Scotland

SiamSam

If this goes the way of the Yes vote later today it will feel to me like the time the Iron Curtain fell and the end of apartheid in South Africa. Many just took these things for granted and presumed they were more or less permanent and suddenly they were gone, real historical moments that altered our perception of the world. Can you imagine waking up tomorrow morning and the Britain you have know all your life is no more...now that will be something to get your head around if it happens.

• Upvote 1

Some would say that the  Nation state is coming to a close.. 

Look at the EU for starters .. a transnational body with huge powers . Also Worldwide the City State may make a comeback according to many commentators .. look no further than London for that who will benefit hugely if the Scots vote Yes and will also now look to devolution themselves from the rest of the UK if a YES vote happens (DEVO MAX). I think in New York they already keep 50% of the tax for themselves - The Genii is out of the bottle as they say

Worldwide most people live in big cities and a trend that is with us for a long time as more and more live in the Concrete jungle..the City state may be in for a comeback.

• Upvote 1

If Scotland goes it will be largely due to the 16 to 18 year old vote IMO. Most young people want change for change sake and seldom think things through or have the life experience to fully comprehend the long term consequences of their choices. 

yes sam,by reducing the voting age to coincide with this referendum,the YES lobby hoped it would swing the result their way.....i still think the NO camp will win the day.....as has been said, a Yes vote could have a domino effect all over europe.....

btw,,,,,this  idea for a referendum came from tony blair....he didnt have a referendum to get us out of the common market...or have a referendum to ask whether we wanted to go to war in iraq 

The stats I saw were that the 16-18 year ol vote made up less than 2% of the electorate.  Now, granted, if its razor close then this small block could make a difference.

Now I am watching some of the early coverage and I had a question.  Do they not do "exit polling" in the UK??  Once polls are closed news organizations can call an election most of the time.  the only cases where they can not call them are when they are so very close....

Good news for the UK, and the majority of the Scots who voted. Very impressive that 97% of eligible voters registered to vote in this referendum and 86% turned out to vote.

Interestingly the Quebec sovereignists were consultants to the yes side and are claiming it will revive hopes and sentiment for the Quebec independence movement, as the yes side moved from around 30% to over 40% in just a few months. I hope they are wrong.

The stats I saw were that the 16-18 year ol vote made up less than 2% of the electorate.  Now, granted, if its razor close then this small block could make a difference.

Now I am watching some of the early coverage and I had a question.  Do they not do "exit polling" in the UK??  Once polls are closed news organizations can call an election most of the time.  the only cases where they can not call them are when they are so very close....

I think I heard some commentator saying there was none for this referendum but i not sure how it is for other votes in the UK.