Aeon Bank Now Charging 150 B?

bumblebee

There is now an announcement on the Aeaon website that states:

AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) Public Company Limited (AEONTS) would like to inform that cash withdrawal transaction on electronic cards issued by foreign banks at AEON’s ATM will be imposed 150 THB of access fee per transaction and 20 THB per transaction for all electronic cards issued by card issuer companies in Thailand.

*** The extra fee other than the above rate will be charged by card issuer ***

http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/unsec/custSrv/custServicesChannel.do?channelId=-9294&selectedChannels=-8758,-8757,-9294&lang=en

BUT Tripadvisor says this

AEON ATMs can be difficult to find, but do not charge the 150 baht fee and do not try to offer Dynamic Currency Conversion. (Although AEON has announced on its website that it is charging the 150 baht fee, ATM withdrawals are still fee-free as of late December 2013.) You can find the location of AEON's ATMs throughout Thailand on its website.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand:Banks.And.Money.html

Such a shame these banks continually have to fuck us over.

I used Aeon all the time in my most recent trip in LOS. Coupled with my fee free 28 degrees c/c from GE in OZ, i avoided all fees. (Terminal 21 in BKK, and Big C Pattaya Klang)

Now Aeon looks like its lost and 28 degrees will soon be charging 3% cash advance fee even if im using my own funds.... :mad0245:

Citibank looks the way to go in Philipines. Fee fee withdrawal and they have branches in Manila and Angeles city. :yahoo:

No avoiding currency fees as far as i can figure.

There is now an announcement on the Aeaon website that states:

AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) Public Company Limited (AEONTS) would like to inform that cash withdrawal transaction on electronic cards issued by foreign banks at AEON’s ATM will be imposed 150 THB of access fee per transaction and 20 THB per transaction for all electronic cards issued by card issuer companies in Thailand.

*** The extra fee other than the above rate will be charged by card issuer ***

http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/unsec/custSrv/custServicesChannel.do?channelId=-9294&selectedChannels=-8758,-8757,-9294&lang=en

That's on the ATM tab and does specify a staring date.

On the Credit Card tab it states

ÆON Thana Sinsap Public Company Limited Interest, Usage Fee and Other Fee of Credit Card This fee rate is started from 1 January 2014

so "maybe" this is effective as of January 1.

Sad to see, but I'm sure Aeon Bank administration saw the increasing amount of foreign ATM bank cards being used in their system. It was only a matter of time. They use to have an upper limit of 30k Baht withdrawals as well, but this year reduced it to the usual 20k Baht most other banks follow.

I remember reading in one of the ex-pat forums that Citibank ATMs don't charge the fee either - the big drawback is there are very few of them in LOS. Can anyone confirm?

I remember reading in one of the ex-pat forums that Citibank ATMs don't charge the fee either - the big drawback is there are very few of them in LOS. Can anyone confirm?

I'm pretty sure they do, but if you have a citi a/c that you are withdrawing from then the ATM fee is waived as per my comment about Phils.

"With a Citibank Plus account, enjoy fee free ATM withdrawals at all Citibank ATMs worldwide." (oz account name)

http://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/travelling-overseas.htm

http://www.findmyciti.com/

I noticed today while strolling to the toilets behind the bank of ATM's at Big C extra, that the usual queue of mostly foreigners had dwindled to just a Thai girl trying to use the atm.    I am by the way referring to the Aeon ATM.  

Incidentally,  Just as an FYI,  a load of ATM's had run out of cash in Big C by 4pm this afternoon.    I expect they will all be suffering from everybody withdrawing large amounts with the NY holiday.  

• Upvote 1

Citibank didn't use to charge a fee in Thailand but they do now. I had heard for a long time though that Citi gave a bad exchange rate. A few weeks ago I used an AEON ATM in Terminal 21 and then walked down to Suk/Asok to use the Citi ATM to compare the rates. But the ATM informed me there was a 150 baht fee so I didn't make the transaction. I later read somewhere the rates in Thailand at Citi were still not so good even with the 150 baht fee in place. I have no idea how this affects actual Citi customers as I was using a non Citi foreign card.  

I've heard Krungsri ATMs will give out 30k baht at a time. Anyone know if that is true?

• Upvote 1

I've heard Krungsri ATMs will give out 30k baht at a time. Anyone know if that is true?

Think it's 25K but not really sure.

I have an account there and using their card to withdraw baht from my baht account I don't need to take the max out at a time to avoid fees.  Usually I take out 900 baht at a time to avoid getting a 1000 baht note.

But I think last year it was 20K baht at a time.

It's also possible that newer machines can spit out more bills than older machines.

• Upvote 1

Bangkok Bank ATMs would dispense up to 25k Baht. Aeon use to dispense up to 30k baht until this year. Most other ATMs, SCB, Kasikorn Bank, Bank of Ayudhya and Goverment Savings Bank, dispense up to 20k Baht.

The limit is set by the bank, not the machine, except perhaps 30K baht might have been the maximum due to the thickness of the bills. Of course it also depends on your home bank withdrawal limits - some are just $500 CAD or US per day, others are $1000.00

I'm not sure about Kungsri, as I haven't tried their ATMs yet.

• Upvote 1

I have a debt card that will reimburse me for the ATM fees now but thought I would cut them a break and use a 30k ATM if one exists. If not then a 25k ATM. I put that money into my Kasikorn account and use my K Bank card in the same mannor as pdogg.

For those in the USA you can open an account at Schwab Bank, via their free brokerage account, and they will reimburse your ATM fees and charge no foreign transaction fees. The card has a $1,000 a day cash limit so you can max out any Thai ATM's single transaction limit (at least at current exchange rates).

• Upvote 1

I'm in PP now and go to the Sorya mall and use the Canadia Bank ATMs. There is one inside next to the bank and one outside in it's own little booth. Since my card doesn't charge a fee I went there a couple of days ago and did several US$90 pulls so I wouldn't have to try and change US$100 bills. Changing $100 isn't as hard as it use to be but many places still don't like too see them. 

I think all the ATMs in Cambo despense US$.

• 3 weeks later...

ive been using the aeon machines at an actual aeon bank(!) here in chiang mai...the bank is on the 3rd floor central festival  about 4/5 km from the thapae gate(i'm staying out here) anyway....ive done 3 or four withdrawals since the new year,and it always says "there is no charge for this service" on the atm.....Being a brand new bank(this cental festival has only opened 2/3 months) I asked the young lady behind the counter were there any plans to charge a fee....or change their no fee policy......not to her knowledge ,she was puzzled by the question....i told her i asked because there was a thread on ladyboyreview about it......ok....i made the last bit up....

• Upvote 1

I asked the young lady behind the counter were there any plans to charge a fee....or change their no fee policy......not to her knowledge ,she was puzzled by the question....i told her i asked because there was a thread on ladyboyreview about it......

:crazy:

Good to know Aeon seems to be still OK in Thailand.

Same same for Canadia in Cambodia.

I last used their atm in Big C Pattaya Klang Road about 10m days ago and there was no fee...........only problem is that their atm is almost permanently offline......otherwise I would have used it a lot more.

Does anyone know where else I can find Aeon atm in Pattaya?

There used to be another one in front of Home Pro/World(Pdogg will know which one) beside BigC on Pattaya Tai, but when I was there about 6 weeks ago it was gone, but I could not find out if this was permanent or just for maintenance.  I agree the one in BigC Extra is a 50/50 most times regarding being out of order and a real pain when you go out of your way to use it.