Lest we Forget

duke007

I agree with those sentiments, but unfortunately wars will keep on keeping on and young guys will be sent off to war to fight other peoples battles. So it makes the words a bit valueless.

I think that of all wars the 1st World War was the most stupid, pointless, useless, valueless bloody war ever!!!!. Even now historians and war historians cannot figure out why it started. The killing of Ferdinand was used as an excuse but that was not the reason. It had been brewing for a few years with once again Germany involved in planning in the midst of the Austro Hungarian thingy. What a waste!

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Woodie said:

I agree with those sentiments, but unfortunately wars will keep on keeping on and young guys will be sent off to war to fight other peoples battles. So it makes the words a bit valueless

Governments send the men and women to fight these wars. Respect those who served, Woodie (as I'm sure you do) and condemn the wars and those who create them. Lest we forget those who gave so much.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, cobber32 said:

Governments send the men and women to fight these wars. Respect those who served, Woodie (as I'm sure you do) and condemn the wars and those who create them. Lest we forget those who gave so much.

Cobber, I guess the word respect might have some value in this discussion in some wars, but the poor buggers who fought in the trenches in WW1 in a lot of cases, thought they were off to see the world at the governments expense. No the most sane thought, but of course they did not have the knowledge that we have of how these wars were to be fought. All crazy stuff!. As they found out at Gallipoli and the Somme etc..

In retrospect the Second World war was probably a justified war. Can't think of others that can be called that.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, cobber32 said:

Well said Cobber  and you saw it all first hand in Vietnam ,

Respect to all that have served and are servings now :hi:

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...