Corner Bar

pdogg

Gotta agree with Kahuna on this one -- the new owners of Corner Bar have one strike against them. They chose wrongly...

Yup. As new owners of a relatively successful bar, the worst thing they cudda done was mess with a winning formula. Leave the management intact, ask them to keep doing what they've been doing, and newbie owners just sit down, shut up and stay the fuck out of the way.

So as I understand it the new owners have now lost both Aun and Ning?!!? If this is the case they're numb-skulls and off to a bad start.

As far as I am concerned Corner Bar will now be just another Sunee gay bar. Nothing more, nothing less. And that is a great lost for many of us. Alas, nothing is forever except stupidity.

Michael is gone. Thomas is gone. Aun is gone. Ning is gone. Lefty is in PI and will not be returning to LOS any time soon.

End of an era for sure. It is Veterans Day in the US and Remembrance Day in Canada. Appropriate under the circumstances.

Just BigTelly and me left to snuggle, have thumb fights and talk about Seikos on that cosy wicker couch. :friends:

Well, I gave it my best shot, guys...

Twice over the course of a couple nights I had a little heart-to-heart with Crabby, asking him to try to explain to the new owners our niche-yet-significant market to the bar, and the importance of having at least one or two ladyboys working in the bar.

Maybe not most of the guys posting here, but there are a large number of guys who would only come to that bar -- that area! -- under the pretense that there was a cute ladyboy working in the bar. It provides cover.

I guess the message didn't get through. And as a result they are probably gonna lose our custom...

Well, I gave it my best shot, guys...

Twice over the course of a couple nights I had a little heart-to-heart with Crabby, asking him to try to explain to the new owners our niche-yet-significant market to the bar, and the importance of having at least one or two ladyboys working in the bar.

Maybe not most of the guys posting here, but there are a large number of guys who would only come to that bar -- that area! -- under the pretense that there was a cute ladyboy working in the bar. It provides cover.

I guess the message didn't get through. And as a result they are probably gonna lose our custom...

That mattered very little to me. Why do I need something to provide cover? Cover from what?

What matters to me is not that Aun and Ning are ladyboys, but that they were good employees who lost their jobs through, as near as I can surmise, no fault of their own.

That mattered very little to me. Why do I need something to provide cover? Cover from what?

What matters to me is not that Aun and Ning are ladyboys, but that they were good employees who lost their jobs through, as near as I can surmise, no fault of their own.

Me me me...!

It's not all about you -- you are not like most people -- and you missed my point, or chose to ignore in order to make your own point...

Corner's loss is Famous' gain.

Ning is now at Famous.

the new owners of Corner couldn't be arsed to introduce themselves to any of our crowd. For those of you who want the Sunee wicker chair experience, you have some other bars with very friendly owners such as Barry at Yaya's and also Colin at...forget the new name of his bar.

it's amazing that owners think they automatically inherit the goodwill of a bar when they buy it. maybe they'll get the message and send over a gratis SangSom/Coke and have a femboy use her cock as a swizzle stick.

Me me me...!

It's not all about you -- you are not like most people -- and you missed my point, or chose to ignore in order to make your own point...

did some guys tell you that they liked the cover of having two lbs on staff at Corner Bar so they could drink there without being labeled as just another queer, or did you make the assumption a good number of guys liked the cover, or did the cover thing apply to perhaps just you?

• 2 months later...

Here's a Corner Bar update.

I posted in another thread about my recent but really more apropriate here. I made an offhand comment about slightly higher prices, weaker drinks, and a ladyboy who doesn't go off with customers implying that this is the reason why the other Sunee beer bars are packed while Corner is empty. I shouldn't PWI, Post While Intoxicated, IMO, these are NOT the reasons why Corner has lost their customers.

I don't think a slight price increase matters very much if customers otherwise like a bar. And the ladyboy who doesn't go off is clearly a non-factor to the core Sunee gay customer.

I really don't know if Corner was making a profit before and have no idea if it was sold at a profit or loss.

I also don't know if the new owners expected to retain most of the current customers. Maybe they didn't care about the existing customer base and just wanted a fresh start, I just don't know.

IMO, the reason they have lost their customers is because Michael is gone. Michael is a natural host who genuinely enjoys welcoming customers and making sure they are treated well.

Now some people couldn't care less about a friendly owner and in some venues it just doesn't matter such as Cascade. But to many Corner customers, it was sort of like a pub back home to call into to see friendly faces and the management and friendliness of the staff is important.

Without Michael there, Corner started losing their customers. I never owned a bar, never will, and know nothing about the bar business. But I imagine it is not easy dealing with all the little problems that occur on a daily basis and Mike was quite good at this and kept everyone happy.

My guess is also that the core gay customer prefer a gay owner, and not a Belgian husband and wife team.

Corner is still a good place to hang out and have a quiet conversation. The music is low and seats are comfortable and you're not packed in as tightly as in other bars. The boys there will leave you alone.

But I don't want to mislead anyone that Corner is a good spot to go to for ladyboys. Maybe more of an alternative to Pattaya Beer Garden than anything else.

• 3 months later...

I just got an update this evening from one of my gay expat friends who was a frequent customer. I asked him how Corner Bar was now with the new owners. His quote:

"useless dead, up for sale. they really fucked it up"

• I doubt Michael and Thomas have any plans to come back, but if it is as bad as it sounds, they could probably buy it back for less than they sold it for.

• Upvote 2

I am not surprised to heard this. Corner Bar with Michael, Aum, Ning, and Thomas was a calm, relaxing oasis away from the unrelenting madness of Pattaya. Everyone enjoyed spending time there. Didn't matter if you were gay, straight, male, female or DT. It was a great place to meet friends. Perhaps someone will buy it and return it to its former fame and glory. How about you and me Lefty? :drinks:

I'm a bit flattered with all the attention, and having a whole new category of sexuality named after me.... :yahoo:

It is a shame about the decline of Coroner Bar, but on my visits to All Of Me with BigTel, PDogg and the gang, it seemed to have filled the niche left vacant quite well.

I never felt like I needed a "cover" (Aun and Ning) in order to feel comfortable in Sunee, as the crowd I was hanging with were all fine hetero homos and I felt like if it was good enough for them, it was good enough for me. I do miss Aun and Ning, but their absence doesn't make All Of Me any less relaxed and enjoyable.

For me it's the Sunee vibe and great conversation with great guys that made a place like Corner Bar so great, and All Of Me fills the same place until something better comes along.