Streaming/Downloading free movies

donnykey

I went down the Usenet path. It costs me $120 annually (always renew around black fri /cyber mon.) and provides for a full cord cutting experience. I gave up my netflix and hulu subscriptions and get all my TV and movies from Usenet. I can try and collect a few relevant links on how to setup an internet pvr with Usenet, SabNZB+, and Couchpotato if anyone's interested. 

• Upvote 2

I used to use usenet all the time to get stuff but once NZBMatrix got shut down it seemed like the feds had their sights set on usenet now, I did try another nzb indexing service but I found that a lot of stuff seemed to be getting DMCA takedowns, especially HBO stuff, even on a provider like blocknews

• Upvote 1

Usenet dates back to the very early days of the internet. You can think of it as a bunch of bulletin boards where people post and share content. Back in the old days ISPs (internet service providers) used to have dedicated servers for storing and serving Usenet content and it was bundled with your internet access plan. As it grew bigger and more media files started getting posted and shared on Usenet it made sense to setup companies focusing solely on storing and serving this content as a paid service. As you can imagine with new fresh content (e.g. latest episodes of a tv series) being constantly uploaded and shared Usenet providers run out of storage. The way they tackle it is with “Retention”. Retention refers to the time a file will be stored on the provider's servers starting with the day it was originally posted /shared. The current standard is around 2000 days. This means that any file that was uploaded over 2000 days ago will potentially get deleted from the servers.

Surprisingly Usenet providers have managed to circumvent anti-piracy takedowns and distant themselves from the content users post and share on their serves. The current status quo is that they will comply with specific DMCA requests but other than that they can keep running their servers pretty much uninterrupted.

The benefits of subscribing with a Usenet service provider over using torents:

1. Speed: you're getting the file from a service provider so theoretically you should be able to use your entire bandwidth capacity for the download. With torrents you are getting the file (or a piece of it) from a peer-user who is just another end user like yourself with a home computer and limited upload bandwidth.

2. Anonymity: since your connected to your provider using SSL, theoretically no one knows what you're downloading and can't come after you for pirating media, games, software, etc.

3. Quality of service: since it's a paid service there is significantly less crap and malware on usenet compared to torrents (i.e viruses, incorrect tagging of files, etc.).

If you want to get started with Usenet I suggest you read this article. It's old (2010) but covers all the basics. The user interface of SAB and other software tools mentioned in the article has since changed but you should be able to find youtube tutorials that will guide you through the configuration process. The other thing you should know is that the Usenet binary search site NZBMatrix covered in it has since closed shop, use NZBgeek.info (VIG indexer) instead or google for other alternatives. Still this is the one article I'd recommend you read before getting started.

• Upvote 3

I forgot to mention that you can and probably should use both Usenet and Torrents. I get most of my content from Usenet and only go to torrents when I can't find the file I'm looking for on Usenet. That's why I touched on retention in the first paragraph – old stuff and less popular content gets deleted from the servers once retention elapses

• Upvote 2

Kickass is good but you need a good anti virus . I use Trend also look for the quality ,Ts and Cam copy are shit if the movie is in Russian

format you need Freemake to convert to any format you want. BRR ,DVD,DVDSCR and HDCam are all good but some have hard coded

Subs .Just read the comments.

If anyone has any questions  just PM me.

• Upvote 1

Seems kickass lost it's domain. I'da figured Somalia would be hard to influence but they banned KA. Ain't worked for me in a couple days. So Pirate Bay down and reorganizing (might try oldpiratebay,) and like I figured, they're after the new #1, KickAss.

They're kinda back up a bit, but it seems TONS of old torrents are just dead and broke from all this. Bugs me, I have several good ones at 90%...ACK!

if you can't find some good movies on this one, you ain't lookin. I been DL'n the necessities for some time now suspecting the day would come (too soon) when torrents were a pain in the ass to find and complete. The sheer NUMBERS of ppl in the network was what made it work so good. Seems the thing now is to stream content.

https://yts.re/browse-movies?page=1

now these are small filesize movies and not usually HD big screen, fab audio stuff, but a lot of stuff I'm getting is old movies and I am after numbers not quality. I can get 2 of these or one HD big file. Sometimes more as that 3 gigger Donny was lookin for. Got 1 TB filled and goin for a second. Watch em on netbooks, often with a 17" monitor hooked in

• 1 month later...

This has been around for awhile but I just stumbled over it while researching iptv streaming material, so just between us....

popcorntime.io

It has a couple of other sites with different suffixes but this seems to be the main one (as in safe). It's pretty big & dead easy to use with a great interface. It uses torrents not streaming so it may take a bit of time to start up, not much by my experience, & for those of us living in the lands of litigation a vpn is always recommended for this type of thing. It was a open source project by a group of hackers who have recently moved on, it'll be interesting to see if the open source spirit is maintained in the (huge!) community or falls into disrepair or suffers the fate of Napster.

This has distracted me from the iptv/xbmc stuff I was just grasping at understanding, will get back to that soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...