Cheap Charly or not

globetrotter

I tend to analyze the relationship quality/price and in this regard thailand still has a very good quality for the price paid...doesn't matter if 1 star or 5 stars.

I have found accomodations in bkk, hua hin and lampang at a very good price for the comfort given. ( could not speak about pattaya as i usually do not go there )

I spend more on food as thai cuisine is my favourite. But even for restaurants i could notice a good quality for the price..never been swindled ( being careful at some poisoning places , it happened a couple of times in Huay Kwang local food restaurants )

With ladyboys i have a fixed rate that i presume correct. Then i could be generous if the attitude is good.

I couldn't notice the same relationship price/quality in the Philippines..

Keeping a low/medium profile i can say i am satisfied with Thailand and its offers. Then i could have a glorious night occasionally.

But what scandalizes & horrifies me the most is the way ladyboys treat their own money...squandering it all in no purpose buys....

That is the main reason i cut my relationship with a lb.....i couldn't stand she was eating at the restaurant paying the bill with my money.... when i am cooking my good plate of spaghetti at home

so...i am not cheap charlie but i try to be sensible with the money  i earn
  • Upvote 2

think the more trips u do the wiser u become also depends on how long u stay these days tend to keep to myself and do my own thing spending money as I go I always take enough to not worry on what I spend also take a credit card just to be safe....cheap Charlie I am not just abit more careful these days..... Regards Garry -_-

• Upvote 2

This question  depends whose asking.

I spend the money I want to spend but I dont waste it. Sometimes people might think I am cheap but the choice where to spend is up to me. Longer you stay or visit thailand you become better informed of how you like to spend and where.

• Upvote 2

Longer you stay or visit thailand you become better informed of how you like to spend and where.

Too true .

If you throw your money around you are no better thought off infact you are seen as a mug .

I have a daily budget and with an ever falling exchange rate it gets further depleted I have to cut my cloth to suit .

• Upvote 1

Its never enough , really. I left 60 baht tip on a 340 baht bin tonight.  I wanted to give the 60 in the hand to the waitress so she got all , but she split it up , 40 to herself 20 to the restaurant , which the staff put in one pot and share.

I asked why, she said: if you not give anything in the brown wallet to all staff, the cashier thinks you're a cheap charlie. Uhh, ok.

60 of a 340 bin is more than enough , imo, but i guess not.

I wanted to give the 60 in the hand to the waitress so she got all 

the cashier

The dreaded cashier.

Although their are a few cashiers I care for, Lek formerly of both Club 131 and So What spring to mind, most cashiers seem to have sour attitudes.

I don't want my tip money to going to these cashiers.

At Sally Bar, one of the ladyboys told us the cashier, Sally's brother, kept all the tips for himself.

I try to make sure that someone I like gets the tip money.  MY money.  MY choice.

Especially in the type of bars that cater to expats and long term visitors, such as the Rompho Bars in Jomtien where ladydrinks are not expected.  If a ladyboy has been attentive with a pleasant attitude, I might give her 100 baht and the bar zero.  Better for her to get 100 baht than a ladydrink.

• Upvote 1

According to those who know more than us mere mortals I am a notorious cheapskate apparently.  Suits me fine as I can now avoid begging bowls and other financial hassle requests without further damaging my reputation. :obscene:

Good for you , I kind of wondered how could just hang out here in LOS not working for like 3 months at a time

Good for you , I kind of wondered how could just hang out here in LOS not working for like 3 months at a time

It's quite easy if you don't go out on the lash every night, and live as normal a life as possible in a place like Pattaya.  Easily done on 20,000 a month covering everything. :drinks:

It's quite easy if you don't go out on the lash every night, and live as normal a life as possible in a place like Pattaya.  Easily done on 20,000 a month covering everything. :drinks:

Living with a Thai must help too , just having someone who speaks the language would definitely save time and money

I hate it when some people try to tell other people how they should spend their money.

If some people want to splash cash around and ring bells, up to them.  It's their money!

Others are on tight budgets and are careful with expenses, up to them.  It's their money!

I'm a Cheap Charlie although I prefer to think of it as living within my means.  I also like Lance's term "value for money".

My budget for daily expenses after rent is 500 baht a day or 15,000 baht a month.

This obviously does not allow for expensive farang food, at least not very often.   Or buying ladydrinks because some guy on some forum said that's what's expected of you.  Expect THIS.

This year I made the choice of upgrading my lodging.  Got tired of my teerak and I living in one room.  So my rent is an extra 250 baht a day.  I guess, I could suffer with one room and then buy ladydrinks when out on the town cause some guy on some forum said that's what I should do.

Other guys don't mind living in one room with their teerak.  Hey, I did that for the last 6 years. Up to them, it's their money,

Guys should do whatever the fuck they want to do with THEIR money and if someone tries to tell me what I should do with the money that I worked hard for then they can just go fuck themselves.  And the horse they rode in on!

So back to my budget. It might appear undoable. But there are many days when my only expense is cheap but delicious Thai food. 

That means the extra 400 baht can be applied to the next day or the day after.

Sure it'd be nice to have extra spending money.  Could go for massages etc.

But I don't feel deprived.

So maybe I walk home instead of springing for 10 baht on the baht bus.  Or hold it in rather that spending 5 baht for the bog.  My money, up to me.

• Upvote 3

In our scene we can give many of the Thais we meet every last baht we have. We can give them our total net worth if we want, then add in all of our marketable organs for good measure. It is always appreciated and welcomed with much love, happiness, merriment, warmth, and of course, sex. They have an art in making you feel intoxicated with your giving even to the point where you feel like you represent the second coming. However when the time comes (and it will), that you have no choice but to turn your pockets inside out, they move you from being a "loved/cherished one" to a "cheap charlie". And unless you keep providing milk you will remain as such until they deem you an unnecessary expense/liability/obstruction and an object to dispose of. Which they will do in quick measure. 

With that sober thought in mind, play safe and go out there to enjoy yourself.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

In our scene we can give many of the Thais we meet every last baht we have. We can give them our total net worth if we want, then add in all of our marketable organs for good measure. It is always appreciated and welcomed with much love, happiness, merriment, warmth, and of course, sex. They have an art in making you feel intoxicated with your giving even to the point where you feel like you represent the second coming. However when the time comes (and it will), that you have no choice but to turn your pockets inside out, they move you from being a "loved/cherished one" to a "cheap charlie". And unless you keep providing milk you will remain as such until they deem you an unnecessary expense/liability/obstruction and an object to dispose of. Which they will do in quick measure. 

With that sober thought in mind, play safe and go out there to enjoy yourself.  :biggrin:

Keen observation siamsam, however, I think it could be as applicable to ggs back home as well! 

There are also nice Thai lbs/ggs as well, so if you come across one during your journeys, be nice to them!

Keen observation siamsam, however, I think it could be as applicable to ggs back home as well! 

There are also nice Thai lbs/ggs as well, so if you come across one during your journeys, be nice to them!

I did not mean to paint with a wide brush. Of course there are nice Thai LBs/GGs and I have been involved with one for close to 5 years now.