The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

circa 1971 a European Country ordered 50,000 hair nets for its Soldiers as they were basically a bunch of hippies and so on . The Country is now the 8th biggest arms exporter in the world although you would not think so

I guess if after 24 hours no one gets it we publish the answer..

Anyway the Answer was Sweden..i took this from a new book out called the Nordic Miracle , they had some Trivia. 

Where does the term "Son of a gun" originate? 

During the era of high sea bandits, marauders, and pirates a crew would be out sailing on the ocean plundering and fighting for months at a time. Hard work, bad food, rationed whisky and no women. They were ready to party once they reached the next port. However the captain knew if he docked in the harbour his crew would leave the ship for town and he ran the serious risk of losing them. Many would simply not return to the boat. So upon reaching a port, rather than taking that risk, the captain would anchor off shore and arrange to have the women and booze rowed out to the ship. There his crew could party to their hearts content and when it was all over the captain would still have an intact crew, albeit spent and hung over. 

Many of the crew slept in hammocks. The hammocks were strung between the rows of cannons. As such, crew men would take their wenches back to the hammocks for fun and frolic. Needless to say many of those ladies discovered they were pregnant after the ship and crew were long gone.

So, "son of a gun" was a perjorative and condescending phrase hurled at someone you wished to insult or degrade. It basically meant your mother was a whore who fucked sailors who slept between the guns (cannons). Hence you're a "son of a gun". Very insulting indeed.

I too grew up thinking "son of a gun" was a polite way of saying "son of a bitch" like when we substitute "darn" for "damn" or "shoot" for "shit". But in fact it is even more insulting than "son of a bitch". At least "son of a bitch" is calling your mother a dog and not a whore. 

Many of the sayings we use today have nautical/marine origins. "3 square meals" a day derives from sailing also. All meals on a ship were served in square platters (plates) with a high ridge/border on the 4 sides. This prevented the food from rolling off the plates. Hence 3 squares a day.

Ditto for the saying: "He's as dangerous as a "loose cannon". Nothing would be more dangerous on board a ship than having a cannon become loose while sailing on a rolling sea. If a cannon dislodged from its locked position it would roll about from side to side, up and down the deck while crushing men's limbs and eventually breaking through one of the ship's sides. Cardinal rule # 1, NO LOOSE CANNONS!!!

• Upvote 2

London was beaten by Berlin and Vienna

Over 1000 new web endings will roll out this year according to some news reports therefore i guess the other big cities will surely follow . Also .scot and .irish are in the queue, its not just city names but a varied bunch of themes. The D Telegraph called it the Internet Big Bang

Cyber squatting will be endemic i think

I got the information from Saturday UK Daily Telegraph, i still got the copy here. I certainly was not going to re check this out as i assumed its correct

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/10639634/Brave-new-web-the-domain-revolution.html

Hundreds of these so-called generic Top-Level Domains (gTLDs) have rolled out since February 4, from شبكة. (.web in Arabic) to .sexy, .technology and .singles. London will become one of the first cities in the world to have its own domain name, when .london opens to the public on April 29, narrowly beaten by the existing Berlin and Vienna domains.