Favorite Musicians No One's Ever Heard Of

pdogg

I like this bunch too

And i can be bothered to dig a few of the others out, so here's Sambasundra from Indonesia... Smiling Dancer, just look at this chicks arse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt3XFh3C_uA

And Nitin Sawhney-Bengali song

Nitin Sawhney-Bengali song

Aian Dudal - a chant of devotion and praise

Mongolian throat singing!

Taj Mahal - The Calypsonians

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VG_NjYlZ0U

I cant seem to upload any now-its so hit and miss...is there a tutorial on here on how t?o do it every time....

Hey Willie, here ya go.....

Step 1..........find the regular ole url (not the embed code) of what u want to upload such as this obscure tune which I fookin love: :yahoo:

Step 2........................Click the Media Icon which is the three TV screens unnder the B at the top of your post.

Step 3 ........................insert the url, click insert and it "should" work.

Loved Joy division & I always liked that Manchester scene Willy... superb choice!

PDogg & Wily, Went to a Buzzcocks reunion gig last time I was back in the UK!.. Not quite the same without Pete Shelly... But it was still a fucking night!.. I even managed to get in a punch up in the local town centre afterwards... Bit embarrasing for a bloke in his late 40's!

JaiDee, you just keep putting me on a fucking spin man!.. You even know the lyrics to 'Subs' songs!.. fucking wow!.. I always thought the lesser bands were really localised appeal, plus all these bands were 'strictly speaking' the 'Lads' wave of music that came straight after punk... I didn't think any Americans would have heard of this stuff?

To be honest I don't think The Stone Roses, Smiths or Buzzcocks or The Smiths are obscure enough, but we're enjoying ourselves so here's one for the Yanks, seen them loads of times in London, love em'... Devo!!

And how about 'The Only Ones'... John Peel's favorites!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3vd6lL_uec

Now I'm goining really obscure, as we all know there are various dark sides dark sides that can be crossed over into in this life... One being the ‘avant garde’ classical music area... Maybe we have to ask ourselves, "do we really want to go there"?... Anyway, I'm going to tentatively offer up a Brian Eno number 'I'll Come Running to tie your shoe' rearranged by 'The Popoli Dalpane Ensemble'... I looooooooooooooooooooove this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW... Glad you mentioned Nick Drake earlier Pimp

Shit, still ain't done yet here's Phil Manzanerea doing Eno's 'Baby's on Fire' (with Brian Eno doing vocals), which was actually a serious number about the in the world famous photo taken during the Vietnam war of the poor unfortunate little girl running with all her burning flesh hanging off of her... The fucking photographers just kept shooting rather than helping!

JaiDee, you just keep putting me on a fucking spin man!.. You even know the lyrics to 'Subs' songs!... I always thought the lesser bands were really localised appeal, plus all these bands were 'strictly speaking' the 'Lads' wave of music that came straight after punk... I didn't think any Americans would have heard of this stuff?

well, my friends and myself started in on the punk scene not long after it broke in the UK circa 1976.....we were all metal-heads in junior high school and by 77 and 78 were looking for something new and we found it in The Clash and the Pistols, Ramones and the Damned, etc..... by 1980 and '81 when the Subs and bands like GBH and Discharge were taking over, as well as the west coast hardcore sounds of bands like Black Flag and DOA and Dead Kennedy's, we were fully immersed in the scene and knew all the bands by heart. As you know it was a rather underground scene back then, kind of cult-ish, so once a new band came on and got a little big we all would know about it and swap records {remember them?} around.

But Pdogg's thread here can mean different things to different people; I mean, I didn't know even one of the Jazz names thrown out earlier, and I am sure a lot of them didn't know these names that we like as well. heck, I could come up with another 50 or so bands who only made an album or 2 and then disbanded without making a dent on the public psyche, but how long can this thread go on hahaha??

Another unkknown band from Chicago who I really liked; made 3 albums in the early 90's and then broke up when the lead singer/guitarist committed suicide; you may like this song, it's kind of catchy.

well, my friends and myself started in on the punk scene not long after it broke in the UK circa 1976.....we were all metal-heads in junior high school and by 77 and 78 were looking for something new and we found it in The Clash and the Pistols, Ramones and the Damned, etc..... by 1980 and '81 when the Subs and bands like GBH and Discharge were taking over, as well as the west coast hardcore sounds of bands like Black Flag and DOA and Dead Kennedy's, we were fully immersed in the scene and knew all the bands by heart. As you know it was a rather underground scene back then, kind of cult-ish, so once a new band came on and got a little big we all would know about it and swap records {remember them?} around.

But Pdogg's thread here can mean different things to different people; I mean, I didn't know even one of the Jazz names thrown out earlier, and I am sure a lot of them didn't know these names that we like as well. heck, I could come up with another 50 or so bands who only made an album or 2 and then disbanded without making a dent on the public psyche, but how long can this thread go on hahaha??

Another unkknown band from Chicago who I really liked; made 3 albums in the early 90's and then broke up when the lead singer/guitarist committed suicide; you may like this song, it's kind of catchy.

Funnily enough with punk it was 76 for me too, the beginning of my last year at school.

I liked all the bands you mentioned... and I really liked the band you’ve just posted ‘Material Issue’, yeah catchy!! Talking about vinyl, I got rid of two full chest type boxes last time I was back in England & I’m still really kicking myself now... Silliest thing I done since marrying the ex!

Has I said earlier on about Pdogg's thread I think it has to be a bit open otherwise folk will post completely unheard of novelty stuff & their mates bands & that kinda stuff & then they’ll kill the thread dead, so I figure what we’re doing falls within the remit for this thread? I’m the drifting off topic type anyway, I can’t help it.

And yeah, you/I/ we can all go on forever with this sort of obscurish stuff... And JaiDee... This thread can go on forever too! There’s a part of me wants to see how diverse I can get before other FM’s start telling me to fuck off! Plus I think it can give you a great little insight into some of the other FM’s... And apart from anything else, I’m not a lot of good at writing anyway!

Here's the perfect retort to your posting of that naughty little line from ‘Stranglehold’... Here’s a slightly earlier obscurish band that I used to follow around... Sometimes called the British Ramones... Hands together for the Lurkers doing ‘Just thirteen’!

I should be arrested for putting this one up! :ph34r:

Thanx guys for broadening my musical knowledge...I can't believe i never knew the lurkers or the partizans...mind you ,I was in an achoholic haze in the 70's...so its a wonder I can remember anything....I like devo also...ive heard them before,but not a lot...reminiscent of talking heads....i liked the valerie song....a little catchy pop is ok...

Maybe the smiths,joy division etc are not obscure to us brits lung,but I was amazed last month when a muso New Yorker(not PD) told me he had never heard of The Smiths...or Ian Dury! Some sounds just did not travel across the big pond,and vice versa....there must be dozens of bands in the US ,good bands ,ive never heard of..so here's the place to spread the word....

Finally...i wanna dedicate this song to PD-I was mightily impressed he knew all about the specials

although I was never a ska or reggae fan...I love the sound of this ....a song written after the riots in the uk-summer of 81

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1WhhSBgd3KI

JaiDee, The Partisans!!!.. What a fuckin' band! Brilliant choice & a great track!

In the same sort of vein here's Discharge with 'State Violence-State Control'

Deepthroat (Great Avatar, by the way)... loved, Steven Wilson "Harmony Korine", very Radiohead!

Pimpy, the mid to late 70's was just a pissed up, drug fuelled 'white knuckle ride' of sheer nonsense & mayhem for me too, but I can still remember the bands man!

I actually remember the Brixton riots really well too, one of my best mates (who recently died from drink) had a little 'wooden hut' newsagent's shop at the time & we had to sit on the roof of the thing for several nights trying to dissuade the mob from ripping the fucking thing to bits... It was so unbelievably terrifying like you just couldn't possibly believe!.. But luckily for us the rioters around us could see that we were kids & just like them so we got left alone!

And yeah, I was trying to explain to KenW, what's obscure in one man's country might well not be somewhere else’s & viccy vercy, but for me obscure’s just got to be obscure & that's that!

I hated that whole Ska, white reggae thing, that just really gave me the shits, but I can just about stomach the Special & Selector, I used to fancy the fuck out of Pauline Black.

BTW, I've just watched that 'Rubber Bandits' again, the lyrics are fucking brilliant!!!!

BB, why aren't you here?

Right back to punk shortly, but now I'd like to change the mood a little with first up a couple of early eighties non-runners that I thought really ought to have gone somewhere at the time.

Icicleworks doing Evangeline

Roaring Boys doing House of Stone

And sticking with the early eighties again here's The Explores doing Loralie. They were actually Roxy Music without Brian Ferry. Now whilst the new singer here definitely weren't ever going to be no Brian Ferry, not all the time he has a hole in his arse, this still became somewhat of a favorite of mine at the time!

http://youtu.be/Rb4C2t8EoJU

Right, only one more today because I was out on the booze at Pook Swans utill the very, very early wee hours this morning with some of our chums Pimpy... Shame, I hear there was a party on at Famous last night?

Anyway, I love this fucking guy, ex lead singer with Family Rodger Chapman!!!! Chappo the man!!

Here with his own band The shortlist with MY MATE Geof Whitehorn on guitar! It's a shame I couldn't find any better material of him on Youtube, sorry lads.

AGHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! What's happening PDogg, the pictures haven't come out?

Have we got a resident techie here?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notfair:

I liked the house of stone lung....the explorers do sound just like roxy music unsurprisingly....the roger chapman never loaded..but I remember Family...i had an album of theirs...cant remember the name now..yeah,obscure,I think thats subjective...some people would say Frank Zappa is obscure (even tho' he recorded 60+ albums),just because lots of people have never heard his stuff....anyway...I like all sorts myself,some more than others...I'm glad you weren't a fan of ska /reggae Lung....some acts I particularly disliked...i would even now,hunt down and kill UB40 .....Here's a guaranteed obscure group(unless you're german that is)..they were top of the charts in the 90's in Deutschland....a trio of mixed race girl rappers from the ruhr....this song is called "piss off" and their other big hit was "I think youre shit"....I cant imagine they'd be played on the radio in the uk or usa,but in Germany,anything goes...

BTW Lung-check out the other rubberbandits songs..."I wanna fight your father" and "bag of glue" well worth hearing ...

[/media]

Some pretty impressive nominations, tho I admit to being musically otherwise engaged during the punk era (ie., it wasn't my coming of age soundtrack). But the other stuff is impressive.

The song Tim Buckley is singing in one of the earliest posts, "The Dolphins", was actually written by my favorite "obscurity": Fred Neil. He's the most famous (60's) musician you never heard of: Dylan's first appearances in NYC was on stage backing him, Jefferson Airplane did his songs & wrote a couple about him (Ballad of you & me & pooneil), also Roy Orbison, the Dead, the Spoonful.... maybe the first folkie to go electric....

His meal ticket was writing "Everybody's Talking at Me", used that to quit the music biz & move to Florida & work with dolphins. A legendary recluse - there's no film & not a lot of photos of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4wnGTwLtg&feature=related

As a nod to the "punkers" here's a band that preceded punk by about 10 years, proto punk, LOVE. When I heard this tune, "7&7 is" as a kid in the mid 60's my short hairs stood up.... here is the writer/singer with a new band almost 40 years later a year or 2 before he died. And then the wonderful "Alone again or"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65CqDLURZrQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egX0jsWdqV4&feature=fvwrel

• Upvote 1

Thanx hefe for those posts...never heard of Fred...what a great voice,i prefer that version to the TimBuckley version....also,I always assumed Nillsson wrote "everybod's talking"...big respect to Fred for that classic...

Yeah,I was also gonna use LOVE as an obscure band,I had the "alone again ,or" album many moons ago,and there was another american band around the same time-ill see if i can find anything by them also....