Winter Storm Juno (and Jonas)

pdogg

Juno's on the way.

Could be the worst blizzard in New York City History.

If you don't have to get to work or shovel snow it's great!  Wish I was there.

Here are some of the worst blizzards in NYC history.

A historic blizzard is on track to hit southern New England and the northern mid-Atlantic — including Boston, New York City and possibly Philadelphia — early this week. A storm system will develop off the East Coast during the day Monday and throw back moisture into cold air Monday evening and into Tuesday. Snow may fall at a rate of 2 inches to 4 inches per hour in some spots.

But just how historic will the storm be? It could easily make the all-time top 10 in terms of snowfall in all three cities, and it may claim the No. 1 spot in Boston and New York.

New York City is under a blizzard warning for 20 to 30 inches of snow. The biggest snowstorm to ever hit New York dropped 26.9 inches of snow on Feb. 12 and 13, 2006, according to data going back to 1869. The snowy wallop was caused by mesoscale bands that pivoted over the city in the overnight hours.

Here are New York’s top 10 snowstorms:

1. Feb. 11-12, 2006 — 26.9 inches
  2. Dec. 26-27, 1947 — 26.4 inches
  3. March 12-14, 1888 — 21.0 inches
  4. Feb. 25-26, 2010 — 20.9 inches
  5. Jan. 7-8, 1996 — 20.2 inches
  6. Dec. 26-27, 2010 — 20.0 inches
  7. Feb. 16-17, 2003 — 19.8 inches
  8. Jan. 26-27, 2011 — 19.0 inches
  9. March 7-8, 1941 — 18.1 inches
  10. Dec. 26, 1872 — 18.0 inches

New York’s top 10 includes the “Blizzard of 1888″ (No. 3), the “Blizzard of 1996″ (No. 5) and, most recently, the “Snowicane” of 2010 (No. 4). The Blizzard of 1888 was responsible for many deaths and was one impetus for the construction of the city’s underground subway system, while the historic Blizzard of 1996 dumped snow from Washington, D.C., to southern New England. Both featured heavy winds.

If the National Weather Service is dead-on accurate (not a sure thing), the coming blizzard will make it into New York’s top six at a minimum. As long as a foot and a half of snow falls, this storm will be tied for the 10th spot with an 1872 storm none of us was alive to see.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-east-coast-may-be-about-to-get-one-of-the-worst-blizzards-its-ever-seen/

I have several limes & fresh bottles of gin & tonic standing by to use for this emergency. We had a decent typical snowstorm all afternoon dropping several inches & a lull for several hours & now it's just starting up again but with more wind. They're talking about all night & most of tomorrow getting hit.... & I don't have to shovel anymore... whee! 

Fook, we are going to hit with, and I quote "as much as 6cm"

Is that length or girth?

Seems like your worst blizzard was in 1947

post-45-0-74145700-1422344397_thumb.jpg

Anyone who lived through the blizzard of 1947 will always have it ingrained in their memory. The harsh conditions and the scarcity of fuel and food made life difficult for both man and beast.

The extreme weather began at the end of February 1947 and continued well into the month of March. The snow and wind were quite severe on the last Friday in February.

The snow fell intermittently until the Monday, when a blizzard set in with strong cold winds and harsh daytime snows – this continued for twenty-four hours nonstop. The blizzard was driven by a fierce east wind and swept the country on the Tuesday.

It paralyzed road and rail services and brought all traffic to a standstill. Huge snow-drifts, some up to fifteen feet high, were common in many areas.

The cold weather began around the middle of February and lasted through March. Up to 600 people are said to have died.

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/the-five-worst-irish-storms-of-all-times-remembered-134108798-237741051.html#

Juno and the Paycock...............??????

Today a high of 77 F in the desert for Media Day...............

Still no need for socks on my old feet.........................

But I will have to shovel a little heat so I can get my car outta the garage.........................

Just got back from shoveling out the car.  It wasnt too bad at all.  The snow was a fluffy type so it was easy to move!!

Cannot believe some people are giving the officials grief.  Now I am not a fan of our current mayor.  In fact I think he is an utter clown but he doesnt deserve any criticism.  It was razor close and just luck that the city didnt get hammered.  Only 40 miles east they did, indeed, get two feet of snow!  Imagine if he did nothing and the city got hammered????

• Upvote 1

Now I am not a fan of our current mayor.  In fact I think he is an utter clown but he doesnt deserve any criticism.  It was razor close and just luck that the city didnt get hammered.  Only 40 miles east they did, indeed, get two feet of snow!  Imagine if he did nothing and the city got hammered????

There are people in Queens who still haven't forgiven Mayor Lindsay for his slow response to a big snowstorm that left some Queens sois unplowed for days.

How the hell did Arch get to the loading dock?

According to Jimmy Breslin, the only reason he got re-elected was his visibility in the Met's locker room when they won the '69 World Series.

• 11 months later...

It was a right pounding-of snow that is.  They predicted about 8-12 in NY City but we got anywhere from 21-26 inches!!!  Where I live it must have been at least two feet.  The sidewalks are pretty clear.  My association does a good, timely job at clearing the snow.  Got a start at digging out the car.  Got up early today (as I have been working early) and dug for 45 minutes.  That only got me to the drivers door, cleared off a bit of the hood and the roof and cleared a small section in front of the vehicle.  The problem is they have NOT yet cleared the small alley in front of the car that gives me access to the road.

As of last night the city hadnt plowed the road and it was totally impassable.  Its a small road after all BUT they got to it during the night.  I have to say the city seems to do a pretty good job at clearing the roads.  The highways and main blvds are done first of course.  It was impossible to keep things clear as it snowed non stop for over 24 hours and it came down at a decent clip.  There were high winds in NJ Md and DC but not so much where I live.

I got back from a trip at 100 pm on Friday and didnt leave the house til 700 this morning-Sunday. And that was just to shovel some of the car out.....No chance of getting a Sunday paper and still ahve enough food for today.  Supposed to work tomorrow.  Flights should be resuming now but theres a hell of a backlog.

It was some storm!!!!

• Upvote 1