The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

In what country is the Skelton Coast located?

Red Skelton? There's a name for fans of American comics of the mid 20th century. He had his own TV show.

I don't think they named a coast line after him but if you mean the Skeleton Coast, it's somewhere around Liberia.

Namibia

Faark! Willie is correct. I looked it up because I wasn't sure & when I saw the map I realised I knew it from school days but I couldn't match up the area of coast with the correct country. I could have pointed to it on a map, do I get half a point for that?

Namibia

Faark! Willie is correct. I looked it up because I wasn't sure & when I saw the map I realised I knew it from school days but I couldn't match up the area of coast with the correct country. I could have pointed to it on a map, do I get half a point for that?

Incidentally,Namibia was a German colony in Africa.(the only one?)....and like all colonialists,they treated the natives abonimably...

How about Seward's other folly:

Here's three questions about the Madison Square Park, Flatiron area.  You win if you get just one right!

What "high end fast food joint" is on the southeast corner of Madison Square Park?

or

How did the phrase 23 skidoo originate?

or

What were two future locations of Madison Square Garden?

We'll make this easier by only having to name one of the two locations in the third question.

OK, the "fast food" joint question may be too easy for a local & too local for a non resident, suffice to say they have a webcam where you can check out the length of the line before deciding whether to spend your lunch hour waiting on it. (Tasty food tho)

I think I remember reading a long time ago that "23 skidoo" was the term applied to people thrown out of the saloons that used to line 23rd Street back when it was NYC's "Tenderloin" district, was that like 19th century or perhaps early 20th century?

Don't know the 3rd answer but I have been to 2 MSG locations. They should move to a new one because when they built the current abomination they destroyed one of the great buildings of NYC, Penn Station, & that's what started the architectural landmark preservation movement in the US, I believe Jackie Kennedy was prominent in that.

OK, the "fast food" joint question may be too easy for a local & too local for a non resident, suffice to say they have a webcam where you can check out the length of the line before deciding whether to spend your lunch hour waiting on it. (Tasty food tho)

I think I remember reading a long time ago that "23 skidoo" was the term applied to people thrown out of the saloons that used to line 23rd Street back when it was NYC's "Tenderloin" district, was that like 19th century or perhaps early 20th century?

Don't know the 3rd answer but I have been to 2 MSG locations. They should move to a new one because when they built the current abomination they destroyed one of the great buildings of NYC, Penn Station, & that's what started the architectural landmark preservation movement in the US, I believe Jackie Kennedy was prominent in that.

As locals know the Shake Shack, part of Danny Meyer's empire is the fast food joint in the park.

The two MSG (hope that's not one of Danny's ingredients) locations I've been to are 49th & 8th and the Penn Station location.  I loved the old location and saw Knicks and rangers games there, seating was more rectangular while the Penn venue is slightly more oval.

The most widely believed origin of 23 skidoo is

It is at a triangular site where Broadway and Fifth Avenue—the two most important streets of New York—meet at Madison Square, and because of the juxtaposition of the streets and the park across the street, there was a wind-tunnel effect here. In the early twentieth century, men would hang out on the corner here on Twenty-third Street and watch the wind blowing women's dresses up so that they could catch a little bit of ankle. This entered into popular culture and there are hundreds of postcards and illustrations of women with their dresses blowing up in front of the Flatiron Building. And it supposedly is where the slang expression "23 skidoo" comes from because the police would come and give the voyeurs the 23 skidoo to tell them to get out of the area

• Upvote 1

It was originally called the Doomvault or Doomsday Vault in English language newspapers . Like a Fortress Of Solitude and not so far from the North Pole or in that vicinity anyway , i think a thousand miles or so ( approximate)

Where is it ? ( what Country)

whats in it  ?

post-405-0-64164700-1397787400_thumb.jpg

I remember seeing this on Discovery Channel. It is in Iceland, and serves as a repository to store all the known plant seed varieties, with particular emphasis on food crops,  This was established in case mankind (ie Putin) did something extremely stupid like start WWIII, or a comet hits the earth.

correct RX and well done, but not the Country  (paccers was close-ish but the Island is still pretty remote)

Doom Vault

Its called  the Svalbard globale frøhvelv in Norway and its on the Island of Spitsbergen and is a cold store for every kind of seed should some be wiped out by war or whatever. The Prime minister of Iceland may have laid the first stone , i know he was at the opening 

During the second world war one of the the Nazis main aim in Russia was to get there hands on the Russian Seed banks and many lives were lost in this mission , on both sides.

If a third world war started no clues to where Putin would be pointing on his map

correct RX and well done, but not the Country  (paccers was close-ish but the Island is still pretty remote)

Doom Vault

Its called  the Svalbard globale frøhvelv in Norway and its on the Island of Spitsbergen and is a cold store for every kind of seed should some be wiped out by war or whatever. The Prime minister of Iceland may have laid the first stone , i know he was at the opening 

During the second world war one of the the Nazis main aim in Russia was to get there hands on the Russian Seed banks and many lives were lost in this mission , on both sides.

If a third world war started no clues to where Putin would be pointing on his map

forgive my ignorance-but why would the Nazis want seed banks? Where were these seed banks located....?

it was in New Scientist around 2008  ish and thats where i see the Doomvault write up. Also that have had various documentaries on TV about the Nazis that include the quest for the seedbanks that they wanted to feed the expanded German population when they took over Russia 

The Seedvaults have all the different strains of seeds and obvious some are better than others for different types of land etc.

I think The Russians had more than one but the story about Leninigrad is one example . Both the Iraq and Afghanistan seedvaults were destroyed in the recent conflicts

That's a shoe, made for a Chinese lady whose feet were mutilated when she was a child in order to make a smaller foot profile. The practice is generally referred to as foot binding, which describes the process up to a point. First, the bones in the foot are broken, then the foot is twisted to the desired shape (through about 90°, if I recall correctly), & then the foot is wrapped tightly to ensure that it retains the desired shape. A horrible practice that has largely died out, thankfully.

Oh, & the reason the shoe is in the exhibition is that Chinese men found extremely small feet arousing. Perverts.

i did see an old newsreel (silent movie era ) of a lady who had her feet bound.I saw her walking around....a most curious delicate gait she had....i found it quite attractive i must say,so i can understand why it was done(by the aristocracy and Imperial family were the main culprits i believe)....there is a description of it being done in the book Wild Swans....

• Upvote 1