Favorite Musicians No One's Ever Heard Of

pdogg

Mr Hefe, thanks for sharing 'Dolphins' by Fred Neil... WOW!.. It's funny I never really liked Tim Buckley that much, but I just fell in love with this song when I was in my early teens watching it on 'the Old Grey Whisle Test' back in England.

If you don't mind me asking, what nationality are you Hefe, I can usually tell, but not this time?

I just love 'Love'! And was going to put their version of 'hey joe' up next... Well I'm doing it now anyway.

http://youtu.be/OPjG_Tle8PU

I think I'll start a favorite covers thread, because so many of the posts here have all been done by other people, just got to wait until I get back to CMX from my disaster ridden hols in Pattaya.

Thanks for joining the thread man...See this is just what I need with my never ending quest for obsure art of any kind & there's some really 'cute' geezers here with 'shed loads' of knowledge... Keep the good stuff coming!

This really is a good site to hang :hi:

We all have different tastes and few of the artists mentioned herein to this point suit my tastes. IMO, the term "heavy metal music" as with "rap music" are each an oxymoron.

Somewhat obscure singers/groups that suit my tastes would be The Squirrel Nut Zippers and Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCK!!... Why aren't the bastard pictures coming up for me!.. BB, PDogg, help me I've got a ton of stuff to post!

its very hit and miss with me also Lung-the last 2 Ive done sucessfully......try deleting the first(media)http:// that works for me ....sometimes....also put it on "use full editor straight away...try that....if all else fails....load it as it is....we can acess the vid by clicking on it....no big deal

BTW-that version of hey joe is good-at least you can tell every word said ,unlike Hendrix's mumbles

Here's a classic by the Buzzcocks..........Orgasm Addict............about those addicted to a good wank.

nice one PD-gotta admit ,never heard orgasm addict before...or if i did it was burnt out of my brain with alcohol,acid ,mandies and weed in the 70's.....shame on me..I actually worked with Pete Shelley's dad!-doh!

Here's a classic by the Buzzcocks..........Orgasm Addict............about those addicted to a good wank.

The FM Orgasmaddict, formally of TLF took his name from that song and confessed he was, aren't we all really. :rolleyes:

I thought BB might have uploaded this....no-one has heard of the rubber bandits yet....youve not seen anything like this...or have you?

That song certainly created a ripple here just before Xmas, very original and quite tongue in cheek.

Oh Jeezus willie, you've struck a nerve with me with Spirit..... Although I think a fair amount of their music hasn't necessarily aged well, not your tune, because they were pretty heavily influenced by jazz & that is almost a cult taste these days.

I saw most of the notable acts of that era (mostly because of where I lived + me & my friends played & were into music the way most guys are into sports). No shit: Spirit was one of the best live acts I've ever seen to this day, they could hold their own with L Zep or the Allmans or the Who, no kidding.(Well....maybe not The Who or Cream! :acute: )

The guitarist, Randy, had this whole arsenal of effects & sustain (not a given back then) that he did live back in the analog days, he had a little table with tape loops & knobs & boxes & god knows what that basically did what all these current day pedals & digital effects do, and he did them all "by hand".... Amazing.

In fact when the teen Randy California was playing in Greenwich Village with his earlier band, a guy who played nearby at the Cafe Wha would come & see him & was so impressed by his technique & experiments that he asked him to join him in a new band backing him, Jimmy James, up. Randy decided he wanted to be the lead & went to LA & formed Spirit & Jimmy James went to London & became Jimi Hendrix.... true story!

Lung.... I'm a damn yank! :devil:

We all have different tastes and few of the artists mentioned herein to this point suit my tastes. IMO, the term "heavy metal music" as with "rap music" are each an oxymoron.

Somewhat obscure singers/groups that suit my tastes would be The Squirrel Nut Zippers and Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers.

just looked up the squrrel nut zippers.....love'em lefty...i'll have a look for your other reccomends also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Yfc479Eo8&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

Khun Heef you damm Yank, yes your nationality has become very apparent now!

Absolutely loved the 'Seven & seven is' clip... Blew me away!

thanks for the Fred Neil info, I'd heard loads about, but didn't know a lot about, especially the Dolphins info!

I really loved Spirit too!.. Still do in fact, but I myself didn't quite figure they were obscure enough?

It's funny that you say a lot of their stuff sounds dated now, because in the UK there's been a huge resurgence of interest in them with a whole new generation of kids... What a shame they haven't jumped on the 'Love' thing, because for me personally 'Love ' was the better band; but then your knowledge of 'spirit' is so much more extensive than mine, so you could no doubt introduce me to a whole load of stuff that didn't come over to our side of the pond... So again, thanks for the knowledge exchange man!

BTW, saw 'The Who' at Charlton Athletic Football ground in 1976... Yeah, great live act!.. We were only kids at the time & as Charlton was a local club we knew ever possible way to sneak into the groung... so it was for free too!

Pimpy, yes, I looooooove Dr. John... Went to see him in London about 5 years ago, it was fucking brilliant! BTW, thanks for bringing Spirit to everyones attention!..

You mentioned Nick Drake earlier... It's funny along with the resurgence of interest in Spirit the kids are jumping on Nick drake too nowdays... Cool.

What was Pete Shelly's dad like?

Khun Lefty, you big bundle of fun, I liked 'Squirrel Nut Zippers', they reminded me of a band called 'The Darts' from around my way back in the mid/late 70's Anyway, here's the Darts, maybe you'll like them? they weren't really my cup of tea to be honest.

http://youtu.be/TQVsTHDbrFM

How's your trip been?.. Mine was shit... And thanks for the B12 tip, much appreciated!

This fucking picture thing still isn't working & I'm on my fucking home computer too... This is really starting to piss me off now!

yeah the darts...I loved 'em......here's my favourite darts song,especially for the FM's from the Big Apple

[/media]

Pete Shelley's dad?nice bloke...he came to drive a lorry for the firm I worked for in '78(?).He used to work in the pits,and when they closed he took the money ..he wasn't a muso,just a working bloke.The buzzcocks were just taking off then,so we'd always hope Pete would come in to see his da,but he never did.

I did meet Mick Hucknall(simply Red) once in a small club in MCR,gave him a load of abuse for having ginger dreadlocks, I was pissed ...he hadn't hit the big time then,and I didnt know who he was,just that he looked like a twat.

I checked out the amelie tracks you uploaded Lung,it brought back this song,stuck in one forgotton part of my brain,a haunting tune called nine by nine-johm Dummer blues band,tho' its more jazz than blues...

[/media]

Since this thread has been running its brought back loads of memories for me,and my love of music.

I was always a bit different than my mates tho'....most of them were into tamla motown and soul music,and while I could listen to it,it never floated my boat....

About the age of 16 I left home for the 1st time ,and moved in with some hippies in an "ARTS LAB"-55555 -God bless 'em,they introduced me to The doors,Love,Velvet Underground,Spirit ,and bands I would never have heard on the radio in Mcr(well,maybe the doors)-as well as the music,they introduced me to cannabis and lsd,lightshows and live bands.

Associated with this a"arts lab" was a woman who had the catering contract for The Liverpool stadium(long since demolished)and every month we would go there when there were bands on,usually 3 or 4 per night.The promoter was an young jewish guy,now world famous(cannot for the life of me remeber his name),and he cut his teeth at the Liverpool Stadium.

I seen so many bands there,I cannot remeber them all....I was making sandwiches at the back of the stadium,but in full view of the stage,only about 30 yrds away....most of the bands never made the big time,but a few who did were....Hawkwind,Atomic Rooster,Mott the Hoople There were also plenty who recorded the odd single and were well known in the UK...Blodwyn Pigg,The Edgar Broughton band (the only band i ever knew who released a cover of a Beefheart song)The Keef Hartleyband,Quintessence,Juicy Lucy,Stone the crows(quite well known),Taste,Tir na nog.....

Any of them ring a bell lUNG?

try deleting the first(media)http:// that works for me

Lung, I suspect as Willie says you may be pasting the whole link over http://.

For all u other guys, Below the B are three computer screens. Click that icon and put in the regular ole link, not the embed code. Just make sure u don't have http:// twice. :fpc:

Willie, funny you should mention it, I had actually thought about mentioning Blodwyn Pig but didn't want to hog up this thread with my "obscurities". Here in the States hardly anyone has heard of them, glad to hear they are more respected & known in UK. That great guitarist Mick Abrams I believe has been having health issues recently.

Lung I'm really glad that kids in the UK are aware of Spirit, it gives me hope! :yahoo: Thanks for your contributions here too.

To bring things up to date my current "obscure" fave: the subdudes, my favorite live act this century. At the end of their electric set they unplug & wander into the audience & do a true acoustic number or 2.... I appreciate that they seem like they are still having fun after 25 years or so & not just phoning it in.

Heef man... I love the Subdudes as well & even considered posting them earlier... But then again silly old me didn't figure that they were obscure enough... They were quite big on the UK R n'B scene back in the mid/late nineties... Absolute quality band!

If you like the Subdudes you must like this lot of obscurish favorite's of mine 'Big House'.

Pimpy, you've just mentioned MY BAND... Hawkwind!!!.. Alas not obscure enough though, but as I've got sooooo much to say about them I will now start a 'covers' thread (they did the original 'Motorhead' BTW), because I weren't just a fan, I was more like a frakin' disciple!.. They were everything the fledgling delinquent into oddness could wish for!

I know all the other bands you mentioned, but I don't recall 'The Edgar Broughton band' or Tír na nÓg, you got the better of me there man... And same as Heef, really glad you mentioned Blodwyn Pig!!!

I looked up Tir na nog... Loved em'!

Here's Urban Guerrilla.. Hawkwind

http://youtu.be/b2UUdMaB2wo

Anyone know Hayseed Dixy... I love this bunch doing bluegrass versions of 'rock classics'... And as I'm into 'Lemmie', doing 'The ace of Spades'

Or Micheal Hedges?.. Here doing all along the watchtower... I can't stop posting covers!

I still can't get the pics up PDogg!!? The htpp:// thingie's only on the damm thing once & I even tried them all first time around with the http:// taken off. And I haven't got a clue what you're on about when you say, "under the 'B' logo... What logo?

I've tried the 'full editor mode too'.

All I do know is that this has been happening since the lettering on the 'share' thingie blew up to twice it's normal size & in bold letters too, already 'blued out' as if selected to copy or cut?... And that's on both computers.

Now I know I'm not the brightest of FM's (as you do too), but I just can't work this out man, it's driving me bananas!

Do you think it could be a Youtube setting thing????

Heef man... I love the Subdudes as well & even considered posting them earlier... But then again silly old me didn't figure that they were obscure enough... They were quite big on the UK R n'B scene back in the mid/late nineties... Absolute quality band!

If you like the Subdudes you must like this lot of obscurish favorite's of mine 'Big House'.

Pimpy, you've just mentioned MY BAND... Hawkwind!!!.. Alas not obscure enough though, but as I've got sooooo much to say about them I will now start a 'covers' thread (they did the original 'Motorhead' BTW), because I weren't just a fan, I was more like a frakin' disciple!.. They were everything the infant delinquent into oddness could wish for!

I know all the other bands you mentioned, but I don't recall 'The Edgar Broughton band' or Tír na nÓg, you got the better of me there man... And same as Heef, really glad you mentioned Blodwyn Pig!!!

I looked up Tir na nog... Loved em'!

Here's Urban Guerrilla.. Hawkwind

http://youtu.be/b2UUdMaB2wo

Anyone know Hayseed Dixy... I love this bunch doing bluegrass versions of 'rock classics'... As I'm into Lemmie, doing 'The ace of Spades'

Or Micheal Hedges?.. Here doing all along the watchtower... I can't stop posting covers!

Hi folks,never heard of the subdudes before-but I can tell I'd like them.

Never heard of Michael Hedges-loved the cover....The edgar broughton band?,saw them loads of times....they had a great anthem,Out Demons Out, which was sorta their theme tune.

During my "arts lab sojourn,We also hosted loads of bands there,the pink fairies ,skin alley (both london bands I think) and a local band from Stockport called greasy bear.....I looked them up on you tube but couldn't find them....but serendipiditiously I found a great band from NY called THE GRIZZLY BEARS...great sound.

[/media]

[/media]

I like Charlie Feathers Lefty!.. Keep em' coming mate... How were the jeans?

Willy, sometimes you fuckin' amaze me mate!... Skin Alley actually had a bit of a Hawkwind link up, both starting out as West London festival bands, as did 'The Pink Faries' too... As ahead of their time as these three bands were, it's always seemed really funny to me that none of these bands sound anything like you'd expect from a big city. I believe that there's some former members of both Hawkwind & Skin Alley band playing together nowdays in a band called Space Ritual.

Fuck, these two tracks bring back memories

Right, I've fuckin' had it now with this pictures thing!.. Fuck it, these two didn't come out so I'm off the thread (I think I can hear faint applause in the background)& the whole world can go fuck itself... Unless someone can help dig me out of the shit here, of course?

Is this the first sulk of the site I wonder?

[/media]

Right, I've fuckin' had it now with this pictures thing!.. Fuck it, these two didn't come out so I'm off the thread (I think I can hear faint applause in the background)& the whole world can go fuck itself... Unless someone can help dig me out of the shit here, of course?

Is this the first sulk of the site I wonder?

55555-yes mate,that's the first sulk of the forum!!!

Here's the pink fairies again...

• Upvote 1