Razors

SiamSam

We all shave. We buy the latest expensive stuff from Gillette which is price obscene. We also try the cheap stuff which hurts and is shit for the most part. Personally I have to shave at least once a day (sometimes twice) and I never really get a satisfying shave no matter what the hotshot, latest product is. In the end it is all the same. I pay more thinking I will get a more satisfying shave and in the end it is the same. No difference. Just nicks and cuts and a blade that dulls within a week. Is it a scam? Why can't anyone produce a blade and mechanism that does the job well and lasts for a period of time that justifies the price? Was my grandfather's single blade razor more efficient? 

I recently subscribe to HARRY. This is a product from the US. You buy the razor and they then send you the necessary blades automatically depending on your shaving cycle/frequency. In my case, every 2 months they send me 8 blades. The results? Same same. However it is cheaper than buying the Gillette alternatives. Makes me crazy.

Your thoughts gentleman?

• Upvote 1

SiamSam, on 02 Feb 2016 - 7:55 PM, said:snapback.png

Your thoughts gentleman?

I find I get the best shaves when give my face a break for two or three days.  You might also want to shave with a cheap blade but replace it more often.

I use two  blades. One for most of my face and the other just for the area near my nose.

I use Edge razor and blades from Costco $25 (often on sale for $20) for 1 razor and 17 blades, and I think as well as being dirt cheap they are absolutely amazing as because they are titanium and don't rust (which is what dulls the blades) they stay sharp forever , at home (where warm/hot water is guaranteed) I can get a good to really good shave with the same blade for 6 months +, have to use new one in LOS because of not always being able to get hot or even warm water, I highly recommend them, bonus is that Schick quattro blades (also titanium and found everywhere) can be used as they fit the razor

I've been using two blade disposable razors seemingly forever. However not long ago I bought some three blade BIC 3 Flex disposables at WalMart and really like them. The head flexes a bit which helps. On my west coast stopover on the way to Thailand I tried to find some of the three blade BICs but only could find four blade BIC 4 Flex razors. For whatever the reason the BIC 4 is not nearly as comfortable for me as the three blade model. So I'll be using the three blade BIC Flex when I get back home. They are something like US$4 for three razors.  

I have been using the Gillette Mach 3 for years and am satisfied with it, although I have been considering a change. 

I was advised by a gay barber of the three cardinal rules of a good shave to prevent ingrown hair issues (which I get from time to time), cuts and abrasions, and skin irritation. His advice has worked for me when I stick to it.

1. Sharp/Sterile Blades: Use the best and keep them clean. I dab my blade with a cotton ball lightly soaked in alcohol before each use, but not while still wet from the alcohol. I can get about 9 good shaves from each Mach 3 blade, and my beard is moderately thick.

2.  Clean and Open Pores: If skin pores are not clean and open when you shave then you are much more likely to have a bad shaving experience. Gently wash your face and neck with a clean and soft facecloth before each shave to clean the dead skin and whatever from your pores, and to massage the hairs to loosen them up prior to shaving. He also suggested to use a gentle, moisturizing soap for the facial wash.

3.  Shave Slowly: I hate to shave and want to get it over with as soon as possible, but I have learned to take my time and be extra careful in those areas of my face and neck that are susceptible to problems.

Here's my shower routine:

1. Sterilize blade with lightly soaked cotton ball and place it on the sink surface (face up) to dry while I take a shower.
  2. Gently wash and massage my face and neck with soft moisturizing soap and soft facecloth during hot shower to help open and clean my neck and facial pores.
  3. Slowly shave immediately after taking shower, applying moderately hot water and a modest amount of natural moisturizing soup to face and neck instead of traditional shaving cream. I don't use traditional shaving cream because it's expensive, environmentally unfriendly, and usually contains ingredients that irritate my skin.

If I have to shave without taking a shower I wash my face the same way I do when I take a shower, with moderately hot water. I will sometimes soak a small towel or facecloth with water and nuke it in a microwave for 30 to 45 seconds and apply to my face first to open the pores.

I won't have a bad shaving experience 97.6 % of the time if I stick to these rules and this routine.

• Upvote 1

what about a laser treatment in Bkk?????.....o good excuse to chat with all the ladyboys on line waiting....

when i went with my lb to the clinic...i had fun more than nana plaza ( then i had to stand a jealousy show from my lb...telling me i am an old horny pig...but what can i do? beard or no beard...gilette or rotating head razors...i go crazy when i see a lb )

by the way...have you ever kissed a lb feeling her mustache hair????

I learnt my lesson many years ago, It's well worth spending a little more to facilitate a nice shaving experience.

None of the cheap disposable blades complete with handles have ever cut the mustard so far as I'm concerned. Gents using these would surely be a life long convert if they paid more and switched to the Gillette Fusion Proglide range, as featured by duke007 in an earlier post.

If there is a better wet shave razor available I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks for the eBay tip duke, I've just gone on-line and purchased a supply of the aforementioned from a reputable seller.

• Upvote 1

That's about $26.00CDN. I will check out eBay and compare to stores like Costco. Usually it is the shipping costs on eBay that makes the deal less attractive. However some sellers offer free shipping. 

Thanks Dave. 

No worries Sam, add the fact you dont have to walk out of your front door to get your blades makes Ebay an even better option  B)

The Wilkinson Sword Quattro Titanium is my weapon of choice, (Dukey would you do the honours and insert a pic please, my computer is running really slow), and has been for a few years. One blade generally does me around 2 weeks, which is just as well because a pack of 8 blades is £15. Robbin' bastards.

As someone previously said, having piping hot water to shave creates/helps get a closer shave, alas this is not possible in LOS as very rarely have I stayed anywhere that has piping hot water. :unsure:

The Wilkinson Sword Quattro Titanium is my weapon of choice, (Dukey would you do the honours and insert a pic please, my computer is running really slow), and has been for a few years. One blade generally does me around 2 weeks, which is just as well because a pack of of 8 blades is £15. Robbin' bastards.

As someone previously said, having piping hot water to shave creates/helps get a closer shave, alas this is not possible in LOS as very rarely have I stayed anywhere that has piping hot water. :unsure:

Here you go twatty  :biggrin:

btw....did you know that you can get em for 

Price: £11.59 (£1.45 / each) FREE UK delivery.  :rolleye0012: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilkinson-Sword-Quattro-Titanium-Blades/dp/B000ORV4X6

post-136-0-33270700-1454534305_thumb.jpg

Cheers Cunty. Only thing is I point blank refuse to buy anything off those fuckers at Amazon until they start paying their fair share of tax. We wouldn't get away with it like they do, ffs.

Have you ever tried Ebay knobsock?  :biggrin:

Free P&P to United Kingdom....  Economy Delivery (Royal Mail 48) or Collection FREE Click & Collect from your local Argos

Wilkinson Sword Quattro Titanium Razor Blades 8 Pack

Brand New UK Stock - Fast Same Day Dispatch

£11.29

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilkinson-Sword-Quattro-Titanium-Razor-Blades-8-Pack-/130599811091?hash=item1e685af813:g:zkYAAOSwcu5UN6G6

Well I'm absolutely stunned by all this. I just buy the Gillette Vector blades (twin blade, 2 in a pack) from Tesco Lotus as and when needed. Mostly shave in cold water and have done for years. I need to shave every day, and have never had a problem.

Having said that, I probably don't end up as a "hansum man", but it seems to work out okay.

• Upvote 1