Favorite Musicians No One's Ever Heard Of

pdogg

Bert Jansch... Some of the older hands may be 'on him', but hardly anyone I know has ever heard of him, in spite of him being a huge influence on Robert Plant, of all people, believe it or not... I'm quite sure eveyone's going to hate him, but I've heard he's actually touring with Neil Young this summer?

This first was a 1966 folk anthem, 'Needle of death', not the happiest of tunes, but it certainly stays with you.

And the second is, 'Black Waterslide'... As it should be sung... He actually got pretty pissed off with Jimmy Page & Led Zepplin for what they did to it.

Whilst I'm in wrist cutting mode let's move swiftly on to Robert Wyatt, ex 'Soft Machine' doing a number that Elvis Costello wrote for him to sing. I'm hoping not to be too obscure with my choices as I think it's kinda nice if one or two of you might know the artist.

And here he is Robert Wyatt with 'Matching Mole' 1972... This one wastes me!.. But again, I'm not sure I'd expect anyone else to like it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQMO8wpAvo

And lifting the mood a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69_4phKV8Nk

And then hopefully carrying on in the same vein Frontera with another reasonably obscure favorite of mine 'Phil Manzanera'

Fuck it, I ain't finished yet... Sam Carty: Brother Man... thhis is the original that

And for now let's finish up with John Zorn... Absolutely everyone who's anyone wants to play with this bloke, but whenever I talk to anyone about him, no one seems to know who the fuck he is??

Some good choices, guys. Zorn being the best thus far -- The godhead of the avant-garde world. The most important musician that probably just about nobody knows but you, Lung... Good on ya.

Worked with him for a few years in my ol' Knitting Factory days. A royal asshole, to be sure, but prodigious with the goods... Man, how that dude was worshipped by all. You weren't allowed to say a bad word about him.

One of the most mesmerizing shows I've ever seen in my life was Zorn's Masada quartet (considered by some to be the best working "jazz" outfit of the time) at the Angel Orensanz Foundation (an old gutted Cathedral in lower Manhattan; pictured below). Sun setting through the stained glass behind them performing on the alter. That was a "New York Moment" if ever there was one...

post-109-016012300 1301444519.jpg

One of the most mesmerizing shows I've ever seen in my life was Zorn's Masada quartet (considered by some to be the best working "jazz" outfit of the time) at the Angel Orensanz Foundation (an old gutted Cathedral in lower Manhattan; pictured below). Sun setting through the stained glass behind them performing on the alter. That was a "New York Moment" if ever there was one...

Abbazia di San Galgano is a great place to see a concert. How old is it? So old, the cathedral has no roof. Doesn't get much better than music under the stars surrounded by walls 700 years old.

post-45-081005600 1301454895.jpg

Since we're talking about churches, Limelight was an interesting joint, was at their opening party in 1983 though in later years it catered to a bridge and tunnel crowd.

post-45-091106000 1301455047.jpg

Some good choices, guys. Zorn being the best thus far -- The godhead of the avant-garde world. The most important musician that probably just about nobody knows but you, Lung... Good on ya.

Worked with him for a few years in my ol' Knitting Factory days. A royal asshole, to be sure, but prodigious with the goods... Man, how that dude was worshipped by all. You weren't allowed to say a bad word about him.

FarangBah, you're doing a JaiDee on me... I'm impressed to fuck!... You haven't just heard of him, you've actually worked with him!.. And you know 'Masada Guitars too!!.. We need to speak more of this, but I've got a plane to catch to 'Tittyland'!

Just to be staying within the same vein, here's John Martyn, again, yet another favorite of mine who's sadly no longer with us... And just the same as Zorn a talent appreciated way, way, way more by the musicians than he ever was by the public. I've been to gigs of his around my way where he's turned up drunk after getting in fist fights & all of that sort of nonsence... And when I moved out of London to the South Coast he was there too, unfortunatley with his legs cut off through his alcoholism... Anyway, here he is with a very early 70's hit.. 'May you never'... This one shreads me up too!

some great choices there Lung...ive heard/know them all except,Paul de Lay(liked it)and Zorn-im not a jazz fan-its what Frank Zappa called "unemployment music"

here's Ian Dury,ive only ever met one Yank who'd heard of him....a polio sufferer who was the front man in a rock band...what are the odds of that...one of his lesser known songs,butone of my favourites...I know you will know him well Lung...you're from not too far away from Billericay methinx.

SORRY guys-can't seem to get the uploading right.....click on the links yourself

some great choices there Lung...ive heard/know them all except,Paul de Lay(liked it)and Zorn-im not a jazz fan-its what Frank Zappa called "unemployment music"

here's Ian Dury,Ive only ever met one Yank who'd heard of him....a polio sufferer who was the front man in a rock band...what are the odds of that...one of his lesser known songs,butone of my favourites...I know you will know him well Lung...you're from not too far away from Billericay methinx.

SORRY guys-can't seem to get the uploading right.....click on the links yourself

Ok, as we're now sticking with the obscure 'invalid' musicians now... Here's number 3 Tim Buckley, he had a withered hand... This track wastes me too! I would have posted him before, but I wasn't sure he was obscure enough?

And you're right Billericy ain't too far away from my neck of the woods.

I loved Ian Dury myself & I used to see his old band 'Kilburn & the High Roads' before he joined them... The only thing I couldn't get on with was the silly fake cockney acsent... Do you know he used to be a lecturer at Canterbury Art colege... And funnily enough I did my Art Foundation at the next Art college down the road which was 'Medway' & we used to get Brian Eno (slightly obscure) turning up & doing lectures for free

Great name 'Willy the Pimp'... You're obviously a Beefheart man... And i think I might just know who you are?.. If it is you PM me & you might just get that cartoon?

P.S. Zapper actually did do some jazz with John Luke DuPontie (obscure)... It weren't half bad.

No-one's ever heard of Tim Buckley?

Jeezuz, I am not getting this thread at all.

I posted a couple of names obviously really truly no-one had heard of and that was the end of that. No more comment. Totally ignored.

(Foolishly, stupidly, not knowing what the thread was up to, I expected replies like: hey, Ken, never heard of him...) Ha!

But you guys are posting (or some of you are) names so well known and well, ...

maybe many FMs haven't heard of them, but jeezuz,...

I went to You Tube as Larry (so kindly) said to do, but being an old fart who pales in fear the next step after the on/off button is negotiated, I couldn't figure out what to do. The magic little box that makes noise I was trying to download was:

Professor Longhair singing Tipitina.

Now I'll bet ya aint never hearda that...

(PS: I got it up on screen - thanks Larry - but there was no help to tell the old bugger how to get it pasted into a thread on LBR) Larry, don't be cross with me - I'll have to go read your kind post again.

Like I said, I really do not know what this thread is really saying.

If names like Tim Buckley can crop up as unheard of.

Makes me wonder what FMs would think of a name like Stan Getz (nicknamed The Sound).

In a female singers thread here I listed Astrud Gilberto to stunned silence.

One of my favourite singers.

Stan Getz introduced her to the West (or should that be to the USA)

as she was already a star in her native Brazil.

And thay made genteel cool music before cool was cool.

This all circa 1955 or so - and onwards - as I recall, but correct me.

Both professionals, and amateur players - like Bill Clinton - all seem to agree that Stan Getz was the greatest sax player who ever lived.

So what am I saying? Hoo noze?

Just perplexed by musicians folks have/or are supposed to not have/ heard of...

And you're right Billericy ain't too far away from my neck of the woods.

I loved Ian Dury myself & I used to see his old band 'Kilburn & the High Roads' before he joined them... The only thing I couldn't get on with was the silly fake cockney acsent... Do you know he used to be a lecturer at Canterbury Art colege... And funnily enough I did my Art Foundation at the next Art college down the road which was 'Medway' & we used to get Brian Eno (slightly obscure) turning up & doing lectures for free

Great name 'Willy the Pimp'... You're obviously a Beefheart man... And i think I might just know who you are?.. If it is you PM me & you might just get that cartoon?

P.S. Zapper actually did do some jazz with John Luke DuPontie (obscure)... It weren't half bad.

Yeah I know Tim Buckley,he went too soon....also Nick Drake..remember him,of a similar ilk...

Very impressed with the kilburn and the high roads info lung,so he affected a cockney accent did he??sorry,all southern accents sound like cockney to me..I wouldnt know the difference....yeah I knew Ian Dury went to art school-his tutor was actually Peter Blake who did the Sgt Peppers album cover for the Beatles.I saw Ian live with the blockheads about 6 months before he died...great band.

As for unknown musicians,Capt.Beefheart died last December,I said to loads of people "i see capt.beefheart is dead"....no-one had heard of him...americans and brits alike.

Zappa did a double cd entitled "jazz from hell"...but like everything Zappa did,it doesnt sound anything like the jazz they play in pretentious hotels...

[/media]

I posted a couple of names obviously really truly no-one had heard of and that was the end of that. No more comment. Totally ignored.

(Foolishly, stupidly, not knowing what the thread was up to, I expected replies like: hey, Ken, never heard of him...) Ha!

I went to You Tube as Larry (so kindly) said to do, but being an old fart who pales in fear the next step after the on/off button is negotiated, I couldn't figure out what to do. The magic little box that makes noise I was trying to download was:

(PS: I got it up on screen - thanks Larry - but there was no help to tell the old bugger how to get it pasted into a thread on LBR) Larry, don't be cross with me - I'll have to go read your kind post again.

Im familiar with Tom Waits ken...ive heard a lot of his stuff-with me its so hit and miss...some of his songs i love ,and some leave me cold...i'm having trouble uploading videolso..im gonna try and upload "chocolate Jesus" by Tom Waits,just for you ken...fingers crossed

PLEASE MODS-Post a tutorial onhow to copy/paste you tube videos

Jeezus... Sorry Ken

I actually stated that I didn't think Tim Buckley was obscure enough, but I stuck him up because of his withered hand & that was because we'd ended up with what is now 4 choices who were unfortunately invalided.

I've known Tom Waits for years & like the Pimp I think he's hit or miss & I much prefer his acting, he just ain't obscure.

I know Astrud Gilberto & Stan Getz too, but to my mind, not obscure either.

Now I actually took it upon myself to post 'slightly obscure' artists because I figured the thread would have more legs on it if FM's can get a few choices.... the problem with artists that absolutely no one has herd of is that they're usually shit... but hey, sorry for ruining the thread & not responding mate. I suppose with a limited amount of time I'm only looking at the downloads I can see, when maybe I should be helping you to get them up myself. Again, sorry mate.

Anyway, here's longhair for you & Tom Waits doing Waltzing Matilda... as you’re an Aussie

Finally, what's obscure on your side of the world might not be so obscure on my side of the world & 'viccy vercie'... Plus, ‘The Pimp’ & I found each other’s choices of interest. No doubt predominantly because we’re from geographically & culturally similar environments.

Right, I'm off out to buy an ice cream, I’m on holiday for fucks sake.

Ok, you've probably heard of these guys but those that have, may not know they're still alive and thriving.

MARILLION

I'm going to Montreal next weekend to see them play three shows for the North American Convention. 3 nights of completely different sets each night. Amazing stuff.

"Somewhere Else" live in London 2007:

"Fantastic Place" live in London 2004 (I was in the audience!)

"Neverland" from same 2004 concert:

Following the idea of amazing Steven Wilson bands you've never heard of:

NO-MAN

This is a band consisting of Steven Wilson (guitar, keyboards, production) and one of his childhood friends, Tim Bowness. These guys were even signed to CBS in the late 80's and had a higher profile than his "hobby band" Porcupine Tree, who have now completely eclipsed all the other projects Steven is involved in. Along with the next two projects (see the next two posts) he is also currently involved in production work for both Opeth and Anathema; working on a duo project with Michael Akerfeld of Opeth to be released in 2012; and mixing the entire King Crimson catalog into 5. 1 channel surround for reissue.

"All Sweet Things" promo video from their newest LP, Schoolyard Ghosts (2006)

"All the Blue Changes" live 2008:

"Angel Gets Caught In the Beauty Trap" - studio version featuring Robert Fripp guitar solo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89tWvzYtBD0

....and finally, to complete this little quartet of unknown projects all featuring Mr. Steven Wilson:

BLACKFIELD

This is his most current project, with their 3rd album released this month and a US tour just beginning. I actually get to see them next week!

This is a project featuring Aviv Geffen, who is a huge pop idol in his homeland of Israel. A huge fan of Porcupine Tree, he contacted Steven and was able to convince him to rework songs written by Geffen for the Blackfield projects.

"Blackfield" - XM Radio Session live

"Blackfield II" album preview promo video, again produced/created by Lasse Hoil:

Fuck, fuck, fuck fuck!! I've just lost a whole fucking load of incredibly diverse & obscure tracks, because I had too much media to post... So i'm doing a punk medley of lesser knowns from my youth (but I'm sure BB & Willy the Pimp will get these)

Deepthroat, I'd heaped glowing praise on a couple of your selections, but alas lost now... FUCK!

First up The Members with 'Sound of the Suburbs' & 'Solitary Confinment'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibtVBV-n_gA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8gGPumATZA

And Cockney rejects Oi Oi Oi!!!!!.. Av' it!!!

Can't stop now... This beats the lot... Here's the UK Subs doing 'Warhead'

Right I'll pack it up now, I feel a soi 6 coming on... the Ruts 'Babylons Burning'!!!!

I loved the UK Subs, Lung....saw 'em twice many years ago. Liked that "sounds of the suburbs'' also, I was always a big Members fan.

Seems like we all could come up with a ton of obscure bands we all like, I guess for me my favorite in the 'unheralded' department would be Jawbreaker. Achieving more fame in post-break-up years than when they were together, they left behind only 3 great albums and some of the best work by a 3-piece I have ever heard. Saw 'em in a small club in Cambrdige Mass near Harvard in 1996; epic show.