What Art Would You Commission

Pdoggg

I've never bought artwork in Thailand because I move around too much and don't want to deal with storage.  It seems that you can commission copies quite inexpensively.   

If I were buying though, Dustheads by Basquiat would be a piece that I'd consider.  What would you want hanging in your living room?

basq.jpg

• Upvote 1
On 6/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, Pdoggg said:

What would you want hanging in your living room?

I have large forest scene canvas prints. Not as expensive as actual paintings, so I can replace them for a change. I like woodlands and countryside but live in a big city, so I can imagine being outdoors with some woodland scenes.

Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 08.00.19 - Edited.png

Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 08.04.31 - Edited.png

Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 08.10.08 - Edited.png

• Like 2

not really replying to the topic, just to QGs pictures of the trees above

i once a long time back took my kids to Centre Parcs, somewhere near Norwich i think, i forget the name of the place now. I was really looking forward to it because it advertised woodlands where a bicycle could be rode along the trails.

Where i grew up there were woods at the end of the street - ancient woods, a remnant of Barnsdale, a forest which until maybe the 14th century covered much of the north of England. I loved those woods. A proper, entangled natural forest. You could get lost in it... Kids sometimes did.

Lo and behold.. Centre Parcs then... Not a forest or a wood really, just very like QGs pictures... i guess you call it a managed tree plantation or suchlike... I hated it. Trees don't grew in straight lines, no straight lines in nature. You've brought back both good and bad memories for me QG.

Never mind... back to my picture of Lily hanging on the wall then.......

dogs2.thumb.jpg.3c835a74a30cbdb9e339e1e2d0d3c574.jpg

Seriously PDoggg..........

....  why get a copy of anything ?   without much artistic or resale value ?   I would instead (as I have done) buy an original Thai or Burmese or Laos antique that can be hung on your wall or whatever.   For a couple hundred dollars you can have a unique piece hundreds of years old that will look a lot more impressive in your home.  I can help you pick a good one if u like... cheers

r

buddha.jpg.6c8149755c1fe18feb93a5dac97fe595.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, JustSumGai said:

now I would LOVE the dogs playing poker (in velvet of course) on my living room wall :)

If it didn't yet exist, so nobody knew it as schlock art, maybe it would be appreciated.  I had it on my wall during college days or shortly thereafter.  

8 hours ago, Rom said:

why get a copy of anything ?   without much artistic or resale value ?

I get why a copy doesn't have resale value.  But why wouldn't there be artistic value IF the copy is reasonably good?

So to me the question becomes how good are the copies? 

And what dimensions to choose if the original would overwhelm the room?

Are there certain artists that are easier to copy?  

What materials to use?  I would think that modern day paint and canvas would be superior to what was available in the 16th century or maybe even 40 years ago.

• 4 months later...

When getting art copied you show a pic to the artist.  But when googling images for Dustheads, the colors are slightly different (examples in the link), and maybe the colors are even slightly different on different browsers.

What source online will show the real original colors?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dustheads&safe=off&sxsrf=ALeKk01Nb_-Inj3KctDQ9gqBo7Zj4HDrSA:1604854918300&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjo0Mi6tvPsAhV0H7cAHfzWBh0Q_AUoAXoECCkQAw&biw=1440&bih=764