Irish Trivia

Pdoggg

Hibernia comes from the Latin word for winter as the Romans viewed it as a land of eternal winter and possibly a reason they never bothered crossing the Irish Sea.

au contraire BB....there has been recently a mass grave excavated north od dublin containing the remains of roman centurions....serious.....i'll post the link when i find it ,or mr google will tell you...  

Freud for #1

Mr O'Higgins rings a bell for Latin America, can't remember where... so a wild guess: Bolivia

I apparently have family in Argentina since my mom recalls a letter to her father, from his uncle, that told how sad he was living in Argentina away from the ould country without any family. His name wasn't O'Higgins though, I would guess the letter to be around WW1 era vintage give or take, maybe earlier.

(Been to BA on business, highly recommend to any who haven't visited, very European & cheap, good steaks, beautiful women & a flourishing tg scene also.)

Which Irishman famously said this at a Concert?

'Is there anybody here with any Irish in them? Is there any of the girls who’d like a little more Irish in them?' 

Bernardo o higgins was Chile....i beieve Irish/Spanish ancestry....

I think the pop star was Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy fame......drank and drugged himself to death.....like any true pop star!....Whatcha think mr duke...was he an Irishman or a Mancunian...?or both?

• Upvote 1

au contraire BB....there has been recently a mass grave excavated north od dublin containing the remains of roman centurions....serious.....i'll post the link when i find it ,or mr google will tell you...    Bernardo o higgins was Chile....i beieve Irish/Spanish ancestry....

Aye I remember now you mentioned that before.  But don't let the truth get in the way of a good yarn as the saying goes. :biggrin:

I think the pop star was Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy fame......drank and drugged himself to death.....like any true pop star!....Whatcha think mr duke...was he an Irishman or a Mancunian...?or both?

Correct  willie, even though Phil was born in West Bromwich (England) he moved to Dublin when he was four years old and considered himself Oirish.....as for the Manchester link he was a Manchester United fan  :biggrin:

So who were "The Boys" anyway?

Who exactly "The Boys are Back in Town" is about has been much-debated since the song's release. Possible inspirations have allegedly been Manchester football, soldiers in the Vietnam war and even the band's own fans.
But the song actually believed to be a referrntial tribute to a ragamuffin bunch of criminals based in Manchester called the Quality Street Gang, members of the gang frequented the bar which Lynott's mother ran, and Phil immortalized one of them in another Lizzy song "Johnny the Fox meets Jimmy the Weed", When the song became popular he gave "Jimmy the Weed" his own gold record 

But the song actually believed to be a referrntial tribute to a ragamuffin bunch of criminals based in Manchester called the Quality Street Gang, members of the gang frequented the bar which Lynott's mother ran, 

I read about them , a bunch of cool dudes in mohair suits and smart overcoats .

Legend has it the Kray twins took a train to Manchester in an attempt to take over their patch , took one look and jumped back on the train to London .

Legend has it the Kray twins took a train to Manchester in an attempt to take over their patch , took one look and jumped back on the train to London .

Yeah Jim, the Krays were quickly on their toes and heading back down sarf after trying to mess with the Manchester crew  :biggrin:

But the song actually believed to be a referrntial tribute to a ragamuffin bunch of criminals based in Manchester called the Quality Street Gang, members of the gang frequented the bar which Lynott's mother ran

I used to hang out in a bar that had lots of petty thieves and these guys loved that song. Especially Crazy Jim, a guy I knew back in the day. It resonated these with young toughs who didn't have a clue what was going on in Manchester.  To me the lyrics sound very American.

I read about them , a bunch of cool dudes in mohair suits and smart overcoats .

theyre all old men now,but still well respected "jimmy the weed" has even brought a book out!....(i stood in Waterstones and read a huge chunk of it)...sadly,he hasnt long left,he has the big C....

Theres many conflicting stories about the Krays coming to mcr....i believe the one where they were met bt Mcr CID,who put them on the next train back.....not very exciting,but the most likely imo....

Correct  willie, even though Phil was born in West Bromwich (England) he moved to Dublin when he was four years old and considered himself Oirish.....as for the Manchester link he was a Manchester United fan  :biggrin:

So who were "The Boys" anyway?

Who exactly "The Boys are Back in Town" is about has been much-debated since the song's release. Possible inspirations have allegedly been Manchester football, soldiers in the Vietnam war and even the band's own fans.
But the song actually believed to be a referrntial tribute to a ragamuffin bunch of criminals based in Manchester called the Quality Street Gang, members of the gang frequented the bar which Lynott's mother ran, and Phil immortalized one of them in another Lizzy song "Johnny the Fox meets Jimmy the Weed", When the song became popular he gave "Jimmy the Weed" his own gold record 

The Boys are Back

the song is about when Phil was in LA from memory ... Dinos Bar and Grill is still there i think .. but maybe not. I met Mr Lynott many times and must have been Thin Lizzys NO1 fan

I remember once when i was invited to a special gig at the BBC made for some TV special ( im not sure if it aired) and after the set crates of beer and Cider came out and he just lit up a joint without a care in world... Surrounded by girls you could not get near him ... so i had a play on Scotts Guitar instead..

( actually I think Dinos was a made up name for another bar..i a documentary shown a few weeks ago it stated that Dinos was a Bar in the 70s but some internet experts claim not ;;;any LA Historians here, you have to remember that Lynott was stoned most of the time ... it was probably " Momma's Bar and Grill or Ben Franks up on Sunset or whatever thats called these days)

• Upvote 1

Dinos Bar and Grill

Googling around there seems to be a real difference of opinion about the song lyrics and even if Dino's Bar and Grill existed.

It made a list of the top fictional bars on some guy's website:

11. Dino's Bar and Grill

First Appeared: "The Boys Are Back in Town," Thin Lizzy (1976)

Notable Patrons: The Boys

Signature Drink: The Drink

Yes, until we gave this one another listen, we also thought that the only lyrics to this song were "The boys are back in town.” Though their needs are simple, the boys at Dino's Bar and Grill are looking to have a good time. “Drink will flow and blood will spill”—this spot isn’t for the faint of heart, but if you go, it should be a good time causing big trouble. Guitar solo!

I love that song.

I was told once that the song was about a notorious gang of bank robbers - The Quality Street Mob - that worked out of Manchester.  I always thought that was a cracking name for a crew...Quality Street...it sounds so harmless.

The Quality Street Gang Started by John "LEGZ" Miller was a name given to a group of criminals operating in Manchester in the 1960s and 1970s. Although the group was considered by some senior officers in the Greater Manchester Police to be the instigators of much of Manchester's major crime,[1] many others believed that the gang was nothing more than a social friendship between a group of men, most of whom had criminal records. Certainly in the 20 years that the group was supposedly organising the city's crime, none of its alleged members was ever convicted of serious crimes.[2]

The Quality Street Gang was reportedly named after an advertisement for Quality Street confectionery which featured a group of fashionably dressed people: as the "gang" walked into a pub, a wag supposedly shouted "It's the Quality Street Gang" and the name stuck. Another story says the name came about because most of the gang members were overweight.[3] The gang was also at one point attached to a story about the Kray twins coming to Manchester to expand their turf, but being turned around at Manchester Piccadilly and put back on the train to London. In 2008 Daniel Flood gave evidence in a High Court hearing that his father Douglas Firkin-Flood had been a member of the gang who had been involved in the fight,[4] although the claim was later denied by Flood's son Ian, who pointed out that several conflicting versions of the story exist.[5] On his website, the former gangster Frankie Fraser doubts that the incident ever happened, as the Krays travelled exclusively by car and were uninterested in expanding their territory outside London.[6] In his autobiography 'Undesirables', Manchester United football hooligan Colin Blaney has claimed that members of the Quality Street Gang had links to a criminal element within Manchester United's football hooligan gang, which was known as the Inter City Jibbers, and carried out armed robberies together in Holland.[7] The photos page within the book includes a picture that claims to show a Quality Street Gang member at the wedding of Inter City Jibbers member John 'The Grid' McKee, who Blaney alleges was also heavily involved in the Dutch underworld,[8] substantiating the link between the two groups.

In 1986, John Stalker, Deputy Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, was suspended over accusations that, among other things, he had attended social events at which members of the gang were present. Stalker was later cleared.[3]

Googling around there seems to be a real difference of opinion about the song lyrics and even if Dino's Bar and Grill existed.

Another Thin Lizzy Documentary made by the BBC around 5 years ago claimed that the Bar was in San Francisco  and that Phil went there while on tour or Holiday whence he got the name...but the twist is that from memory the bar was called just " Dinos"

The plot thickens