Name that country

JaiDee

Here's another one to keep us going. Can anyone name this city, less than 20 of its 180 or so towers still standing. The second pic being an artists rendition of this medieval 'Manhattan'.

I am sitting here amused at how I let my logical brain be persuaded your picture was San Gimignano. One, you ask for the name of the CITY, San Gimignano is no city. The urban sprawl seen in your picture is nothing like the reality of SG. Second, there isn't a tower in SG that stands out like the one in the picture.

Both those thoughts crossed my mind but I was swayed to answer when I read the clue "medieval Manhattan". I felt sure I had heard SG referred to as that. So against the evidence pointing against SG being the right answer, so great was my need to be heard before PDogg remembered, I rushed in where angels fear to tread.

I've covered much of northern Italy but I have never been to Bologna. I do make a mean Spag Bol though, do I get a consolation prize for that?

• Upvote 1

I am sitting here amused at how I let my logical brain be persuaded your picture was San Gimignano. One, you ask for the name of the CITY, San Gimignano is no city. The urban sprawl seen in your picture is nothing like the reality of SG. Second, there isn't a tower in SG that stands out like the one in the picture.

Both those thoughts crossed my mind but I was swayed to answer when I read the clue "medieval Manhattan". I felt sure I had heard SG referred to as that. So against the evidence pointing against SG being the right answer, so great was my need to be heard before PDogg remembered, I rushed in where angels fear to tread.

I've covered much of northern Italy but I have never been to Bologna. I do make a mean Spag Bol though, do I get a consolation prize for that?

To be fair the medieval manhattan clue was a bit misleading as San Gimignano has been called that. As for your spag bol skills, not sure, maybe a bonus point :) 

Any takes for the futuristic buildings on the previous page?

I will try Bilbao in Spain, I hear they have some trippy-looking buildings there B)

Right country JD, its Valencia, they built this mad city of arts and science costing €1 billion. Its some place but all those buildings are designed by Santiago Caltrava who ended up pocketing a nice 100 million for his troubles and the city nearly bankrupt

• Upvote 1

Never been, but its  very high on my wish-list

What I meant by "most of us have been there" is that for North Americans we've pretty much all stopped there on our way to BKK, it's a common layover destination.

Spent 5 days there once, in Tokyo......it was OK but I wouldn't go back, too expensive.

What I meant by "most of us have been there" is that for North Americans we've pretty much all stopped there on our way to BKK, it's a common layover destination.

Spent 5 days there once, in Tokyo......it was OK but I wouldn't go back, too expensive.

Ah, ok. Euroflights take another route, yes. 

I dunno, i see photos of  cherrytrees in blossom, the beautiful nature, the buildings etc , i really do have an itch to go there, if only for a week or so.

Yeah, it's a cool place to be sure,  but the Japanese are kind of rude [most big city people are, I can't hold it against them for that] and in such a hurry! And as I said, super-expensive;  my hotel was like 250/night for a small room.

Nice country I am sure, but way out of my budget these days!