadcasted in july 2010. 

when are Asian parents ever proud of their children? unless when they become bankers or doctors or lawyers with award winning piano skills.

If they can send money home regularly....the pride comes back. Katoeys have that ability sometimes.

It's not about the child......it's about the Parents needs and their "face".

10 hours ago, The-Sith said:

when are Asian parents ever proud of their children? unless when they become bankers or doctors or lawyers with award winning piano skills.

If they can send money home regularly....the pride comes back. Katoeys have that ability sometimes.

It's not about the child......it's about the Parents needs and their "face".

I am amazed at how much we (including myself) perceive these people as backward. When it comes to Japan or Taiwan, we don't have such considerations, nor do we with Malaysia, Singapore, or Vietnam (but not Cambodia). In Thailand and Vietnam, I had the opportunity to ask and ladyboys answered me their parents were either proud or had no issue about it although I knew that was an issue. In Europe, we pay for a national social insurance and old people will receive pensions based on what they paid. 

In Thailand, a ladyboy may be a good opportunity for the family. While her parents take care of her sister's children, she will send her parents money. I don't know what will happen when the ladyboy's old. (In VN, a ladyboy was her parents' only child. Her father's old and her mother is the same age as me. When her father stopped working, she was supposed to help. I guess he's got a governmental (small) pension but he had to start again working after the curfew since she was not able to send her parents money. Anyway, VN seems to be more advanced than Thailand). 

The documentary doesn't touch upon this facet of social life.

• Like 2

I'm not talking about per capita GDP or average income, but rather the common moral sense of the Vietnamese. Even though they too are preoccupied with financial matters, they exhibit a sense of restraint that I haven't always observed among the Thais. There are far fewer tourist scams in Vietnam, and personally, I've often felt more comfortable with transportation and accommodation, the services I've used the most. I can't imagine Vietnamese parents letting their son become a ladyboy an,d let him go as long as he/she sends his/her share of money for their old days. 

Even, as far as economic growth is concerned, you should go to Saigon and Hanoi for a visit next time you travel and you'd be surprised to see how modern these towns are. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Zeppie said:

What's the "right" taxi?

The taxi of the hotel manager's brother in law or cousin. :happy0148:

it has nothing to do with my equipment.........its the website

You got lucky..........

You're right. Something's wrong with the forum settings. Waiting for the issue to be resolved, may I suggest you use MS-Edge on either a PC or an Android phone or tablet.

• Upvote 1

You're still in your position of VN bashing. If you feared to spend too much money to go to your hotel, you should have picked up a bus to go to your hotel or go back to the airport. This would have costed you 6,000 or 12,000 VND. Full top. The hotel manager should have advised you of a bus departing from the neighbourhood or your hotel. 

You shouldn't complain of VN. you made the decision to stay one night in Saigon. you had a few ladyboys in a reasonable walking distance of your hotel but made no effort to find or contact them. You have been rewarded at the level of your effort. 

Just be advised I was never scammed by a a taxi in VN when I chose to pick up one. And when I couldn't obtain the flat rate I wanted, I've taken responsability for my decision and walked instead if I couldn't find a bus. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 4:51 AM, Woodie said:

Maybe, but the only time I have been warned about taking the right taxi was in HCMC, and that was from the hotel I had booked!.

I was in hcmc 5 years ago loved it. But the taxi scams were rampant then. Especially the drivers who spoke English lol